Imagine if we Lee Evans could have played with Allen!

So the Losman thread about impressing at Clemson got me to post a Losman highlight reel for fun in it, but all it really did was remind me just how good Lee Evans was.  

People tend to forget how good Lee Evans was and how bad his luck was to play with crap QB's most of his career.  Can you imagine who good Allen and Evans would be together?  

Just bringing some light back on one of the most underrated Ex-Bills players of all time.  

• Like (+1) 2

Isn't kind of what we're getting with John Brown? A legit deep threat with questionable hands and route running skills. Both guys got stuck playing with bad QBs. 

Edited by VW82

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Isn't kind of what we're getting with John Brown? A legit deep threat with questionable hands and route running skills.

Evans had excellent hands and was a great route runner.  I don't think you are remembering him accurately.  He was poorly used as mostly a deep threat, but he could run the whole route tree and make contested catches.  

But yeah, John Brown can be part of that role for Allen, super excited we signed him and Beasley to work the underneath.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Evans had excellent hands and was a great route runner.  I don't think you are remembering he well.  He was poorly used as mostly a deep threat, but he could run the whole route tree and make contested catches.  

You're right that's not how I remember him. The guy I remember was fast as hell but struggled to get open a lot of the time. He did have a couple of very productive years for us though, and he had Losman throwing to him so...

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

You're right that's not how I remember him. The guy I remember was fast as hell but struggled to get open a lot of the time.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one...all good, GO BILLS :)

11 minutes ago, VW82 said:

You're right that's not how I remember him. The guy I remember was fast as hell but struggled to get open a lot of the time. He did have a couple of very productive years for us though, and he had Losman throwing to him so...

Seemed to me like Lee Evans was CONSISTANTLY open.....especially on his deep routes

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Seemed to me like Lee Evans was CONSISTANTLY open.....especially on his deep routes

He was a very good deep ball receiver. It was the intermediate stuff where I recall him not living up to expectations as a FRP. The fact that he couldn't stay in the league once he lost a bit of his breakaway speed would seem to support that. He was done by the time he turned 30.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, VW82 said:

He was a very good deep ball receiver. It was the intermediate stuff where I recall him not living up to expectations as a FRP. The fact that he couldn't stay in the league once he lost a bit of his breakaway speed would seem to support that. He was done by the time he turned 30.  

I think that was more scheme and how he was played in the offense....but that is jmo

• Like (+1) 1

If Lee Evans was with Peyton Manning, he would have had Marvin Harrison’s career.

44 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I kind of feel that Losman made Evans look better than he was. Evans did not play above his size or fight for the ball well. He had reliable hands, but didn’t offer much after the catch unless he was already behind the defense.

You’re right.  Evans was definitely holding JP back from stardom. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If Lee Evans was with Peyton Manning, he would have had Marvin Harrison’s career.

You’re right.  Evans was definitely holding JP back from stardom. 

Marvin was a threat in the whole route tree. Evans could mainly just get open deep and catch uncontested passes. He was a non-factor when he went to the Ravens. My post was not insinuating Losman was some great QB. Losman’s only strength was the deep ball, which matched Evans’ only strength. When Evans played with QBs who struggled with the deep pass he seemed to disappear. Without Losman his numbers reflected those of a modest #3 receiver, catching less than 50 passes almost every year without him.

• Like (+1) 3

It sucks his career is going to be remembered for the drop in the Ravens/Pats AFCC, because he was a very good player for us on horrible teams. Even more surprising was that he stayed professional and never requested a trade or expressing any sort of displeasure in spite of having every reason to do so.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts