Roster spots becoming bigger factor than cap $$$ left

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We currently have 65 players on the roster with our new free agent signings.  I believe that number includes ten players from last year's practice squad, so more accurately 55 + 10 practice squad.  Next month we will be adding ten draft picks to the roster bringing us to 65 + 10.  Assuming that only half of our draft picks make the final roster (which I hope is a low estimate) that means we need to cut 17 players from the current roster. 

Right now available roster spots is becoming a bigger limitation than remaining cap space $$$.  Every free agent signed means another cut to the roster.  I'm sure Beane is weighing this consideration as he continues to shop for new free agents. 

Below is a link to a web site called sportrac that lists the entire current 65 man roster.  There is a "Release" button next to every player on the roster that allows you to cut players from the roster like you're a GM.  There is box on the right hand side of the page that keeps track of your totals.  Find 17 cuts on that roster right now to get to 48 roster spots (assuming 5 currently unlisted draftees make the final roster).  At some point you're no longer cutting fat, your cutting meat from the roster.  It's not easy to find 17 to cut, and once again, that assumes only keeping 5 out of the 10 draft picks.

We can roll some cap money over to next year and use to some to extend current players.  Looking at it from a roster point of view, I think our free agency is just about done.  Maybe Ziggy or one other player and thats it.

Who are your 17 cuts from the roster to get to 48?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/

Here are mine;  (Edited because I cut both of our punters.  Inconceivable!)

1. Released Russell Bodine
    (Saved: $2,306,244)
  2. Released Cory Carter
    (Saved: $495,000)
  3. Released Da'Mari Scott
    (Saved: $570,000)
  4. Released Cam Phillips
  5. Released Mike Love
  6. Released Ryan Lewis
  7. Released Keith Ford
  8. Released Ray-Ray McCloud
    (Saved: $490,088)
  9. Released Kyle Peko
    (Saved: $645,000)
  10. Released Isaiah McKenzie
  11. Released Dean Marlowe
  12. Released Deon Lacey
  13. Released Robert Thomas
    (Saved: $720,000)
  14. Released Denzel Rice
  15. Released Lafayette Pitts
  16. Released Marcus Murphy
  17. Released Corey Thompson
    (Saved: $570,000

Ive said for a while now, we will not make 10 selections in the draft.

From your list the only one that hurts a bit is Isiah McKenzie.  Also, Beane does seem to like moving up a bit to make sure he gets his target.  They've done that multiple times in the past 2 years.  I also have to believe that it would be tough have both Gore and Ivory both on the team with a 3rd stringer making over $2m.  Finally, I would wonder whether it would be possible to cut Derek Anderson, hire him as a Offensive/QB Assistant of some sort and then just re-sign him if an injury calls for it??  Not sure how that last one would work

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

My question is......

We have signed so many free agents this year what do we do with the 10 draft picks?

I understand that round 1-3 will be logical understandable choices.......but we have picks AFTER the 3rd round

Well.........we still don’t have a  #1 WR.  We don’t have a top 10 TE.  We need another DT.  We need another edge rusher.  We need a young RB.  We could use another DB for depth.  We have very little good LB depth.  Our punter sucks.  

There’s still lots to do John

Just now, NewEra said:

Well.........we still don’t have a  #1 WR.  We don’t have a top 10 TE.  We need another DT.  We need another edge rusher.  We need a young RB.  We could use another DB for depth.  We have very little good LB depth.  Our punter sucks.  

There’s still lots to do John

So which one of these WR's we just signed in free agency are we gonna cut?

Yes TE is a need

Yes DT is a need

Yes OT is a need

Yes RB is a need

That is 4 players (that is why I said roughly the first 3 rounds predictable....but we have TEN picks.

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So which one of these WR's we just signed in free agency are we gonna cut?

Yes TE is a need

Yes DT is a need

Yes OT is a need

Yes RB is a need

That is 4 players (that is why I said roughly the first 3 rounds predictable....but we have TEN picks.

Tough call.  I could see them bypassing WR altogether in the draft minus a late round flyer.  I could see McKenzie getting the axe.  I like him a lot, but he has to be able to hold onto the ball or he’s useless imo.  Duke williams is a complete unknown.  I’m REEALLY intrigued by his upside and aggression.  We need a WR with some muscle.  

See how these guys pan out and go from there next year?  Foster and brown on opposites sides running deep opening the middle for Beasley, kroft and hopefully another TE.  Not to mention our RBs and josh Allen scrambling 

Edit:  and thats why why I also included Lb/DB depth and punter.  3 late rd picks ....

Edited by NewEra

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Tough call.  I could see them bypassing WR altogether in the draft minus a late round flyer.  I could see McKenzie getting the axe.  I like him a lot, but he has to be able to hold onto the ball or he’s useless imo.  Duke williams is a complete unknown.  I’m REEALLY intrigued by his upside and aggression.  We need a WR with some muscle.  

See how these guys pan out and go from there next year?  Foster and brown on opposites sides running deep opening the middle for Beasley, kroft and hopefully another TE.  Not to mention our RBs and josh Allen scrambling 

I think it is also important to note that not every need this team has is gonna get filled this offseason

Obviously a lot has been addressed.....I wonder if the bills decide to take some of those later round picks and not only trade up....but also trade them into the next year for better selections.

This team has always biult through the draft

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, cage said:

From your list the only one that hurts a bit is Isiah McKenzie.  Also, Beane does seem to like moving up a bit to make sure he gets his target.  They've done that multiple times in the past 2 years.  I also have to believe that it would be tough have both Gore and Ivory both on the team with a 3rd stringer making over $2m.  Finally, I would wonder whether it would be possible to cut Derek Anderson, hire him as a Offensive/QB Assistant of some sort and then just re-sign him if an injury calls for it??  Not sure how that last one would work

There used to be a rule against that. Some teams were stashing players on coaching and training squads.

6 hours ago, BakersBills said:

It’s actually pretty easy if they take a rb you know one is getting cut.

if zay Jones sucks again he can get cut too especially if they take a wr in the first 2 rounds.

If we draft a wr anywhere in the 1st 3 rounds then Zay, Ray Ray and McKenzie are as good as gone.

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Who’s the best punter coming out of college?

Might as well use a late pick on him. 

I have 15 cuts and kept P Corey Carter.  He looked good last preseason before getting hurt.  I think he would have beaten out Schmidt.