How Things Look from the Other Side of the World

Shaw66

I'm in Thailand.  You're pretty much all asleep.  Back in the US in a week.

It's weird trying to follow all the news with no one to talk to.  All of a sudden last night in the hotel, the only place I get internet, all the free agency news appeared on my tablet.   I was astounded.  

I'll give a few reactions from afar.  I'll post this post and then a few more,n replying to my own thread.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I become a bigger Beane fan every time there's a new move.  I think he knows exactly what he's doing.  He knows what kind of guys he wants and he knows what he's willing to pay.  He understands that not every guy he gets is going to be a standout player.  He knows, in fact, that not every guy he signs this week will be on the team in the fall.  He knows how much guaranteed money he is willing to risk.  

It's really impressive.  

The biggest question in the back of my head is whether he will have the courage to fire McD if he decides that he needs a better coach.  I hope he doesn't have to face that question.  I hope McD has all that it takes.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  For now, I think the guy is great.  I'm looking forward to the draft.  I'm guessing he will I be dealing, moving up a bit for the tackle he wants or moving down to pick up an extra second rounder. Something.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's weird trying to follow all the news with no one to talk to.  All [f a sudden last night in the hotel, the only place I get internet, all the free agency news appeared on my tablet.   I was astounded.  

I'll give a few reactions from afar.  I'll post this post and then a few more,n replying to my own thread.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.... busy FA period with some IMO sound prescriptive signings.

It was close, but you beat me to the punch :)

Edited by WideNine

We visited an elephant refuge today. They take elephants that have been trained to do work, or be in the circus, or run in elephant races (really) and spend two or three years teaching the how to live naturally in sort of controlled wilderness. 

Our top was conducted by the CEO.  It's a for-profit business.  He described that everyone in the organization has jobs that are focused on the ultimate objective.  There actually is a human being, 24 hours a day, who follows each elephant around. They work in shifts, stay out of the elephants way but step in life they need help.  Then there are support people who get whatever the elephant followers need.  The CEO's job is to hire good people, train them, fire the ones who aren't getting the job done. 

The CEO was describing all of this and I was thinking I've heard this before.  Then I realized he was talking about the process.  He was describing building a team in the same way McBeane talk about building a team. 

Elephants, linebackers, all the same. 

5 minutes ago, billsintaiwan said:

Have lived in Taiwan for 13 years, watch all the games live, and, aye, get my breaking news at odd times.

When we make it to the Superbowl, will definitely throw a bash at my restaurant here. Superbowl Party 8 a.m. on a Monday. Ha

That's got to be weird. 

I think Thurman is over here somewhere.

I wear a Bills shirt some days, a Bills cap some others.  No comments yet.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Like a lot of people, I thought John Brown was great when he hit the league.  Then he seemed to fade.  But I think he is a great addition.  Obviously still a serious deep threat, and Allen need another to go with Foster.  He also should be a mentor for Foster.  

I've always admired Beasley.  Tough as nails and reliable.  He's the kind of player McD loves.  

And I think the thread about Daboll building what he learned from Belichick is a good thought.  We've been hearing the McD wants Allen completing more short passes (for higher percentage).  That's why Duke Williams was signed, and Beasley for sure.  And Andre Roberts.  They liked the quick throw to McKenzie, and the jet sweep, and I'm sure they will be using Roberts in that role. 

The draft hasn't happened yet and the offense already has enough skill position players to be explosive.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

We visited an elephant refuge today. They take elephants that have been trained to do work, or be in the circus, or run in elephant races (really) and spend two or three years teaching the how to live naturally in sort of controlled wilderness. 

Our top was conducted by the CEO.  It's a for-profit business.  He described that everyone in the organization has jobs that are focused on the ultimate objective.  There actually is a human being, 24 hours a day, who follows each elephant around. They work in shifts, stay out of the elephants way but step in life they need help.  Then there are support people who get whatever the elephant followers need.  The CEO's job is to hire good people, train them, fire the ones who aren't getting the job done. 

The CEO was describing all of this and I was thinking I've heard this before.  Then I realized he was talking about the process.  He was describing building a team in the same way McBeane talk about building a team. 

That's got to be weird. 

The elephant stuff makes me wonder if we are indeed drafting Metcalf.

• Haha (+1) 4

I absolutely love the Gore signing.  Yes they need some youth at running back, but does anyone really think he doesn't know that?  

I said someplace else that Gore is a better Ivory.  Tough, tough guy, football saavy.  I didn't know he and Shady are buddies.  I think it's a good thing when your team has guys who want to play together. It says a lot that Shady encouraged Gore to come.  

Gore almost certainly is another locker room leader.  

Probably means Ivory is gone, which is disappointing, but that's the nature of the game. 

Best part of being in Asia is that it's easy to avoid all the US political news. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I've said since the season ended that the Bills need one or two new vet starters on the oline, and one rookie starter.  The Bills are on track.

Morse looks like a perfect addition. I think McBeane really buy the old adage that the most important players play closest to the ball. In less than a year they got their MLB, their QB and now their center.  

The other acquisitions will fight for their jobs.  And Mills, Miller, Groy, Bodine and Teller all are on notice.  

Like I said to start, I love what Beane is doing.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

That's got to be weird. 

Yup, I live in Japan.

"Our top"? Was "our tour" auto-corrected?

I've visited Thailand a bunch of times, as it's so cheap.

Get a massage (not a Krafty, instead get the legit kind). Super cheap. It's like two hours for $8. My wife and I used to get them right on the beach together. We also love the food there, and the food at the stalls is as good as it is at the restaurants. Love the tuktuks too, and the temples. The people are so kind. I'll never forget arranging to rent a motorbike from a guy who lived by the road. We asked him where we could rent a motorbike. He called his son over and said, "Use his." We didn't leave a passport or money or anything. Just pay when you get back. (We did!)

Also loved visiting "The Beach," from the DiCaprio movie, though it sounds like you're in a different part of the country.

I bet you've seen a lot of Germans, right? Germans and Australians seem to flock there, but not all that many Yanks. 

Enjoy!

Edited by Thurman#1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, I live in Japan.

"Our top"? Was "our tour" auto-corrected?

I've visited Thailand a bunch of times, as it's so cheap.

Get a massage (not a Krafty, instead get the legit kind). Super cheap. It's like two hours for $8. My wife and I used to get them right on the beach together. We also love the food there, and the food at the stalls is as good as it is at the restaurants. Love the tuktuks too, and the temples. The people are so kind. I'll never forget arranging to rent a motorbike from a guy who lived by the road. We asked him where we could rent a motorbike. He called his son over and said, "Use his." We didn't leave a passport or money or anything. Just pay when you get back.

Also loved visiting "The Beach," from the DiCaprio movie, though it sounds like you're in a different part of the country.

I bet you've seen a lot of Germans, right? Germans and Australians seem to flock there, but not all that many Yanks.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the proof read. 

Not many Germans, but you're right about prices and food. Apparently some Americans retire here. 

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for the proof read. 

Not many Germans, but you're right about prices and food. Apparently some Americans retire here. 

Oh, yeah. There are American retirees all over the cheaper areas of Southeast Asia. You can retire on a military pension and afford a maid and a cook, I'm told. I'm not military but I've met a bunch of military retirees and spouses as we travel. The Philippines has a bunch of them too. And sun sun sun.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's weird trying to follow all the news with no one to talk to.  All of a sudden last night in the hotel, the only place I get internet, all the free agency news appeared on my tablet.   I was astounded.  

Enjoy your travels, and be safe. "Yes!" it has been a fun few days for Bills fans. Exciting things going on. I feel we won the Free Agency season, only time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

Hey Shaw.  I like your take on most of what you have said about the Bills.  Speaking about guys close to the ball, I think they are going to draft a DT high maybe even at 9.  I'm thinking Ed Oliver or Christian Wilkins.

Also Groy, Miller, and Mills are all free agents so they are no longer with the Bills.

I think all of these free agent signings make the team this year.

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1