Thoughts on the draft post free agency.......

I'm more of a lurker and haven't posted a ton on these forums, but I did post a fair bit on the Buffalo Bills message board before it was shut down.  I'm a huge fan of the draft and love looking at how I would approach the offseason if I was in charge.  I think our best option at 9 is to try and find a trade down partner and pick up an extra 2nd (unless Quinnen Williams somehow falls).   Doing this would allow for extensive flexibility.  If we trade down to the mid teens more than likely one of the following player will be available:

Jonah Williams

Jawaan Taylor

DK Metcalf

Noah Fant

TJ Hockenson 

Ed Oliver

Christian Wilkins

Montez Sweat

Brian Burns

Many of us would be satisfied with taking these guys at 9.  However, I can almost guarantee a 2-3 of them will still be there in the mid teens.  Moving down and picking up an extra 2nd will then give us the flexibility to move back into the 1st and pickup either one of these guys that falls further or protect us against a run on a certain position group (o-line, pass catcher, d-line) while still maintaining a 2nd round pick.

If we could come out of the first 2 days of the draft with something like:

1.) Noah Fant TE  Iowa- i think he's safer than any of the WR's in the draft and would give us some much needed size at pass catcher.  (Hockenson would also be an option)

1.) Dalton Risner  OL  Kansas St.- would instantly join the competition at RT and interior oline. Would give us a vauable young piece to add to the vets we already signed (Cody Ford would be another option)

2.) Best WR or DL available

*2nd and 3rd would be traded to move back into the 1st.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 3

Last time I checked my phone, One Bills Drive isn't texting ME for advice.  With that said:

1) I'm loving what they did in FA, and am already sleeping better at night.

2) I'm not sold on the RT situation yet, and I'm 100% on board with Risner.  I wouldn't be the SLIGHTEST bit surprised at that pickup, and that would be a monster move.

3) I'm guessing it's a great trade down scenario, and would be thrilled with it.  But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they picked the best DE on the board at 9.  Or this year's Edmunds, and be done at LB for the next 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Given how Beane has dramatically raised the talent level and depth on this team, regardless of whether  we trade back from 9, I think we also trade mid-round/late picks to move and shake all over this draft.  

We dont need 10-11 draft picks now.  

• Like (+1) 2

My reading of the tea leaves (based off of the actual players they brought in and how the contracts were structured) is that Beane is going to be looking at bringing in a lot of guys to develop for a year and really look to blow out the depth of this team for a longer term run at things... 

To me, perfect probably looks something like this:

1. [UNLESS Quinnen Williams falls (he won't)] Trade down to teens -- fully on board with this -- take Jonah Williams, Taylor or Dillard

1b. Trade back up to late 1 -- also fully on board with this -- take Jeffrey Simmons

2. Take best available big-bodied WR (my board would be: Metcalf, Butler, Harry, AJ Brown)

3. Take Josh Oliver -- LOVE this kid at TE

4. Best RB available 

I love what they did in free agency, that being said I don’t know if it significantly changes their draft strategy. Maybe a WR has less urgency. If they stay at 9 they could still go OT, DT, edge or TE, same if they trade down. They are not going to draft ten, they will use some of those late round picks to move around. It is going to be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

As it stands right now, if it was me, I'd take the best DT or Edge player on the board at 9. Then I'd take my top rated pass catcher available, TE or WR in the 2nd.

For me DT in 1st, OT and TE 2/3, RB and LB 4/4.  Those are the next 4 positions I would like to improve.  I really like the idea of trading down from 9, and using our 5,5,6,7,7 to get as many top 100 players as possible.  Like posters have pointed out, trading down from 9, we might have a shot at Jonah Williams, Cody Ford, Wilkins, Oliver, Metcalf, Hotch, Burns, Tillery.  Trade down, take highest graded player, gain additional pick-improve upon TE, OT, RB, and LB with our 1, 2, 2, 3 picks

Before FA I was clamoring for a trade down to amass more picks. Now I feel differently. Feel like if we can get 5 quality (OT, TE, DT, RB, LB ) - we're pretty much there. Not saying trade up from #9, but maybe trade up some mid-round picks to get higher-graded talent. Yes, that would mean less picks, but we only have so many roster spots available after all those FAs. Wouldn't want to draft 10 and have to cut 5 of them. Somehow parley those 10 picks into 5 (or 4) top-3 round picks (or something). Other option would be to trade for higher pick(s) in 2020. It's a good problem to have.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

For me DT in 1st, OT and TE 2/3, RB and LB 4/4.  Those are the next 4 positions I would like to improve.  I really like the idea of trading down from 9, and using our 5,5,6,7,7 to get as many top 100 players as possible.  Like posters have pointed out, trading down from 9, we might have a shot at Jonah Williams, Cody Ford, Wilkins, Oliver, Metcalf, Hotch, Burns, Tillery.  Trade down, take highest graded player, gain additional pick-improve upon TE, OT, RB, and LB with our 1, 2, 2, 3 picks

I don't like this even though you mention Hockenson and Metcalf.  

I like the additions of Gore, Kroft, Brown and Beasley because they are pieces that make us better.  Top end offensive weapons is still a need.  I don't mind a trade back as a strategy based on projections/value.  I don't mind trusting Beane to identify the talent, but I want to make this offense great, not just better.  

• Like (+1) 1

I see the Bills taking the best OT/DL at #9 then trading up to the bottom of 1st round and taking the position they missed at #9. Like DT Oliver at 9, and OT Dalton Risner. The last two drafts MCBeane moved around I see more of that.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

As it stands right now, if it was me, I'd take the best DT or Edge player on the board at 9. Then I'd take my top rated pass catcher available, TE or WR in the 2nd.

I believe this is how it will go down if they stay at 9.  If they happen to move back everything is on the table 

Don’t get cute.  Keeping Josh alive is critical to this team.  Take the best O lineman.  We can never be too deep at the offensive line.  I guarantee some of those guys will get injured along the way.  

We we can get skilled positions later in the draft.  Remember, AB was a 6th round pick. 

if we sign ziggy, then we have addressed all of our needs in FA, and will have more butts than seats, so we don't need a lot of guys but quality guys.

i think DT and OL (G followed closely by T) is what we still have a position need for, but i'd think that's a tie breaker rather than a pick maker.

i agree w the above that we will trade down our first pick, and trade up our later picks to get our guys.

I expect by the end of the season a new OL, WR/TE, and front 7 starter/big play time guy will come out of the draft.

2 hours ago, Canuck204 said:

I'm more of a lurker and haven't posted a ton on these forums, but I did post a fair bit on the Buffalo Bills message board before it was shut down.  I'm a huge fan of the draft and love looking at how I would approach the offseason if I was in charge.  I think our best option at 9 is to try and find a trade down partner and pick up an extra 2nd (unless Quinnen Williams somehow falls).   Doing this would allow for extensive flexibility.  If we trade down to the mid teens more than likely one of the following player will be available:

Jonah Williams

Jawaan Taylor

DK Metcalf

Noah Fant

TJ Hockenson 

Ed Oliver

Christian Wilkins

Montez Sweat

Brian Burns

Many of us would be satisfied with taking these guys at 9.  However, I can almost guarantee a 2-3 of them will still be there in the mid teens.  Moving down and picking up an extra 2nd will then give us the flexibility to move back into the 1st and pickup either one of these guys that falls further or protect us against a run on a certain position group (o-line, pass catcher, d-line) while still maintaining a 2nd round pick.

If we could come out of the first 2 days of the draft with something like:

1.) Noah Fant TE  Iowa- i think he's safer than any of the WR's in the draft and would give us some much needed size at pass catcher.  (Hockenson would also be an option)

1.) Dalton Risner  OL  Kansas St.- would instantly join the competition at RT and interior oline. Would give us a vauable young piece to add to the vets we already signed (Cody Ford would be another option)

2.) Best WR or DL available

*2nd and 3rd would be traded to move back into the 1st.

Thoughts?

Prefer hockenson by far.  His blocking ability sets him apart from fant.  Fant is faster, but hock isn’t a slouch with the ball

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

I see the Bills taking the best OT/DL at #9 then trading up to the bottom of 1st round and taking the position they missed at #9. Like DT Oliver at 9, and OT Dalton Risner. The last two drafts MCBeane moved around I see more of that.

I agree with your take at #9 ...but it sure would be hard to pass on Metcalf, Hockenson or Fant if they were available at #9.