Why I feel good about the two new WRs we added in FA?

These two veterans may be the littlest guys on the field - but boy do they play tall? Also they bring completely different things to the field and will actually complement each other. One will stretch the filed so the other can operate underneath. 

First Cole Beasley.

You always want to get a guy in FA who was undervalued and under utilized. Cole "Mr. Sure Hands: Beasley is the epitome of undervalued and underutilized. Additionally he is going to be among the most valuable Bills in moving the chains - He is even better than Edelman.

see Dallas' wins added chart  in 2018

Here is what the Dallas guys are saying about losing him - also says Dallas was offering Beasley 18 mill over 3 years vs. Bills 29 over 4.

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/03/13/cole-beasley-bad-hit-dallas-cowboys/

I like it that the guy is a little on the cocky side - only things he drops are rap albums titled the Autobiography

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1430527555619

(Be patient in watching this video - the good stuff is after the 1:40 mark).

Finally I liked it that he was so hard on himself after dropping a surefire touchdown pass (very very rare for him) but bounced back to get Dallas the win on the final drive.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article221884935.html

Finally, a statistic that will surely help Allen silence his critics - In 2016 - Beasley caught 75 passes for 833 yards and five touchdowns on 98 targets. His 76.5% catch rate ranked second among all NFL wide receivers in 2016.

Now coming to John Brown - I like him for entirely different reasons - he is in no way Mr. Sure Hands - he dropped 6 balls to the 42 he caught last year on 97 targets (43% catch rate).  That is skewed for two reasons - he is targeted more downfield so throw accuracy will be lower. Based on Advanced stats, the catchable rate on passes thrown his way was only 60% (59/97).

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/john-brown/

compare that to Cole Beasley's 81%

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/cole-beasley/

But playing 7 games with Lamar skew the stats downward for Brown (a reason Ravens did not want him back). if one just looks at stats with Flacco - he caught 34 off 67 targets for 601 yards (over 50% catch rate). Through the first 8 weeks (prior to Flacco injury), John Brown had 83 fantasy points (reflects yards and scores). He was 15th among WRs very comparable to Stefan Diggs and Michael Thomas and ahead of Julio Jones, Cooper Kupp, Ju-Ju and Sammy Watkins. Sammy makes 16 mill a year - this guy will make 9 mill a year folks.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/leaders/wr.php?year=2018&start=1&end=8

But more than stats, you know the guy will always do well on the field. He has an inner drive that fuels him like no one else. He will be our secret weapon.  If this story doesnt move you, nothing will. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/john-brown-nfl-secret-weapon

Obviously would’ve loved to get Beckham, but since we didn’t.... I do think this WR group has serious potential and all compliment each other well. 

We could use a bigger/go up and get it WR, but to have a “potential” #1 in Foster, a “potential” #2 in Zay, a sure handed slot (with swag) and a legit deep threat in Brown....all of which bring speed to the table, should at least give us reason to be hopeful in this group. 

This was very similar to what I wanted to see. 

Months ago I wanted DeSean Jackson via trade and our deep speed guy, and I would still take him at the one year left on his contract over brown..who like some others I didn’t think would come here after turning us down last year,  but we’re here now and brown is a solid addition. No complaints from me. 

Beasley was someone I didn’t think we could afford to bid with other teams, I really thought he would cost so so much more than what he got. He is without a doubt IMO the #1 addition this offseason for the simple reason he makes this offense an extremely deadly threat. Morse and brown are important but you can’t bomb it every play, when Allen makes that first read outside and sees the safeties deep covering the speed Beasley can feast underneath. Nobody and I mean nobody will cover that guy over the middle. He should be the biggest key to Allen making the next step to legit quarterbacking and climbing that elite ladder. 1st down clutch machine. 

All of that said I would really still like to see a tight end added with Kroft, who I like. I still want to see that kinda move tight end who can line up multiple spots and get open against the linebackers. Kroft is a great 5 yard catch guy. I want the Ertz 20 yard guy. So I’m hoping they can now draft one of the top tight ends this year. Very exciting additions this offseason. I honestly can’t complain about any of the signings. I found it to be pure genius on Beanes part 

• Like (+1) 1

I think from the standpoint of addressing many needs with sensible signings and contracts that protect us in the future Beane gets an A for this FA period. I think the guys we signed on offense are significant upgrades to what we had, especially Mitch. I am quite satisfied with this incoming class of FA, and I am firmly in the camp that the QB and scheme makes the WR, not the other way around. IF Allen is going to be great, we will see it with these guys.

That said, I know this fanbase, and if a couple games into the season we are not meeting expectations on offense I know people will be clamoring and saying Beane got cheap and signed B-level talent instead of spending recklessly for Brown or going all out like Cleveland. These guys we got are all known commodities in the NFL but, with the exception of Mitch, not considered the cream of the crop in terms of talent.

I really hope that Allen and Daboll make that jump. Because while this is all fun now I can already see the excuses coming down that Cole and Brown are too small, not good enough etc.

To add to this:

image.thumb.png.b31ffb65f29ad6d0007b612789a89ca5.png

I have said this on this board before but I really think having one of the top 5-10 WRs in the game, when they are under big contracts, can actually hurt a teams development. You only need good WRs, not great. And giving up a ton to get a top guy isnt worth it. Thats why this list isnt OBJ, Green, Brown, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Jones, etc.

Even if you go back through the SB loser teams: Cooks, Edelman, Julio, Ginn Jr, Edelman, D. Thomas, Crabtree. Nobody besides Julio one year is ever considered a top 5 WR in any season.

Edited by jletha

54 minutes ago, jletha said:

I think from the standpoint of addressing many needs with sensible signings and contracts that protect us in the future Beane gets an A for this FA period. I think the guys we signed on offense are significant upgrades to what we had, especially Mitch. I am quite satisfied with this incoming class of FA, and I am firmly in the camp that the QB and scheme makes the WR, not the other way around. IF Allen is going to be great, we will see it with these guys.

That said, I know this fanbase, and if a couple games into the season we are not meeting expectations on offense I know people will be clamoring and saying Beane got cheap and signed B-level talent instead of spending recklessly for Brown or going all out like Cleveland. These guys we got are all known commodities in the NFL but, with the exception of Mitch, not considered the cream of the crop in terms of talent.

I really hope that Allen and Daboll make that jump. Because while this is all fun now I can already see the excuses coming down that Cole and Brown are too small, not good enough etc.

To add to this:

image.thumb.png.b31ffb65f29ad6d0007b612789a89ca5.png

I have said this on this board before but I really think having one of the top 5-10 WRs in the game, when they are under big contracts, can actually hurt a teams development. You only need good WRs, not great. And giving up a ton to get a top guy isnt worth it. Thats why this list isnt OBJ, Green, Brown, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Jones, etc.

Even if you go back through the SB loser teams: Cooks, Edelman, Julio, Ginn Jr, Edelman, D. Thomas, Crabtree. Nobody besides Julio one year is ever considered a top 5 WR in any season.

I wonder what the overall team receiving stats were for the SB champs. I am sure they were all in the top 5 or 10 in the league. Only team that doesnt fit the bill of the top of my mind is the 2000 Ravens - they had Shannon Sharpe with 800 yards and must surely been in the bottom 10 in the league in passing stats.

In other words, what I am trying to say is - while you dont need a #1, you do need a set of productive WRs. I feel Foster, Zay, Brown, Beasley, Duke and a receiving TE from the draft can do that.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I wonder what the overall team receiving stats were for the SB champs. I am sure they were all in the top 5 or 10 in the league. Only team that doesnt fit the bill of the top of my mind is the 2000 Ravens - they had Shannon Sharpe with 800 yards and must surely been in the bottom 10 in the league in passing stats.

In other words, what I am trying to say is - while you dont need a #1, you do need a set of productive WRs. I feel Foster, Zay, Brown, Beasley, Duke and a receiving TE from the draft can do that.

What you need are guys that consistantly WIN their matchups.

For Buffalo.....the "star power" player is most likely going to need to be home grown.....that is why I am really rooting for Robert Foster to take another step this year.   What you have done is put players on the field with him that WIN their matchups......for instance Cole is a 3rd down move the chains monster.....John Brown can get behind any defense etc etc etc

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Exactly you need a good collection of WRs that are above average, can win matchups, create space and block. Any good QB will make it work with that and it allows the QB to learn to spread the ball around and make guys like that look good. I am pretty glad we didnt give up a ton for OBJ or Brown. I think the way Beane is approaching  the WR position is smart.

Beane stated they wouldn't break the bank and do splash signings.  I think he did a great job of plugging a lot of homes if short term.  This will the first draft in a very long time where their need list isn't a mile long.  The wr's and O line signings should help Allen a lot.