How Things Look from the Other Side of the World

Shaw66

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

What I really want to know, Shaw, is how your time in Thailand is going!

I really, really want to go. It seems right up my alley. Buddhist temples, cheap, delicious food, auto-rickshaws, beautiful beaches. I know it's not all sunshine and roses. I've been to India and really loved it, in spite of the almost unfathomable poverty and the crowding.

What parts of the country are you visiting? Business or pleasure (or both)? What's been your favorite part? Least favorite part?

Forgive my prying, I'm just so intrigued by Thailand.

On a tour.  Hanoi, Halong Bay, HoI An in Viet Nam.  Siem Reap in Cambodia to see Angkor Wat.  Luang Prabang in Laos and two days on a Mekong River boat to Thailand.  Chiang Rai in Thailand, Bangkok tomorrow, then Singapore and home.  

As others have said, it seems a lot of Americans retire to Thailand.  Cost of living is low, and most people who live in the cities eat most meals on the street.  Good, low cost food.  Haven't been to the beaches.  Temples ARE amazing, but after a while they are just another temple.

People are really friendly.

Free speech doesn't exist here, and not much democracy either, but the people don't seem to mind much.  They have homes, food and family, and they generally have more money then their parents had.  Capitalism in Viet Nam and Thailand is changing those countries almost before your eyes.  

Cambodia will need several more decades to overcome the devestation of US bombing, civil war and and the Khmer Rouge.  What happened there was horrifying.  

They're all scared of the Chinese, but they like Chinese investors.  

Fascinating to see life and civilization so different from our own.

And yes, there seems to be almost total lack of awareness of American football.  

14 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I can't confirm you're correct about that.  

McDermott once said, as he was describing the process, that everyone gets evalauted regularly and has objective set regularly, including himself.  Terry is pretty hands off; that leaves Beane as the only one to evaluate McD.

These days it is so much easier to follow American Football internationally. Past two years, I have managed to not miss anything despite traveling multiple times to Singapore, Hong Kong, China and India. Time difference helps since no one cares about American Football- they are all fast asleep. TBD updates helped too (esp. from YOLO and 26) - they kept me fully updated.

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

These days it is so much easier to follow American Football internationally. Past two years, I have managed to not miss anything despite traveling multiple times to Singapore, Hong Kong, China and India. Time difference helps since no one cares about American Football- they are all fast asleep. TBD updates helped too (esp. from YOLO and 26) - they kept me fully updated.

I've ignored pretty much all the news, but I'm on TBD daily.  Yolo and we are amazing.  Others as well.  If there's Bills news, it's on TBD.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

McDermott once said, as he was describing the process, that everyone gets evalauted regularly and has objective set regularly, including himself.  Terry is pretty hands off; that leaves Beane as the only one to evaluate McD.

Oh i believe he gets evaluated but I'm not sure it's by Beane.  I think Beane offers input but I think he gives that information upward.  

Rex didn't report to Whaley,  McD didn't report to Whaley and I can't find it anywhere that McD reports to Beane.  

5 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

And you probably pulled last call at Better Days!    Just a guess from another Wellsville guy

Lol  no  i work second.

i rarely went there but ive been told the place has gone down hill since the previous owner became a vegan and the new owner is a coke head.

• Thank you (+1) 1