Why are the Browns the sexy pick?

Following free agency, I hopped over to nfl.com and saw an article on whether or not the Patriots were still the favorites.  Poking through the comments though, I saw no mention of the improvements the Bills and Jets have made, most noting the AFC East will be a cakewalk for the Pats.  Okay, I get it, improvements on paper are one thing, but you gotta show improvement on the field.  At the same time, one analyst mentions the Chiefs and Browns as competition.  And the official website poll asks which team is the best in the AFC.  The options are the Pats, the Chiefs, and the...Browns? ?  Not the Chargers, not the Steelers, not the Ravens...the Browns.

Yes, the Browns have improved since last year, but they went 7-8-1, a losing record.  How do they get included in "best of the AFC" discussions without having to prove anything?  Last year was no different, despite going 0-16, some people were picking them to make and even go deep in the playoffs!  I guess I'm just wondering why teams like the Bills and Jets have to prove themselves and the Browns, who have been categorically/historically worse then them get a free pass and become the sexy favorite?

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

for reelz?

...wish I was making it up.

Poll.jpg

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

There’s a separate forum for non Bills news

Thanks for that helpful tidbit, except this post is questioning why the Browns are given a free pass while the Bills have to prove themselves, so it is Bills' relevant. ?

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The least that the majority of people expect them to do is win the division - Pittsburgh is in turmoil, Baltimore is transitioning big time on defense (and already were midway through the year on offense), and the Bengals...are looking like they're going to be as bad as they were before Marvin Lewis joined the team. Harbaugh always has his team well coached and the Steelers should still do fairly well, but based on all the firepower on the Browns roster, I'd pick them to win the North as of today.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JimKellyTryouts said:

The least that the majority of people expect them to do is win the division - Pittsburgh is in turmoil, Baltimore is transitioning big time on defense (and already were midway through the year on offense), and the Bengals...are looking like they're going to be as bad as they were before Marvin Lewis joined the team. Harbaugh always has his team well coached and the Steelers should still do fairly well, but based on all the firepower on the Browns roster, I'd pick them to win the North as of today.

Yeah, but best in the entire AFC?

They did win 5 of 7 to close  last season. They still have last year's offensive identity (with the OC becoming the HC). They have added OBJ to the offense and traded for Vernon and signed Sheldon Richardson (which is underrated given th ehoopla over OBJ) to the Defense. And they have Kareem Hunt waiting in the wings. They are loaded at every damn position. Every other team in  their division took a step backward. What is not to like?

There are only 2 question marks -

What happens to team chemistry?

How much does losing DC Gregg Williams for Steve WIlks hurt the defense?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Isn’t it obvious why people are expecting them to be good? They have the most talented roster in the AFC. Maybe they don’t get there this year but they are loaded.

"Good" isn't the same as "best in the AFC".  I mean, in that poll they were put on par with NE and KC, and above every other AFC team based solely on how they look on paper.

• Like (+1) 1

For example:

OBJ > OJB    

(Ol' John Brown, that is)

The perception is that the quality of the Browns talent accumulated is much higher.........and in a matchup league that means a lot.

The list is long......Landry or Beasley.......Myles Garrett or Jerry Hughes......Dave Njoku or Kroft/Croom.......

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

For example:

OBJ > OJB    

(Ol' John Brown, that is)

The perception is that the quality of the Browns talent accumulated is much higher.........and in a matchup league that means a lot.

The list is long......Landry or Beasley.......Myles Garrett or Jerry Hughes......Dave Njoku or Kroft/Croom.......

Not saying they won't be good, but you're telling me they're one of the top three teams in the AFC right now?

The Browns are trying to get good really quickly. That normally doesn’t work, it could backfire. 

Id be curious what their cap will be in a couple years. 

I really do not like the OBJ trade for them, this is an attempt to appease the fan base for suffering and to become relevant 

nationally. It’s working but the pitfalls can be devestating.

We shall see. 

Not sure they will be that good already.

• Like (+1) 1

Again, this isn't about whether or not Cleveland could be good.  It's about the media already putting them on par with NE and KC with nothing being proven.  Yes, they have a roster that could go to the big game, no doubt.  Don't think I'm quite ready to say with certainty already that they're as good as NE and KC.  Not without seeing a bit of the product on the field.

Edited by The Red King

I hear ya—it’s a good narrative for the NFL though, and they have the talent pickups to make it happen—if they make it happen, which I’m not totally sold on yet either. They haven’t proven anything yet, other than that Hue was given a few years too many.