Panthers have released Matt Kalil

CLTbills

35 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I’ve never really understood how offensive linemen wash out of the NFL after being so good i college.. of all the positions that’s seem like they should be easy transitions, OL seems relatively straightforward. 

Two things, speed and strength. Mostly speed. Pro game is faster, some guys can adjust, others just physically can’t.

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

I think it's because the talent level of what they have to go up against, is both much higher, and more consistent. You never get to take plays off in the NFL (not without having to pay for it anyway).

Also, as mentioned in a recent discussion about O-line play, many college teams are running the spread where an O-lineman only has to hold off his defender for a short time. 

Yeah this guy is a warning to all the Jonah Williams lovers that want to take him in the top ten. Khalil was a really good college tackle who had some flaws in his game, but was considered the next big thing. Really athletic and all, but he struggled with elite rushers and he was a bit light in the pants, so he was mediocre in the NFL. Their combine numbers are very close, but Khalil was an inch or two taller, has longer arms, and is stronger. Just like Robert Gallery and Luke Joeckel, that's what you are getting with Jonah Williams. He's more of a late first round guy for me. 

He is not elite, therefore you should take him in the top ten. Take an elite defensive guy.  

That guy that posted that we didn't sign any Panthers this FA just jinxed us. Was never a big fan of M. Khalil, it seems like he just doesn't want to play football but wants to get paid. 

I think taking a OT that is a 2nd or 3rd rd prospect that has a amazing combine that pushes them into the top 10 is risky. Taking a LT like Jonah Williams who might be the most fundamentally sound LT that I have ever seen and proved it by playing against top competition is a easy pick at 9. His intelligence, understanding and awareness of his craft are impressive and he is outstanding in pass protection. I think in 2 years this guy will be a top 5 LT.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah this guy is a warning to all the Jonah Williams lovers that want to take him in the top ten. Khalil was a really good college tackle who had some flaws in his game, but was considered the next big thing. Really athletic and all, but he struggled with elite rushers and he was a bit light in the pants, so he was mediocre in the NFL. Their combine numbers are very close, but Khalil was an inch or two taller, has longer arms, and is stronger. Just like Robert Gallery and Luke Joeckel, that's what you are getting with Jonah Williams. He's more of a late first round guy for me. 

He is not elite, therefore you should take him in the top ten. Take an elite defensive guy.  

I think Jonah Williams could be a very good NFLer, at Guard.   His strength is pulling down the line in the run game,  The film screams guard to me.