With all the moves, I'm now conflicted at 9

Virgil

With all the recent signings, I don’t see 10 draft picks making the team so I think they are going to be wheeling and dealing moving up where needed to get the guy they want. TE, DT and big WR are biggest needs with depth picks elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I'm beyond happy with who the Bills have gotten so far and think we've put ourselves in great shape for the draft.  I think they need to roll some money over to re-sign our own guys next year, but I would still like to see them spend a little.  With that, I think there are three positions that can really put us over the top.

1 - OT - There's two guys that could go at 9.  Only one of them is projected to be able to play LT.  If we could get him, kick Dawkins to LG, then the other FA's start, our offensive line would be a force.

2 - Ed Oliver - This one is hard for me as McDermott is heavy on rotation.  But his pass rush ability up the middle (just for your Marsha) would fill out the line nicely

3 - Josh Allen - I wasn't on board before, but I can't help but think about it now.  He's a monster in both pass rush and coverage.  With the QB's heating up, I could see him dropping to 4th or 5th.  That's not a crazy jump forward.  Imagine Allen, Milano, and Edmunds for the next 10 years. 

I wish there were some guys left in FA that could take one of these positions off the board, but there aren't any studs left.  Starters that are serviceable?  Yes.  If the Bills could pull off a trade where they got their edge rusher while keeping the #9, that would be amazing.

I also still want one of the Iowa TE's and Jarek Cook somehow.

Damn this is all exciting.

This totally changes how I do the fanspeak  mock draft simulator.

We hopefully won't be picking at #9 for a long time.  Given this assumption, Pass rush (with a heavy lean toward DE) and outside/X receiver will be key needs in the coming years. 

My dream/unlikely scenarios:

A: Metcalf and a trade up for Simmons 

B. Gary/Burns/Oliver and a Metcalf/Butler/Harmon

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Biggest difference maker.  Where ever.  I would have hated it a week ago but I'm even ok with corner or linebaker.  9 should net an impact player.  If they dont see one available trade it for one.  

this.  someone the other team will have to account for every time he is on he field.  

38 minutes ago, dje85 said:

I'm gun shy about taking wrs that early ever since Sammy Watkins. I was ecstatic at the time we snagged him even if we had to trade up.  I know one wr fail doesn't mean it will always happen but still makes me gun shy. I'd rather take one of the dts where even if he doesn't ive p to the hype taken at 9 he will likely still play at a decent level and his short comings can be hid in a dt rotation.

Sammy's grade was like one of the best they ever made for a WR. Better than AJ Green and equal to Julio's. I'd make that pick every time (I wouldn't trade up though) grades that high have always been a sure thing. 

He was like the one exception sorta being a bust with a grade that high haha. I'd still take that at 9 right now. I just don't think DK Metcalf is nearly in that ballpark amongst the scouts.

#9 If we stay, then take best available pass rushing DE/DT; Christian Wilkins DT or Ed Oliver DT otherwise slide down... I think that the offensive prospects are a reach in the top 10. Drafting guys later works for me, because I feel confident that our staff can develop defensive players. Screw WR's in round 1 unless they are absolute beasts like Megatron.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

My dream is to trade back and grab an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, then to draft best available TE/OL; T.J. Hockenson TE or CODY FORD OT, then trade up from 2nd round and take someone like Jonah Williams OGI believe that a TE will not be drafted in the top 12.

FYI, I like multiple first rounders to get the extra year on their contracts.

* Free agency gave us extreme flexibility. 

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Pipe dream: After all is said and done we will find a #1 WR in a trade after the draft. I would trade away our 2020 #1 round, #3 round, Shaq Lawson and Levi Wallace for Julio Jones WR. Then extend him for a career ending contract in Buffalo.

2 hours ago, dje85 said:

I'll make it easier for you. Josh Allen 99% likely  won't be available by our pick. Also, the Bills won't slide Dawkins inside to left guard. I don't get people's obsession with wanting to do this just because some draft analysts and anonymous scouts said he would be god there.

Because he played some guard early in his rookie year and looked good doing it . 

4 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

#9 If we stay, then take best available pass rushing DE/DT; Christian Wilkins DT or Ed Oliver DT otherwise slide down... I think that the offensive prospects are a reach in the top 10. Drafting guys later works for me, because I feel confident that our staff can develop defensive players. Screw WR's in round 1 unless they are absolute beasts like Megatron.

My dream is to trade back and grab an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, then to draft best available TE/OL; T.J. Hockenson TE or CODY FORD OT, then trade up from 2nd round and take someone like Jonah Williams OGI believe that a TE will not be drafted in the top 12.

FYI, I like multiple first rounders to get the extra year on their contracts.

* Free agency gave us extreme flexibility. 

................................................................................................................................................................

I agree with all of this

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I'd be more excited about DK Metcalf but I don't really know anything about him. Kinda feel shades of Dolphins grabbing Ted Ginn Jr at 10 in a class where there was no other real clear top WR talent.

Metcalf ran almost all go routes it seems like. That really scares me. Forget the combine numbers, let other idiots take him. I wouldnt do it at 9

Edited by BillsSbSoon

First round pics are effectively locked in for 5 years.

They have 4 year contracts plus a 5th year option to the team drafting them.

2nd round and after are 3 year contracts, with only the tag as an option.

It makes sense to move up to the mid-late 1st round territory if possible.

In the Bills situation trade down from 9 to say 18, and then pair up 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd to get back into the first at 25-32.

2 picks on 4-5 yr contracts, instead of one.

• Like (+1) 4

This is pretty straight forward for me, actually.  Give me Ed Oliver in the 1st and Hakeem Butler in the 2nd (or a slight trade up). 

I am hoping we can close the deal with Ansah and have him running off the edge with Hughes.  We have our run stuffer in the middle with Star and if we can get a 3rd disruptive force in there with Oliver, our D will be ready for prime time.  I like our depth with the Phillips boys as well.

I am of the opinion that I am not sure any WRs in this class will ever be ELITE, but I think there are a lot of guys that will be very good for a long time.  I think Hakeem Butler with his size and speed has a chance to be a very good one.

47 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I see a trade back from #9.

A TE is a given. OL and or DL with the extra pick seems worthy.

I'd like to see a trade back as well....if they stay put, the pick will likely be TE.

If they trade back, a surprise pick could be Alabama RB Josh Jacobs....Daboll  connections, plus why bring in Gore if not to mentor a rookie RB along with Shady then turn the position over to him the following year??….Just something to think about.

31 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Metcalf ran almost all go routes it seems like. That really scares me. Forget the combine numbers, let other idiots take him. I wouldnt do it at 9

I'd wager he looked exactly like Ted Ginn Jr then by that assessment. No thanks

Just now, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I'd wager he looked exactly like Ted Ginn Jr then by that assessment. No thanks

He ran "go" routes because the OC at Ole Miss was awful.  The guy had 3 WRs, 2 OL, a TE and a QB who are going to be drafted and didn't fully use them.  The offense had him running pure vertical routes.  He may not be able to run a great tree right now, but I don't think its fair judge him on this right now.

This is a good, high-level article:

https://m.oxfordeagle.com/2018/12/12/phil-longos-departure-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-ole-miss/

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

He ran "go" routes because the OC at Ole Miss was awful.  The guy had 3 WRs, 2 OL, a TE and a QB who are going to be drafted and didn't fully use them.  The offense had him running pure vertical routes.  He may not be able to run a great tree right now, but I don't think its fair judge him on this right now.

https://m.oxfordeagle.com/2018/12/12/phil-longos-departure-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-ole-miss/

Hm still a bit risky if we haven't seen him do it in action.. believe me I want to fall in love with a stud WR this draft. But idk here. I'm just gonna stay in blissful ignorance and trust Beane to get it right 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Special K said:

I'd like to see a trade back as well....if they stay put, the pick will likely be TE.

If they trade back, a surprise pick could be Alabama RB Josh Jacobs....Daboll  connections, plus why bring in Gore if not to mentor a rookie RB along with Shady then turn the position over to him the following year??….Just something to think about.

RB is a 3-4 round pick.

TE is a need at late 1st round. Plenty available and can get a D F 7 or OL.

11 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Kind of is fair when youre talking about a top ten pick though. Its just too raw to me. Thats the kind of pick the raiders would usually make. I want to see more of a route tree ran

1 minute ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Kind of is fair when youre talking about a top ten pick though. Its just too raw to me. Thats the kind of pick the raiders would usually make. I want to see more of a route tree ran

If he doesn't and/or is incapable of running good routes, I'd wholeheartedly agree.  If he doesn't run good routes on tape because his coach runs air raid, it's unfair IMHO.