Panthers have released Matt Kalil

CLTbills

Have to believe OBD knew this and went ahead with Ty Nsekhe signing given Kalil didn't play for most of 2018 and was one of worst LTs in NFL after big FA signing by Gettelman in 2017 in Carolina.

MATT KALILT, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
7410.jpg

Panthers released OT Matt Kalil.

It's a post-June 1 designation, which creates $7.25 million in cap space. It was a necessary, expected move after Kalil missed 2018 with an unexplained knee issue. The injury washout came on the heels of a truly dreadful 2017 where Kalil's play regressed even further, and he was one of the worst tackles in the league. Kalil's 2017 signing was an abject disaster for ex-GM Dave Gettleman. The Panthers will be moving forward with Taylor Moton and Daryl Williams at tackle. Four months shy of his 30th birthday, Kalil is in danger of washing out of the league.

RELATED: 
Mar 14, 2019, 4:05 PM

Pass on this dude please.

18 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Have to believe OBD knew this and went ahead with Ty Nsekhe signing given Kalil didn't play for most of 2018 and was one of worst LTs in NFL after big FA signing by Gettelman in 2017 in Carolina.

what does this mean?
Howe does OBD knowing or not knowing Kalil was to be cut have anything  to do with the decision to sign Ty Nsekhe? 

So you think they would have not signed TN if they knew Kalil was going to be cut and then sign Kalil instead??
Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m hoping this is a joke.. Sarcasm is so hard to read on here I can’t tell if people really want to pick him up????

Some are piling on out of humor and but sadly others are serious. As I read the love for Beane's FA moves I remember all the loud cries to fire him on this site last season.

Just now, cba fan said:
what does this mean?
Howe does OBD knowing or not knowing Kalil was to be cut have anything  to do with the decision to sign Ty Nsekhe? 

So you think they would have not signed TN if they knew Kalil was going to be cut and then sign Kalil instead??

Given that OBD has sources in Carolina its very possible this info ruled out signing Williams at RT or Kalil at LT given their 2018 injury history and Kalil's inability to play at an acceptable level.

The info would have been used to build their board for FA targets, and OBD obviously valued Ty Nsekhe over both the Carolina OTs.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I’ve never really understood how offensive linemen wash out of the NFL after being so good i college.. of all the positions that’s seem like they should be easy transitions, OL seems relatively straightforward. 

I think it's because the talent level of what they have to go up against, is both much higher, and more consistent. You never get to take plays off in the NFL (not without having to pay for it anyway).

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I’ve never really understood how offensive linemen wash out of the NFL after being so good i college.. of all the positions that’s seem like they should be easy transitions, OL seems relatively straightforward. 

My guess is just that the level of consistent athleticism they face at the Pro Level becomes overwhelming. Once teams find an athletic weakness they probably just exploit it to no end.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Given that OBD has sources in Carolina its very possible this info ruled out signing Williams at RT or Kalil at LT given their 2018 injury history and Kalil's inability to play at an acceptable level.

The info would have been used to build their board for FA targets, and OBD obviously valued Ty Nsekhe over both the Carolina OTs.

I would disagree. The linemen they chose were versatile guys who can play more than one position. That’s apparently the board they built.  Kalil and Williams only play one position. This Carolina connection stuff is way overblown. The front office there is totally revamped from Beanes days there and I would doubt he has any real inside info there any other GM doesn’t have. I doubt he calls Rivera and asks questions on players. 

Morse is obviously locked in to start but all those others signed are versatile players who can play multiple positions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1