Why are the Browns the sexy pick?

10 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree. The national media already loves the story of the 2019 Cleveland Browns before it even begins. Cleveland is loaded with big names and strong personalities. This team is either going to be an overwhelming success, or will crash and burn quite hard imo. I can already imagine how some of those personalities would react to a losing streak. Does this team have the character to overcome the tough times good football rise above? I’m not convinced of that, especially under the leadership of a first time head coach. 

I'm taking the under.   Diva teams never do very well.  the media builds them up and starting in September they will tear them down

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Red King said:

"Good" isn't the same as "best in the AFC".  I mean, in that poll they were put on par with NE and KC, and above every other AFC team based solely on how they look on paper.

I’m not saying that their roster is “good.” I am saying that it is THE best in the AFC. KC just lost Berry, ford and are about to lose Houston. They had the best roster IMO but not anymore. 

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

If the Bills made all the same moves you'd be expecting them to get the kind of attention the Browns are now receiving?

Not in the least, which is why I'm wondering why Cleveland's getting it.  Improved, yes.  Best in AFC?  No.

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Not in the least, which is why I'm wondering why Cleveland's getting it.  Improved, yes.  Best in AFC?  No.

That's good.  Had to check because I think a lot of Bills fans would be expecting it to be the case.

11 hours ago, The Red King said:

...wish I was making it up.

Poll.jpg

Thanks for that helpful tidbit, except this post is questioning why the Browns are given a free pass while the Bills have to prove themselves, so it is Bills' relevant. ?

I agree.  I understood you’re point.  The Browns with OBJ, etc. are a sexy prediction, but in the end who cares.  As I’ve often said, prove it on the field and don’t listen to the noise.  As an aside, the Chiefs jettisoned any decent player on defense for a bad defense so they better hope for an out of the park draft.

We as well need to knock it out of the park in the draft, and maybe ***** Ansah, and we could contend this year.  Maybe.

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I fully expect them to underachieve. Just seems to be too many egos to manage. At some point they’ll hate each other I don’t care if Beckham and Landry are friends or not. But if Baker flames out they’re back to the laughing stock. I’ve never been a big baker fan, he’s Jeff Garcia 2.0 to me. But I’m no quarterback expert. 

So your mind has been made up on mayfield. That’s basically the only reason you are thinking this way. The dude just broke the rookie td record in 14 games. 

This is always silly to me and the same thing the national media has done with Allen. Their minds were foolishly made up before he ever played a full season and then they tried to double down even after a strong finish. 

My advice to people like this is a take a step back, realize you were probably wrong, and give whatever player you judged too quickly the credit they deserve. Mayfield is gonna be really good, man. 

.... and Jeff Garcia was a 4 time probowler back when it still meant something. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I fully expect them to underachieve. Just seems to be too many egos to manage. At some point they’ll hate each other I don’t care if Beckham and Landry are friends or not. But if Baker flames out they’re back to the laughing stock. I’ve never been a big baker fan, he’s Jeff Garcia 2.0 to me. But I’m no quarterback expert. 

If Josh Allen in 2019 has the year Baker had in 2018, you will call him our franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

It's simple, the Browns signed and traded for a bunch of top tier players so far and the Bill's may have signed a bunch of players too, but they weren't top tier level guys so they arent a sexy pick. The guys the Bill's signed are good, and will help this team be better, but they arent the big names that are co sided elite game changers like Odell and Hunt. Realistically, there probably the same chance that Buffalo is just as good or better as the Browns this year as the Browns superstars not meshing and the Browns being a disaster again. With those top tier talent comes alot of ego and diva mentalities.......

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Browns are cheap.   the only cap issue they have is meeting the cap spending minimum.  

Not anymore they aren’t.  They’re spending big to try to win now. Their active spending will almost certainly be above the cap this year.  They likely will be digging into their carryover cap space as well.  Zero issue with the cap floor.  And they aren’t done yet. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap/

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Again, if I'm a Browns fan  - and I'm not - I am loving my teams chance for a turn-around. There is no reason whatsoever to be "scared". Are things going to get worse than they've been?  What the F is there to be scared of? Media expectations? Yawn.

BTW, I hope they implode. Can't stand OBJ or Jarvis Landry. Baker seems like a d-bag too. 

You think the Browns are a team to hate now? Just wait until they start winning. There are a lot of cocky, outspoken players on that team and those mouths aren’t going to stay shut.  They’ll be one of the most loved/hated teams in the league depending on their level of success and how you feel about that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Not anymore they aren’t.  They’re spending big to try to win now. Their active spending will almost certainly be above the cap this year.  They likely will be digging into their carryover cap space as well.  Zero issue with the cap floor.  And they aren’t done yet. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap/

this year because they have to of face "punishment" by the league 

2019 they had a $56.5 mil rollover 

2018 they had $50 Mil in cap space LEFT over 

2017 they had $59 Mil in cap space LEFT over 

2018 they had $45 Mil in cap space LEFT over 

The Browns have been very cheap and the 1-31 proved it in 16 and 17.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So your mind has been made up on mayfield. That’s basically the only reason you are thinking this way. The dude just broke the rookie td record in 14 games. 

This is always silly to me and the same thing the national media has done with Allen. Their minds were foolishly made up before he ever played a full season and then they tried to double down even after a strong finish. 

My advice to people like this is a take a step back, realize you were probably wrong, and give whatever player you judged too quickly the credit they deserve. Mayfield is gonna be really good, man. 

.... and Jeff Garcia was a 4 time probowler back when it still meant something. 

I never said Baker was a bad quarterback. Just I’m not a fan of his. I don’t think he’s as special as many make him out to be. And I don’t think he’ll be much better than he already is which isn’t exactly a bad thing. The Jeff Garcia comparison wasn’t meant to be a knock that’s just who he reminds me of. 

The fanboy love him and Mahomes get on here is kinda sickening at times 

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

this year because they have to of face "punishment" by the league 

2018 they had $50 Mil in cap space LEFT over 

2017 they had $59 Mil in cap space LEFT over 

2018 they had $45 Mil in cap space LEFT over 

The Browns have been very cheap and the 1-31 proved it.  

That isn’t true. They were saving for this, but they actually kept their active spending and cash spending up in recent years. It was a function of horrible drafting and losing.  They did not have many second contracts to give out and they had to overpay dearly for free agents.

What looked like a massive amount of cap space was due to carryover from many seasons. The Bills looked to have similar cap space this season, but the reality was very different.  The Bills has very little carryover.  Their space was a function of having had spent up to the cap recently and, after cutting ties with many players and taking a lot of dead money last season, having relatively little cap space dedicated to contracts.  It’s the difference between having $60M in the bank and being set to spend $60M less than your budget annually. 

the Browns were better than the Bills last year, are seen to have the best quarterback from that draft (Baker > Darnold, JA), have made the splashiest FA signings, acquired more All-Pros than the Bills and Jets, and have seen their conference rivals Steelers and Ravens get weaker while the Patriots just won yet another SB.

It's a slam dunk for the national media. Just look at it on paper without your Buffalo vision on.

15 hours ago, The Red King said:

Following free agency, I hopped over to nfl.com and saw an article on whether or not the Patriots were still the favorites.  Poking through the comments though, I saw no mention of the improvements the Bills and Jets have made, most noting the AFC East will be a cakewalk for the Pats.  Okay, I get it, improvements on paper are one thing, but you gotta show improvement on the field.  At the same time, one analyst mentions the Chiefs and Browns as competition.  And the official website poll asks which team is the best in the AFC.  The options are the Pats, the Chiefs, and the...Browns? ?  Not the Chargers, not the Steelers, not the Ravens...the Browns.

Yes, the Browns have improved since last year, but they went 7-8-1, a losing record.  How do they get included in "best of the AFC" discussions without having to prove anything?  Last year was no different, despite going 0-16, some people were picking them to make and even go deep in the playoffs!  I guess I'm just wondering why teams like the Bills and Jets have to prove themselves and the Browns, who have been categorically/historically worse then them get a free pass and become the sexy favorite?

They have improved their team DRAMATICALLY compared to really the rest of the AFC

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For example:

OBJ > OJB    

(Ol' John Brown, that is)

The perception is that the quality of the Browns talent accumulated is much higher.........and in a matchup league that means a lot.

The list is long......Landry or Beasley.......Myles Garrett or Jerry Hughes......Dave Njoku or Kroft/Croom.......

A painful but fun exercise, which Bills FA signings would start for the Patriots? None. The Browns? Hmm

• Like (+1) 1

The Brown's have early movement in Vegas to top 3 in the AFC to make it to the big show. It makes sense to me. KC and the Brown's are the next two new exciting young teams loaded with star talent. If their offensive line holds up and they learn the new system the potential is real. Do I like the Brown's? Not really! Do I think the Brown's fans deserve hope. For sure! 

I believe that KC is one player injury Hall/QB/TE from a 9-7/8-8 season. Their defense is just sad now. You cannot compete when your offense is sitting on the bench.

I think the Bears are quietly moving into elite also. They may not have the dream QB, however they should take another step forward too. Bears vs Browns in Super bowl is not out of the question.

Yes I am a huge Bills fan and have been to every 90's playoff game, plus a horrid Dallas Super Bowl. And yes my family runs a Bills Backers club, but the Bills are slowly on the rise and not worthy yet. I feel the positive energy, however we have some serious work to still do. My guess is 2020/2021 championship game? At that point Brady and Brees will be taking dirt naps. The Bills should have solid starters throughout and the Josh will know this system like a Vet. I can handle one more year of making some noise and dealing with some heartbreakers.