Draft Network: Christian Wilkins 5-Play Scouting Report

DCOrange

14 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I actually agree with your take on Oliver.  In regards to Wilkins, it works both ways.  He played with talented guys but he also might’ve been held back because he didn’t need to dominate every game.  I think the Alabama game answered a lot of those questions when Lawrence was out and they needed Wilkins to dominate and he did on the biggest stage against other guys who are gonna play in the NFL.  

Agreed, to a certain extent. He played great in the Natty, and no Lawrence wasn't next to him, but (just playing Devil's advocate at this point) that's both a one-game sample size and against some of the worst interior line play Bama has had in a long long time. I think it's less that I think he's bad, and more than I just don't want to take much risk with a prime pick like that. I will say, if we traded down into the teens, I'd be MUCH MUCH more okay with this pick, but if I had my druthers, we'd just take Simmons at the end of Rd. 1 (or hope he falls to us in Rd. 2) and sign a stop-gap FA for a year...

If we really feel the need for a DL in this draft, take Khalen Saunders or Terry Beckner in the 4th... I think you'd get 80-85% of the production with minimal risk...

Edited by glazeduck

IMO, Oliver is just too light and will just not hold up.

He’ll make a few spIash plays, but I think the OL will tighten its splits a little & he’ll get trampled and get run at all day long.

If we do get him, I hope I’m way off.

I have said before and was actually planning to make a thread about it as draft time approached: I think there's a very good chance Christian Wilkins is the target. Everything about his work ethic, character, style of play, and pedigree screams "process" to me. Whether or not they feel 9 is too high for him, I don't know, but I think there's a real good chance he's the guy.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-play-prospect--clemson-idl-christian-wilkins

Can't help but read this excerpt and feel like this is 100% the guy that McDermott wants at #9.

Oh yes...Process guy all the way and Bills fans should be aware he is most definitely in play at #9...

I would guess, based on the way McBeane value size, Wilkins will be above Oliver on their board...And that probably means DT #2  behind only Quinnen Williams...?

5 hours ago, mannc said:

I'll take the guy who's a natural leader, excelled against top competition and had one of the best games of his career on the biggest stage against a team loaded with NFL talent 

You just described Shaq Lawson.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You just described Shaq Lawson.

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

My thoughts exactly!  And that's about where he should be drafted, 17-20 range.

I think Wilkins is a better bet than Shaq--he's got the violent hands and initial quickness that you can't teach...he's the kind of guy whose deficiencies--like functional strength and contact balance--can be improved in an NFL strength program.

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think Wilkins is a better bet than Shaq--he's got the violent hands and initial quickness that you can't teach...he's the kind of guy whose deficiencies--like functional strength and contact balance--can be improved in an NFL strength program.

I think the concerns about his ceiling are legit though.

He leveled off his last 3 seasons at Clemson and will turn 24 late in his rookie year........a relative man amongst boys in a draft with the most underclassmen in history.

I'm a key position + high ceiling guy in round 1............and while he fills a need.......he checks neither box.   

That's not to say he can't work himself to another level but ability to improve is exactly the concern I have after 3 years of static production.

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He leveled off his last 3 seasons at Clemson and will turn 24 late in his rookie year........a relative man amongst boys in a draft with the most underclassmen in history.

I'm a key position + high ceiling guy in round 1............and while he fills a need.......he checks neither box.   

That's not to say he can't work himself to another level but ability to improve is exactly the concern I have after 3 years of static production.

That's fair. I think that there's Fletcher Cox upside there if he unlocks it, which is why I think he's not a bad fit at 9.

If they don't feel that way then yeah, there's no way they should pick him there 

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You’ve said that Tremaine Edmunds’s relative youth doesn’t make him a better prospect than other, older LBs.  Why does Wilkins being a little older than other DL prospects count against him?

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's fair. I think that there's Fletcher Cox upside there if he unlocks it, which is why I think he's not a bad fit at 9.

If they don't feel that way then yeah, there's no way they should pick him there 

Yeah I can see that comp.   Cox becoming the player he has very much surprised me.   I thought he was over drafted at 12 and that's proven wrong.

But Cox steadily improved in college and was a full 2 years younger than Wilkins as a NFL rookie.

If I'm going DT early I really want a guy with big time pass rush potential.     Those are really rare.

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

You’ve said that Tremaine Edmunds’s relative youth doesn’t make him a better prospect than other, older LBs.  Why does Wilkins being a little older than other DL prospects count against him?

Because his production has plateaued over the last 3 seasons.

Sometimes players can be late bloomers(see former OL Ray Brown and wish that upon Ty Nesehke:thumbsup:)...........sometimes they peak too soon and decline(Amobi Okoye)..........and other times they just hit their ceiling in college and stay there.

That's my concern with Wilkins...........upside.

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, let’s hope he doesn’t have a torn labrum.

Yep............if not for THAT then Shaq would have been great.:flirt:

Actually Shaq is one of many intriguing players on the roster.....going into his walk year............just not sure McD will keep him around for it.

One thing for sure.........Shaq loves him some Clemson.........he's Wooderson-esque in his devotion to the Clemson scene.

I'm not saying Wilkins also doesn't wanna' grow up but I am sure scouts are torn on whether his staying showed a burning desire to win or a desire to cling to the Clemson life.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

10 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Granted, it's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison, because most saw John McCargo as a bad pick to begin with, but I'd be afraid of a similar situation drafting ANY of those Clemson defensive lineman... McCargo benefited immensely by playing next to Mario Williams and Manny Lawson and as a result was grossly overdrafted. I can't tell you which player I think is the McCargo and which are the Mario/Lawson on that Clemson line, but I do think any of them pose some risk there -- none of Wilkins/Bryant/Lawrence/Ferrell are great athletes, Lawrence has the PEDs issue, etc. I just think between inferior ACC competition and playing together for as long as they did, the whole was better than the sum of those parts... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that attitude, and it certainly seems like Wilkins would fit well in this locker room, but I don't see him being a major disruptor in the NFL. Hope I'm wrong, seems like an awesome kid.

I think the other players on that D-line benefitted from Wilkins presence.  He played all over the line.  He was dominate against top competition and a difference maker over the course of years.  To me he's a Kyle Williams type (attitude wise) in a bigger body and with more versatility.  I can't help but think he is a guy they would scoop up.  Now, I don't necessarily think it will be at nine though.  I think we see the Bills trade back a bit and grab Wilkins in the 15-20 range.  He's the perfect storm: team leader, work ethic, production against top talent over the course of years, versatile in skill and at a position of need.  If the Bills took someone else at 9 I still wouldn't be shocked if they tried to trade back into the first round to get him.

You draft a DT at 9 you want a dominat pro bowl level player.  I dont see that potential.  I think they go impact player on d or premier pass catcher.  With the players Buffalo were linked to I could see Buffalo being higher on Metcalf than many think.  Screw it Metcalf, Foster, brown All goes with Beasly running an option route.