Sign in to follow this  
Alphadawg7

Imagine if we Lee Evans could have played with Allen!

Evans was one of the most overrated players in Bills history.  1 trick pony, who never ran over the middle, that choked in the playoffs.

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 2
  • Skeptical 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just play Madden. 

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Evans was one of the most overrated players in Bills history.  1 trick pony, who never ran over the middle, that choked in the playoffs.

Evans joins a long line of Bills who chocked in the playoffs. 

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

...he'd still have been crap. 

Overrated player. 

This is fairly irrational post from what I’ve seen as a rational poster. What in the world did Evans do to you? 

6000 yds in his 7 seasons in buffalo with an awful situation/revolving door at qb. 

He was a real solid wr. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is fairly irrational post from what I’ve seen as a rational poster. What in the world did Evans do to you? 

6000 yds in his 7 seasons in buffalo with an awful situation/revolving door at qb. 

He was a real solid wr. 

Crap was a bit tongue in cheek. But he was most definitely overrated by a lot of Bills fans. Others have already said it in this thread. Couldn't run the whole route tree (even as a mature player) was shutdown by anyone who got physical with him and just generally was a bit of a one trick pony. 

• Like (+1) 1

Evans was good, and Losman and he actually complimented each other very well.

He was a phenomenal deep ball receiver, with elite speed. Underneath the coverage he was a non factor. 

i have vivid memories of him quitting on slants. 

Belli or one of his asst coaches once said if you just roll a safety his way and take away the 9, you take away him... 

41 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Didn’t Lee Evans singlehandeldy slyer the dynamic in the AFC North?

Who was the forum member who asserted that? That was a fun thread.

22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Who was the forum member who asserted that? That was a fun thread.

Haha .   It sure was a classic thread.   I'll give you a hint.   He used to have an avatar of a guy picking his nose.

14 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Marvin was a threat in the whole route tree. Evans could mainly just get open deep and catch uncontested passes. He was a non-factor when he went to the Ravens. My post was not insinuating Losman was some great QB. Losman’s only strength was the deep ball, which matched Evans’ only strength. When Evans played with QBs who struggled with the deep pass he seemed to disappear. Without Losman his numbers reflected those of a modest #3 receiver, catching less than 50 passes almost every year without him.

Agreed. Evans was a one trick pony. An excellent deep threat but that seemed to be all he had.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Evans was an absolute stud. People who are saying he couldn’t run the whole tree are ridiculous 

he was phenomenal. Most receivers don’t even make it till 30...

was Aaron Schobel bad because he couldn’t do anything anywhere else? No , he was a beast

Evans absolutely made the most of a terrible situation 

That’s right...Evans could run the whole route tree: the fly route, the go route, the 9 route.....whole thing!

4 hours ago, iinii said:

Just play Madden. 

Evans joins a long line of Bills who chocked in the playoffs. 

I can't take you serious.  I'm sorry

• Like (+1) 1

Evans was a fun guy to watch. Could zip past just about anyone but we'll never know his full potential considering he played with a mishmash of Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, etc. 

I really like what they did with their WR group this week. Foster and Brown can fly and take the top off a defense, Zay seemed to do well working on intermediate crossers last season and Beasley will open things up underneath. It's all on Daboll to find the best ways to utilize these guys but at least there's something to work with now as opposed to last season where they were just scrambling for anyone to get open. Having a variety of different skill sets gives them room to open the playbook more. It's obviously that springtime optimism creeping in but I'm excited for 2019.

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That’s right...Evans could run the whole route tree: the fly route, the go route, the 9 route.....whole thing!

Perfect routes for JP .    

• Like (+1) 1

I was young. But Evans never blew me away. Not saying he couldn't run the whole route tree but he just seemed incapable of beating top corners.. making us really ineffective against top defenses. I always thought he would have been better served as the #2 option going against lesser corners.

It was probably more about the quarterback he had though. But he also did not last long at all.

As a successor to Moulds, who was my favorite player, I guess I was spoiled at what I expected my #1 WR to be able to do when judging Lee Evans. Moulds set a high bar that I've realized is tough to expect your team to match every time they draft a WR high.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

The only thing JP did well was throw a nice deep ball, which happened to be what Evans was good at. Evans ran a very nice go/fly route and JP did a fine job finding him. Looks good in a highlight tape but that's about it.

Evans was a good deep threat that could be valuable if you have other weapons on offense. He was far from a complete receiver. 

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I can't take you serious.  I'm sorry

Yeah. Thurman not being able to find his helmet was a joke, not a choke. 

Allen still needs to prove he can consistently hit players in stride on longer and shorter passes and not get his players killed with his inaccurate passes across the middle.

Most other things about him are fine esp the great athleticism and winning attitude. Learning how to pass with finesse is something that should be learned in junior leagues.

I think many Bills fans are way too sure about Allen at this point.Just being realistic...yet hopeful.

we have been thru this(denial of weaknesses) with every QB since kelly w the exception of Flutie..who was already 36 yrs old when we picked him up.

Edited by Tcali
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The 10/05/08 game @ AZ ... the worst hangover of my life.

Made the mistake of going to a bachelorette party in Lake Havasu the night before with the grand idea of driving to Glendale the morning of the game. Didn't wake up until 11, literally pulled over no less than 10 times on the side of the road to throw up. Got to the game mid-first quarter. Ran through the parking lot only to hear that Trent Edward's had been knocked out of the game over the speakers. Finally got to our seats just in time to watch the blow out. That TD to Lee gave me hope for like 3 seconds. 

I did have the best subway sammich of my life on my 5 hour drive home to Vegas. 

1 minute ago, LVGrown said:

The 10/05/08 game @ AZ ... the worst hangover of my life.

Made the mistake of going to a bachelorette party in Lake Havasu the night before with the grand idea of driving to Glendale the morning of the game. Didn't wake up until 11, literally pulled over no less than 10 times on the side of the road to throw up. Got to the game mid-first quarter. Ran through the parking lot only to hear that Trent Edward's had been knocked out of the game over the speakers. Finally got to our seats just in time to watch the blow out. That TD to Lee gave me hope for like 3 seconds. 

I did have the best subway sammich of my life on my 5 hour drive home to Vegas. 

Sounds like something to be proud of:D

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, John from Riverside said:

Seemed to me like Lee Evans was CONSISTANTLY open.....especially on his deep routes

my selective memory is of a few times JP running for his life for many seconds and finding Evans way down field

it was entertaining and amusing

On 3/14/2019 at 3:14 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Evans had excellent hands and was a great route runner.  I don't think you are remembering him accurately.  He was poorly used as mostly a deep threat, but he could run the whole route tree and make contested catches.  

But yeah, John Brown can be part of that role for Allen, super excited we signed him and Beasley to work the underneath.  

I really liked Lee Evans while he was here, but honestly when he went to Baltimore I thought he would tear it up with a better qb or atleast well established, he really did not do much there. Question is was anyone else surprised he fizzled out when he left Buffalo?

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

No. JP was a much more accurate long passer so Lee was probably better off where he was.

true