Roster spots becoming bigger factor than cap $$$ left

There are plenty of names on this list that can be let go without a problem. 

I know Bills fans aren't used to having real NFL talent as depth, but that is the way good teams are structured.  Finally we will have capable replacements if someone goes down and the talent won't just fall off a cliff.  Welcome back to having a real NFL roster, guys.......

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Maybe cut Vlad, keep Bodine?  What do you think?

I think/hope our OL looks like:

Dawkins - Teller/Feliciano - Morse - Long - Nehske

Bodine - McDermott - Teller/Feliciano 

Thats a very solid looking OL with good depth. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Maybe cut Vlad, keep Bodine?  What do you think?

As other have said in previous threads............Bodine only plays at Center, keeping him on the roster makes no sense.

Spencer Long makes him expendable.

He may go to camp but I really doubt he makes the 53.

30 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I see a bunch of no brainer cuts on the roster right now.  Won’t be an issue 

I’ll bet anyone $100 they don’t make 10 picks.  I can easily see them trade 3rd and both 4ths and get back into round 2.  Some kind of deal like that will happen. 

That’s what I am thinking. The strength of this draft is on day 2. I would bet anything (assuming that they don’t trade for a vet before) that the Bills pick AT LEAST 4 times before the end of day 2. They want to take 4 guys before pick 100.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I’ll bet anyone $100 they don’t make 10 picks.  I can easily see them trade 3rd and both 4ths and get back into round 2.  Some kind of deal like that will happen. 

I've been thinking this for a while and now that we have picked up this many FA's I am even more convinced. We will use our late round picks to move up for specific guys in rounds 1 through 4.

37 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Who’s the best punter coming out of college?

Might as well use a late pick on him. 

I think Cory Carter will be our guy. I was excited about him last year (as excited as you can be about a punter anyway). He was crushing the ball in preseason.

2 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I've been thinking this for a while and now that we have picked up this many FA's I am even more convinced. We will use our late round picks to move up for specific guys in rounds 1 through 4.

I think Cory Carter will be our guy. I was excited about him last year (as excited as you can be about a punter anyway). He was crushing the ball in preseason.

Man, forgot about him.  He definitely looked like a weapon.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Bojorquez hopefully pushes him too.  I just want to not have the worst punter in the NFL, and i feel like we have settled for that since crossman came on board.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, sven233 said:

There are plenty of names on this list that can be let go without a problem. 

I know Bills fans aren't used to having real NFL talent as depth, but that is the way good teams are structured.  Finally we will have capable replacements if someone goes down and the talent won't just fall off a cliff.  Welcome back to having a real NFL roster, guys.......

This is such a good point, our depth has usually felt a little "hope and a prayer" their are stacks of guys in many spots now- Nice.

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Sounds like a plan..

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

My question is......

We have signed so many free agents this year what do we do with the 10 draft picks?

I understand that round 1-3 will be logical understandable choices.......but we have picks AFTER the 3rd round

This regime traded up for Dawkins, Jones, Allen, and Edmunds.  I doubt we end up with 10 new players from the draft.  

There's 65 now, easy to cut 12:

There's 11 WRs on roster (including Roberts the return guy), easy 5 cuts there

1 RB goes

11 Olinemen - there's 3 more

7 CBs and 5 safeties - they'll probably keep 5 and 4 so cut 3

2 punters 1 goes

You're down to 52 and there's 5 DEs and 5 DTs so 2 more cuts there. 

If you look at the list there's easy cuts in those position groups. Maybe some get picked up but isn't that what you want? 

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We currently have 65 players on the roster with our new free agent signings.  I believe that number includes ten players from last year's practice squad, so more accurately 55 + 10 practice squad.  Next month we will be adding ten draft picks to the roster bringing us to 65 + 10.  Assuming that only half of our draft picks make the final roster (which I hope is a low estimate) that means we need to cut 17 players from the current roster. 

Right now available roster spots is becoming a bigger limitation than remaining cap space $$$.  Every free agent signed means another cut to the roster.  I'm sure Beane is weighing this consideration as he continues to shop for new free agents. 

Below is a link to a web site called sportrac that lists the entire current 65 man roster.  There is a "Release" button next to every player on the roster that allows you to cut players from the roster like you're a GM.  There is box on the right hand side of the page that keeps track of your totals.  Find 17 cuts on that roster right now to get to 48 roster spots (assuming 5 currently unlisted draftees make the final roster).  At some point you're no longer cutting fat, your cutting meat from the roster.  It's not easy to find 17 to cut, and once again, that assumes only keeping 5 out of the 10 draft picks.

We can roll some cap money over to next year and use to some to extend current players.  Looking at it from a roster point of view, I think our free agency is just about done.  Maybe Ziggy or one other player and thats it.

Who are your 17 cuts from the roster to get to 48?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/

Here are mine;  (Edited because I cut both of our punters.  Inconceivable!)

1. Released Russell Bodine
    (Saved: $2,306,244)
  2. Released Cory Carter
    (Saved: $495,000)
  3. Released Da'Mari Scott
    (Saved: $570,000)
  4. Released Cam Phillips
  5. Released Mike Love
  6. Released Ryan Lewis