Young Legs - RB David Montgomery - Iowa State

3rd round pick?

5' 10'  222

4.63 40

Player Bio

Montgomery was a dual-threat quarterback in high school, even earning Division III Ohio Player of the Year recognition from the Associated Press after his senior season (2,707 yards, 41 TD rushing). Schools outside the Midwest did not come calling, however, so Iowa State nabbed the three-star recruit. He led the Cyclones in rushing as a true freshman, playing in all 12 games with starts in the final four weeks (109-563-5.2, two TDs rushing; 13-129-9.9 receiving). Montgomery had more of a workload in 2017, starting all 13 games and earning first-team All-Big 12 notice with 258 carries for 1,146 yards (4.4 average) and 11 scores. He also helped carry the passing offense with 36 receptions for 296 yards (8.2 average). Montgomery was a second-team all-conference pick by the coaches his junior season, accumulating 257 carries for 1,216 yards (4.7 average) and 13 touchdowns (also 22-157-7.1 receiving) in 12 games (11 starts).

Overview

One of the safest runners in this draft with a desirable combination of size, vision, toughness and creativity. He runs with impressive calm and instincts in the midst of interior mayhem, weaving and battering his way through traffic. Smart teams will recognize his ability to create yardage for himself with his eyes, footwork, contact balance and power. Should alleviate concerns about his lack of explosiveness. Montgomery has a pro-ready game and Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) value as a good NFL starter.

Sources Tell Us
"That's my guy! If he gets with the right team, he's going to be the best running back to come out of this class and you won't have to draft him early either." -- Scouting director with AFC team

NFL Comparison - Kareem Hunt

and let him learn the game behind McCoy and Gore....

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

With the age of the running backs I think a 3rd or 4th must be running back.  By years end could easily become the bell cow.  There are 10 guys who could be there and I think you take whatever flavor you want.  There are guys in all shapes and sizes in the draft this year. 

Edited by Mat68

15 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

3rd round pick?

5' 10'  222

4.63 40

Player Bio

Montgomery was a dual-threat quarterback in high school, even earning Division III Ohio Player of the Year recognition from the Associated Press after his senior season (2,707 yards, 41 TD rushing). Schools outside the Midwest did not come calling, however, so Iowa State nabbed the three-star recruit. He led the Cyclones in rushing as a true freshman, playing in all 12 games with starts in the final four weeks (109-563-5.2, two TDs rushing; 13-129-9.9 receiving). Montgomery had more of a workload in 2017, starting all 13 games and earning first-team All-Big 12 notice with 258 carries for 1,146 yards (4.4 average) and 11 scores. He also helped carry the passing offense with 36 receptions for 296 yards (8.2 average). Montgomery was a second-team all-conference pick by the coaches his junior season, accumulating 257 carries for 1,216 yards (4.7 average) and 13 touchdowns (also 22-157-7.1 receiving) in 12 games (11 starts).

Overview

One of the safest runners in this draft with a desirable combination of size, vision, toughness and creativity. He runs with impressive calm and instincts in the midst of interior mayhem, weaving and battering his way through traffic. Smart teams will recognize his ability to create yardage for himself with his eyes, footwork, contact balance and power. Should alleviate concerns about his lack of explosiveness. Montgomery has a pro-ready game and Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) value as a good NFL starter.

Sources Tell Us
"That's my guy! If he gets with the right team, he's going to be the best running back to come out of this class and you won't have to draft him early either." -- Scouting director with AFC team

NFL Comparison - Kareem Hunt

and let him learn the game behind McCoy and Gore....

No thanks,  we need to add a speed guy,  

The safest bet ever is going to be us taking a RB in the middle rounds. 

Start out with McCoy and Gore, then work a guy like this in as the season progresses. 

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, c-troop said:

His avg is attrocious, OU RB Rodney Anderson or MEM RB Darrell Henderson please! ?

I like Anderson but the guy just can't stay healthy.  A guy I really like and may get as an UDFA is Darrin Hall out of Pitt.  Had some huge games when Ollison was injured.  I like Montgomery and Gaskin as well.

Edited by DallasMac

21 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

No thanks,  we need to add a speed guy,  

Now is not the time to be picky. Every back on the roster is too old. It's time to get the next every down back. You can find a speed guy every year.

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Dexter Williams in the 3rd or 4th :thumbsup:

Dex is one of the fastest people in pads in the nation.

Good to talk rookie RB in the 3-4th round. Thanks for the contribution, I'll watch.

I think DM is an every down back, I'll look at this though.

Trayveon Williams is another back that I think will be very good.

2 minutes ago, c-troop said:

whats the boards' general consensus of what round we should be adding our future RB in? I'm thinking no sooner than the 4th

Agree though I'd prefer the 5th

2 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Good to talk rookie RB in the 3-4th round. Thanks for the contribution, I'll watch.

I think DM is an every down back, I'll look at this though.

Dex can run, catch, and pick up the blitz. He can be an every down guy as well. Explosive is the word that best describes him. 

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

Dexter Williams in the 3rd or 4th :thumbsup:

Dex is one of the fastest people in pads in the nation.

Wow, ok I'm sold

D Williams in the 3rd or D Montgomery in the 4th?

6 minutes ago, c-troop said:

whats the boards' general consensus of what round we should be adding our future RB in? I'm thinking no sooner than the 4th

3-5 IMO

Just now, c-troop said:

i'm all for picking up a back in the draft, but i wonder what it would cost to pry Gus Edwards away from Baltimore?

they just picked up Mark Ingram and they have Alex Collins already also...

This guy is an absolute monster at 6-1' 238 lbs. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaGu00.htm

I doubt Baltimore moves him. Edwards is young and had a solid season last year. Ingram is pushing 30 and is likely just there to split carries. Baltimore is going to run the ball 40 times a game. 

• Like (+1) 1