Roster spots becoming bigger factor than cap $$$ left

We currently have 65 players on the roster with our new free agent signings.  I believe that number includes ten players from last year's practice squad, so more accurately 55 + 10 practice squad.  Next month we will be adding ten draft picks to the roster bringing us to 65 + 10.  Assuming that only half of our draft picks make the final roster (which I hope is a low estimate) that means we need to cut 17 players from the current roster. 

Right now available roster spots is becoming a bigger limitation than remaining cap space $$$.  Every free agent signed means another cut to the roster.  I'm sure Beane is weighing this consideration as he continues to shop for new free agents. 

Below is a link to a web site called sportrac that lists the entire current 65 man roster.  There is a "Release" button next to every player on the roster that allows you to cut players from the roster like you're a GM.  There is box on the right hand side of the page that keeps track of your totals.  Find 17 cuts on that roster right now to get to 48 roster spots (assuming 5 currently unlisted draftees make the final roster).  At some point you're no longer cutting fat, your cutting meat from the roster.  It's not easy to find 17 to cut, and once again, that assumes only keeping 5 out of the 10 draft picks.

We can roll some cap money over to next year and use to some to extend current players.  Looking at it from a roster point of view, I think our free agency is just about done.  Maybe Ziggy or one other player and thats it.

Who are your 17 cuts from the roster to get to 48?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/

Here are mine;  (Edited because I cut both of our punters.  Inconceivable!)

1. Released Russell Bodine
    (Saved: $2,306,244)
  2. Released Cory Carter
    (Saved: $495,000)
  3. Released Da'Mari Scott
    (Saved: $570,000)
  4. Released Cam Phillips
  5. Released Mike Love
  6. Released Ryan Lewis
  7. Released Keith Ford
  8. Released Ray-Ray McCloud
    (Saved: $490,088)
  9. Released Kyle Peko
    (Saved: $645,000)
  10. Released Isaiah McKenzie
  11. Released Dean Marlowe
  12. Released Deon Lacey
  13. Released Robert Thomas
    (Saved: $720,000)
  14. Released Denzel Rice
  15. Released Lafayette Pitts
  16. Released Marcus Murphy
  17. Released Corey Thompson
    (Saved: $570,000
Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I see a bunch of no brainer cuts on the roster right now.  Won’t be an issue 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My question is......

We have signed so many free agents this year what do we do with the 10 draft picks?

I understand that round 1-3 will be logical understandable choices.......but we have picks AFTER the 3rd round

I’ll bet anyone $100 they don’t make 10 picks.  I can easily see them trade 3rd and both 4ths and get back into round 2.  Some kind of deal like that will happen. 

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 10

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My question is......

We have signed so many free agents this year what do we do with the 10 draft picks?

I understand that round 1-3 will be logical understandable choices.......but we have picks AFTER the 3rd round

Either trade up to use them up or trade back and stockpile higher picks for next year.  

Picks are easier to get rid of compared to players.

Edited by The Wiz

Small point - but I don't see Beane keeping all the draft picks - I bet he packages some to move up at least once

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, John from Riverside said:

My question is......

It’s a good problem to have. 

Another good problem to have is that I’m afraid to package picks to move up/not being a UDFA destination because I don’t want to miss out on this FO finding guys like Taron Johnson, Matt Milano, Levi Wallace and Robert Foster. 

I agree with a few already posted on here.  I got to 15 cuts pretty quickly and had no hard feelings about letting them go.  Also much like others I don't feel like they will keep all 10 draft picks.  Moving up as well as getting a few for next year.

8 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We currently have 65 players on the roster with our new free agent signings.  I believe that number includes ten players from last year's practice squad, so more accurately 55 + 10 practice squad.  Next month we will be adding ten draft picks to the roster bringing us to 65 + 10.  Assuming that only half of our draft picks make the final roster (which I hope is a low estimate) that means we need to cut 17 players from the current roster. 

Right now available roster spots is becoming a bigger limitation than remaining cap space $$$.  Every free agent signed means another cut to the roster.  I'm sure Beane is weighing this consideration as he continues to shop for new free agents. 

Below is a link to a web site called sportrac that lists the entire current 65 man roster.  There is a "Release" button next to every player on the roster that allows you to cut players from the roster like you're a GM.  There is box on the right hand side of the page that keeps track of your totals.  Find 17 cuts on that roster right now to get to 48 roster spots (assuming 5 currently unlisted draftees make the final roster).  At some point you're no longer cutting fat, your cutting meat from the roster.  It's not easy to find 17 to cut, and once again, that assumes only keeping 5 out of the 10 draft picks.

We can roll some cap money over to next year and use to some to extend current players.  Looking at it from a roster point of view, I think our free agency is just about done.  Maybe Ziggy or one other player and thats it.

Here are mine;

2. Released Cory Carter
  4. Released Cam Phillips
  5. Released Mike Love
  6. Released Ryan Lewis
  7. Released Keith Ford
  8. Released Corey Bojorquez
  9. Released Ray-Ray McCloud
  10. Released Kyle Peko
  11. Released Isaiah McKenzie
  12. Released Dean Marlowe
  13. Released Deon Lacey
  14. Released Robert Thomas
  15. Released Denzel Rice
  16. Released Lafayette Pitts
  17. Released Marcus Murphy

Who’s going to Punt?

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My question is......

You cut dead weight and make room for younger guys with potential.

I think a lot of the WRs are gone: Ray-Ray, McKenzie certainly. Jones and Duke Williams arent locks either depending on who we draft. Croom as well.

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I see a bunch of no brainer cuts on the roster right now.  Won’t be an issue 

I’ll bet anyone $100 they don’t make 10 picks 

I agree.  Beane will move up to get his guys.

As to the OP's original thoughts on cuts, it is looking like the Bills will let a few good players go once the dust settles.

That would be a good problem for OBD to have.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Who’s going to Punt?

LOL!  We're not going to need a punter!  With our new offense every drive will be a scoring drive.  No punts! 

I did cut both of our punters didn't I?  Oops.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My question is......

The depth chart guys like stanford and thompson could be upgraded.  The depth behind poyer and hyde could be upgraded.  We still don't really have a starting 3T DT yet.  along the o-line we could use some youth other than dawkins/teller.  We have 1 NFL caliber TE on the roster.  We still carry a FB.  We have 3 really old backs with none under contract in 2020.  Our sam linebacker is 36.  

Not to say cut any of these guys, but we could use some young talent in depth roles.  

Needs come draft time - Pass rush help (Hughes and Lawson are not under contract beyond this year) - a starting caliber DT - A running back to groom - a TE - usually want a 5th corner on the 53, and improvements behind poyer/Hyde, linemen.

Edited by dneveu

19 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Here are mine;

2. Released Cory Carter
  4. Released Cam Phillips
  5. Released Mike Love
  6. Released Ryan Lewis
  7. Released Keith Ford
  8. Released Corey Bojorquez
  9. Released Ray-Ray McCloud
  10. Released Kyle Peko
  11. Released Isaiah McKenzie
  12. Released Dean Marlowe
  13. Released Deon Lacey
  14. Released Robert Thomas
  15. Released Denzel Rice
  16. Released Lafayette Pitts
  17. Released Marcus Murphy

You are making the situation seem larger than it is.  I have no doubt the Bills staff has been through scenarios looking at this.  It is probably also safe to assume that while not absolutely a one for one there will be a cut at every position the signed a FA for.  As for the draft you probably have to assume rounds one. Through three make the roster and anyone after that its truly a best man wins the roster spot or the rookie may go to the PS.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Either trade up to use them up or trade back and stockpile higher picks for next year.  

Picks are easier to get rid of compared to players.

Or trade the picks for next year picks. There are some GMs on hot seat and may trade next year's 2nd for our third this year

• Like (+1) 1