How Things Look from the Other Side of the World

Shaw66

9 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Hey Shaw.  I like your take on most of what you have said about the Bills.  Speaking about guys close to the ball, I think they are going to draft a DT high maybe even at 9.  I'm thinking Ed Oliver or Christian Wilkins.

Also Groy, Miller, and Mills are all free agents so they are no longer with the Bills.

I think all of these free agent signings make the team this year.

Thanks.  I guess I knew about those guys being free agents but forgot.  That's not uncommon.  

And yes you're right. All the free agent o linemen than should make the team.  I really want a good rookie OT. 

11 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

Glad you’re enjoying Thailand Shaw! Are you in the Golden triangle? Are you surprised at the volume of FA players recruited? Does it bother you that the Bills  haven’t taken any of the biggest ‘names’ in FA?

So much for no political talk.  The golden triangle is what got the whole Russian collusion thing going.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

We visited an elephant refuge today. They take elephants that have been trained to do work, or be in the circus, or run in elephant races (really) and spend two or three years teaching the how to live naturally in sort of controlled wilderness. 

Our top was conducted by the CEO.  It's a for-profit business.  He described that everyone in the organization has jobs that are focused on the ultimate objective.  There actually is a human being, 24 hours a day, who follows each elephant around. They work in shifts, stay out of the elephants way but step in life they need help.  Then there are support people who get whatever the elephant followers need.  The CEO's job is to hire good people, train them, fire the ones who aren't getting the job done. 

The CEO was describing all of this and I was thinking I've heard this before.  Then I realized he was talking about the process.  He was describing building a team in the same way McBeane talk about building a team. 

Elephants, linebackers, all the same. 

That's got to be weird. 

I think Thurman is over here somewhere.

I wear a Bills shirt some days, a Bills cap some others.  No comments yet.  

Serious question: How does that company make money?

Awesome... I spent several years in Asia, including many visits to Thailand.  Great place!    

I agree with you about Beane... we have been saying that this offseason is when we would begin to see who he really is, and so far it looks great!  

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I absolutely love the Gore signing.  Yes they need some youth at running back, but does anyone really think he doesn't know that?  

I said someplace else that Gore is a better Ivory.  Tough, tough guy, football saavy.  I didn't know he and Shady are buddies.  I think it's a good thing when your team has guys who want to play together. It says a lot that Shady encouraged Gore to come.  

Gore almost certainly is another locker room leader.  

Probably means Ivory is gone, which is disappointing, but that's the nature of the game. 

Best part of being in Asia is that it's easy to avoid all the US political news. 

Iv'e learned to not watch the 1st 10-15 minutes of any news broadcast. Kind of weird that the good news waits til the end of the broadcast.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I become a bigger Beane fan every time there's a new move.  I think he knows exactly what he's doing.  He knows what kind of guys he wants and he knows what he's willing to pay.  He understands that not every guy he gets is going to be a standout player.  He knows, in fact, that not every guy he signs this week will be on the team in the fall.  He knows how much guaranteed money he is willing to risk.  

It's really impressive.  

The biggest question in the back of my head is whether he will have the courage to fire McD if he decides that he needs a better coach.  I hope he doesn't have to face that question.  I hope McD has all that it takes.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  For now, I think the guy is great.  I'm looking forward to the draft.  I'm guessing he will I be dealing, moving up a bit for the tackle he wants or moving down to pick up an extra second rounder. Something.  

Pretty sure Beane doesn't have the authority to fire McDermott. That would come directly from the owners.

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pretty sure Beane doesn't have the authority to fire McDermott. That would come directly from the owners.

I'm also curious as to how that would work. I'm not sure who has what authority with the Pegulas since McDermott was the first one here and the driving force for change. 

If McDermott fails, I'm not sure the Pegulas would be able to separate their analysis of who is at fault. McD and Beane are attached at the hip in all of this. 

I'm not worrying about it too much though, let's remain positive and let things play out. McD and Beane are the most competent leaders this franchise has had in a long time. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Serious question: How does that company make money?

Tourism.  We were there for a half day, some people stay for a couple days and help take care of the elephants.  American, European, Asian tourists like not because they're saving wildlife and protecting the environment. 

You can invest in the company.   He says they are currently earning 7% for the investors.  they can do it because the cost of living is low here, so their employees are getting paid maybe $1000, $1500 a month and they think they're getting paid a lot.  

It was an interesting place. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

He couldn't do it on his own, I agree.  And I agree that the Pegulas also might fire the package.  

But I am certain it's Beane's responsibility to evaluate McD, do performance reviews.  I can imagine a scenario where he'd go to the Pegulas and recommend a new coach. 

It's no different from players.  It's part of the process.  If Beane can getter a better player, he gets him and they let someone go.  That happens when a player has maxed out on his potential and just won't get any better.  Of McD maxed out and Beane thought he could get a better coach, I think it's his job to do it.  

I agree with the others.  I think McD is doing fine.  But if the Bills go 6-10 this season, Beane has to begin to wonder about his coach.  

Edited by Shaw66

I moved to Singapore and got married. Been here 5 months and it's beautiful. Still in the process of immigration myself but my plan is to stay. Just figured I would sound off since I can kinda relate to being far away. 

5 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I moved to Singapore and got married. Been here 5 months and it's beautiful. Still in the process of immigration myself but my plan is to stay. Just figured I would sound off since I can kinda relate to being far away. 

I will be there in about three days.  I will be the guy in the Bills cap.  Look for me.  

• Like (+1) 1

What I really want to know, Shaw, is how your time in Thailand is going!

I really, really want to go. It seems right up my alley. Buddhist temples, cheap, delicious food, auto-rickshaws, beautiful beaches. I know it's not all sunshine and roses. I've been to India and really loved it, in spite of the almost unfathomable poverty and the crowding.

What parts of the country are you visiting? Business or pleasure (or both)? What's been your favorite part? Least favorite part?

Forgive my prying, I'm just so intrigued by Thailand.

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

We visited an elephant refuge today. They take elephants that have been trained to do work, or be in the circus, or run in elephant races (really) and spend two or three years teaching the how to live naturally in sort of controlled wilderness. 

Our top was conducted by the CEO.  It's a for-profit business.  He described that everyone in the organization has jobs that are focused on the ultimate objective.  There actually is a human being, 24 hours a day, who follows each elephant around. They work in shifts, stay out of the elephants way but step in life they need help.  Then there are support people who get whatever the elephant followers need.  The CEO's job is to hire good people, train them, fire the ones who aren't getting the job done. 

The CEO was describing all of this and I was thinking I've heard this before.  Then I realized he was talking about the process.  He was describing building a team in the same way McBeane talk about building a team. 

Elephants, linebackers, all the same. 

That's got to be weird. 

I think Thurman is over here somewhere.

I wear a Bills shirt some days, a Bills cap some others.  No comments yet.  

I was in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam the past two years on extended vacations. I wore Bills gear on and off through the trips and only had a few people make a comment. I think they were all Germans. It seems that most Americans that travel there and actually get out on the streets are lefties who don't follow football. It was really hard to find sports bars that had any American football news. Mostly the other type of Futbol. 

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He couldn't do it on his own, I agree.  And I agree that the Pegulas also might fire the package.  

But I am certain it's Beane's responsibility to evaluate McD, do performance reviews.  I can i,aging a scenario where he'd go to the Pegulas and recommend a new coach. 

It's no different from players.  It's part of the process.  If Beane can getter a better player, he gets him and they let someone go.  That happens when a player has maxed out on his potential and just won't get any better.  Of McD maxed out and Beane thought he could get a better coach, I think it's his job to do it.  

I agree with the others.  I think McD is doing fine.  But if the Bills go 6-10 this season, Beane has to begin to wonder about his coach.  

I can't confirm you're correct about that.  

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Tourism.  We were there for a half day, some people stay for a couple days and help take care of the elephants.  American, European, Asian tourists like not because they're saving wildlife and protecting the environment. 

You can invest in the company.   He says they are currently earning 7% for the investors.  they can do it because the cost of living is low here, so their employees are getting paid maybe $1000, $1500 a month and they think they're getting paid a lot.  

It was an interesting place. 

Sweet. Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like a good time.