Imagine if we Lee Evans could have played with Allen!

5 hours ago, VW82 said:

He was a very good deep ball receiver. It was the intermediate stuff where I recall him not living up to expectations as a FRP. The fact that he couldn't stay in the league once he lost a bit of his breakaway speed would seem to support that. He was done by the time he turned 30.  

Exactly how I remember him as well. It’s funny how the years go by and fans often remember the same player quite differently. I recall a guy who was shut out in a lot of games. There were so many games where he was a complete non factor, which is not what you want out of a number one WR. When he was unable to make big plays his game seemed non existent at times. Whether it was the player or the scheme could be debated. I’ll always remember him as a slightly above average player with great speed, but not as an elite talent.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

It sucks his career is going to be remembered for the drop in the Ravens/Pats AFCC, because he was a very good player for us on horrible teams. Even more surprising was that he stayed professional and never requested a trade or expressing any sort of displeasure in spite of having every reason to do so.

Wasn't Lee Evans the guy who talked about working on being able to run a full route tree... entering year 7?  I always thought he was seriously overrated by Bills fans, and possibly still is.  Chris Kelsay never complained or requested a trade, either.  

• Like (+1) 2

Evans was an absolute stud. People who are saying he couldn’t run the whole tree are ridiculous 

he was phenomenal. Most receivers don’t even make it till 30...

was Aaron Schobel bad because he couldn’t do anything anywhere else? No , he was a beast

Evans absolutely made the most of a terrible situation 

Just play Madden. 

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Evans was one of the most overrated players in Bills history.  1 trick pony, who never ran over the middle, that choked in the playoffs.

Evans joins a long line of Bills who chocked in the playoffs. 

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

...he'd still have been crap. 

Overrated player. 

This is fairly irrational post from what I’ve seen as a rational poster. What in the world did Evans do to you? 

6000 yds in his 7 seasons in buffalo with an awful situation/revolving door at qb. 

He was a real solid wr. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is fairly irrational post from what I’ve seen as a rational poster. What in the world did Evans do to you? 

6000 yds in his 7 seasons in buffalo with an awful situation/revolving door at qb. 

He was a real solid wr. 

Crap was a bit tongue in cheek. But he was most definitely overrated by a lot of Bills fans. Others have already said it in this thread. Couldn't run the whole route tree (even as a mature player) was shutdown by anyone who got physical with him and just generally was a bit of a one trick pony. 

• Like (+1) 1

Evans was good, and Losman and he actually complimented each other very well.

He was a phenomenal deep ball receiver, with elite speed. Underneath the coverage he was a non factor. 

i have vivid memories of him quitting on slants. 

Belli or one of his asst coaches once said if you just roll a safety his way and take away the 9, you take away him... 

14 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Marvin was a threat in the whole route tree. Evans could mainly just get open deep and catch uncontested passes. He was a non-factor when he went to the Ravens. My post was not insinuating Losman was some great QB. Losman’s only strength was the deep ball, which matched Evans’ only strength. When Evans played with QBs who struggled with the deep pass he seemed to disappear. Without Losman his numbers reflected those of a modest #3 receiver, catching less than 50 passes almost every year without him.

Agreed. Evans was a one trick pony. An excellent deep threat but that seemed to be all he had.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Evans was an absolute stud. People who are saying he couldn’t run the whole tree are ridiculous 

he was phenomenal. Most receivers don’t even make it till 30...

was Aaron Schobel bad because he couldn’t do anything anywhere else? No , he was a beast

Evans absolutely made the most of a terrible situation 

That’s right...Evans could run the whole route tree: the fly route, the go route, the 9 route.....whole thing!

Evans was a fun guy to watch. Could zip past just about anyone but we'll never know his full potential considering he played with a mishmash of Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Edwards, etc. 

I really like what they did with their WR group this week. Foster and Brown can fly and take the top off a defense, Zay seemed to do well working on intermediate crossers last season and Beasley will open things up underneath. It's all on Daboll to find the best ways to utilize these guys but at least there's something to work with now as opposed to last season where they were just scrambling for anyone to get open. Having a variety of different skill sets gives them room to open the playbook more. It's obviously that springtime optimism creeping in but I'm excited for 2019.

I was young. But Evans never blew me away. Not saying he couldn't run the whole route tree but he just seemed incapable of beating top corners.. making us really ineffective against top defenses. I always thought he would have been better served as the #2 option going against lesser corners.

It was probably more about the quarterback he had though. But he also did not last long at all.

As a successor to Moulds, who was my favorite player, I guess I was spoiled at what I expected my #1 WR to be able to do when judging Lee Evans. Moulds set a high bar that I've realized is tough to expect your team to match every time they draft a WR high.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P