With all the moves, I'm now conflicted at 9

Virgil

3 hours ago, Iamkrgr said:

I'm tempted by Hockenson at 9. But I think the smart play is to go with the BPA and I think that'll be on the defensive side. Wilkins or Oliver or Gary. 

2nd round you let the board come to you and see where the better player is. Could a good olineman fall? A good WR?

Me too. Hockenson is a skill player with true elite level talent, in a draft that is not that heavy on them.

But Oliver? He is a beast. With his effort, size and speed - he would be the center of our D for a decade.

Hopefully one of them are there.

Edited by foreboding
spell

24 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

If he doesn't and/or is incapable of running good routes, I'd wholeheartedly agree.  If he doesn't run good routes on tape because his coach runs air raid, it's unfair IMHO.

When you havent seen it much on tape its just too risky for me with a top ten pick. Would it shock me if beane took him? Not really. He showed last year hes willing to take a risk. With the moves weve made i dont see it happening though. 

Stop drafting for need in your head then.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm beyond happy with who the Bills have gotten so far and think we've put ourselves in great shape for the draft.  I think they need to roll some money over to re-sign our own guys next year, but I would still like to see them spend a little.  With that, I think there are three positions that can really put us over the top.

1 - OT - There's two guys that could go at 9.  Only one of them is projected to be able to play LT.  If we could get him, kick Dawkins to LG, then the other FA's start, our offensive line would be a force.

2 - Ed Oliver - This one is hard for me as McDermott is heavy on rotation.  But his pass rush ability up the middle (just for your Marsha) would fill out the line nicely

3 - Josh Allen - I wasn't on board before, but I can't help but think about it now.  He's a monster in both pass rush and coverage.  With the QB's heating up, I could see him dropping to 4th or 5th.  That's not a crazy jump forward.  Imagine Allen, Milano, and Edmunds for the next 10 years. 

I wish there were some guys left in FA that could take one of these positions off the board, but there aren't any studs left.  Starters that are serviceable?  Yes.  If the Bills could pull off a trade where they got their edge rusher while keeping the #9, that would be amazing.

I also still want one of the Iowa TE's and Jarek Cook somehow.

Damn this is all exciting.

Just take BPA.

Target 4 positions of need and take BPA.

That could be TE, DL, OL, WR, RB

This is a deep DL/WR/TE draft.

None of the new contracts are long term. They are all front loaded.

The Bills can walk from any of them and not be hurt except Morse and Beasely.

These guys are space fillers until draft picks or the occasional FA pans out.

Backfill OL, WR, DL, Edge now. TE is an obvious need.

I understand the 'process' more now and like it.

Imagine if Miami gets Rosen, a distinct possibility.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I would be completely shocked if Buffalo moved up from 9.  Of course, any trade requires an interested partner, but I wouldn't mind a trade down.  I think Ed Oliver is the most likely pick at #9, pending his pro day (not having run all the tests and drills at the combine).  I don't think Josh Allen will be available.  I'd be a little surprised if Buffalo went offensive line that high after the free agents Beane signed.  If Buffalo does not sign Ziggy Ansah, I suppose an edge rusher could be in play (Montez Sweat, Brian Burns or Clelin Ferrell.  I won't be completely shocked if Buffalo picked DK Metcalf, but I don't think it's terribly likely.  

This.

I don't see Allen at 9, Dawkins is staying and has another year at LT with a better O-Line coach to get his game back on track, I think DL at 9. I don't see them shoring up the offense at all in the 1st rd - IMO. 

I really like some of the offensive skill guys that are slated to go rd 1 (I think Hock will be a solid TE in the league),  but I am not going to talk myself into believing they make the most sense in a draft where the top-end talent BPA are stacked on the defensive side.

I have been surprised by OBD before, we will see.

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm beyond happy with who the Bills have gotten so far and think we've put ourselves in great shape for the draft.  I think they need to roll some money over to re-sign our own guys next year, but I would still like to see them spend a little.  With that, I think there are three positions that can really put us over the top.

1 - OT - There's two guys that could go at 9.  Only one of them is projected to be able to play LT.  If we could get him, kick Dawkins to LG, then the other FA's start, our offensive line would be a force.

2 - Ed Oliver - This one is hard for me as McDermott is heavy on rotation.  But his pass rush ability up the middle (just for your Marsha) would fill out the line nicely

3 - Josh Allen - I wasn't on board before, but I can't help but think about it now.  He's a monster in both pass rush and coverage.  With the QB's heating up, I could see him dropping to 4th or 5th.  That's not a crazy jump forward.  Imagine Allen, Milano, and Edmunds for the next 10 years. 

I wish there were some guys left in FA that could take one of these positions off the board, but there aren't any studs left.  Starters that are serviceable?  Yes.  If the Bills could pull off a trade where they got their edge rusher while keeping the #9, that would be amazing.

BPA at positions of difference makers that's were we got to go now.  Either DT3, DE, TE or WR. I think most here would love to trade bk and get Hock but if we can't just take the best player at these positions on there board. 

The way Beane set us up here is exactly for the draft. We have added most of the complementary pieces on offense and defense now we need the true game breakers. Game breakers usually come thru the draft if u look at nearly every sport that's usually the case. 

I think the Bills should finish this offense if DK is there take him and then do there best to trade up bk into lower 20s before the Raiders are on the board at 24 to get either Hock or Fant. Even if we have to give up or 2,3 & 4 that's fine because the offense will have gotten it's final pieces of the puzzle. 

Wrs

DK Metcalf 

Foster

Brown

Beasley 

Zay

Duke

Robert's 

TEs

Hock or Fant

Kroft

Croom 

Add another blocker

If we get this done and draft a lineman or 2 to develop for the future this can be the start of a Superbowl caliber offense. Now some might say how bout the D? Well we had the #2 ranked defense last yr so we can push next yrs draft to load up on that side of the ball plus we will have nearly 90mil in cap space. 

Another thing we should do now is go get us some mercenaries for this defense offer Suh and Houston 1yr guarantee deals.  Maybe 12mil a piece. Imagine what our rotation would be on that dline . This team would be ready to compete for deep playoffs run right now.  I'm hoping the Bills attack the rest of the offseason like this. 

If we we go DL, I’m hoping it will be Christian Wilkins.  Really disruptive and versatile, four-year starter (got his degeee in less than three years), recognized as a gym rat and a leader.  Reminds me of a DL version of Tre White coming out of LSU.  Greatly prefer him to Oliver. Wilkins might even be available after a modest trade back.

Edited by mannc
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think the draft boils down to how to replace Charles Clay and Kyle Williams.

Is Tight End more important than 3T Defensive Tackle? Or vice versa? Are there any more free agents going to arrive? I think if healthy Ansah is a welcome addition.

I believe that the offensive line is set following the recent free agency activity.

LT Nsekhe physically imposing, highly graded, ready to start

LG Feliciano road grader with attitude, good weight

OC Morse smart pass blocking center that fans have been seeking

RG Long good player before injury, center mentality and knowledge

RT Dawkins our only returning starter, now with a better cast around him

Backups, assuming Ducasse is cut and Groy, Miller and Mills don’t return.

LT Sirles LG Teller OC Bodine RG Boettger RT McDermott

Of the backups only Teller has true potential and if he impresses in camp he can force his way into either Guard position.

Is there a genuine LT to draft at 9? This is only because of Nsekhe’s age. At this point I think the only consensus round 1 LT is Andre Dillard (someone how is going to stick at LT no matter what at NFL level). Apart from QB do you take a round 1 guy and sit him for a year?!

QB Allen RB McCoy WR1 Brown WR2 Foster WR3 Beasley TE Kroft

Duke Williams could be a WR1 or a preseason cut. Zay Jones is WR4 right now I think.

Ed Oliver was a five star recruit, playing in a non power 5 conference. Hockenson was fortunate enough to play alongside Noah Fant. Christian Wilkins was on the stacked Clemson line with Lawrence and Ferrell. Every player in the draft has issues but I think Josh Allen is the most appealing pick but long gone at 9 barring a miracle.

On the basis that Kyle was more important than Clay, my tentative vote is for Christian Wilkins.

Tight ends I would strongly consider are Foster Moreau and Jace Sternberger.

Since many people think that not all picks will make the final 53 in rounds 6 and 7 I would pick Wishowksy and Gay from Utah as Punter and Kicker and take a chance on Niagara Falls native RB Qadree Ollison. Give special teams a chance for a makeover.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm with you Virgil, I was all about an o-linemen before Tuesday, but now I am leaning more towards a TE. But really, any of the scenarios you described would be great.

Wow, it really is cool when you can draft the BPA and not be forced into "need" drafting. All of these would help the Bills, but not none are "have to have them" guys.

At 9 I it would look like this for me:

1.  DK Metcalf

2.  Greedy Williams

3.  Ed Oliver/Christian Wilkins

4.  Surprise pick in a trade back - DT Jerry Tillery

5.  Montez Sweat

Beyond 15 I'd take a TE but I wouldn't take one before then.  

Why Metcalf could still be a possibility at 9.  First, John Brown's contract is essentially a 1 year deal.  They could cut bait with him next year.  In that time it could give Metcalf or some other rookie WR a chance to learn the offense, refine their routes so on and so forth.  It wouldn't put a lot of pressure on the rookie to come in right away.  So my thinking is because Brown's contract is structured the way it is, we are drafting a WR, whether that be rd 1 or somewhere else.  We are going to draft a WR.

Why Greedy Williams could be a possibility.  Levi played great down the stretch last year but this would be about can the position be upgraded substantially and you do that with talent.  This is an issue of talent vs technique.  Levi played well and did a good job because of technique.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  Williams however, is a guy that possess both talent and technique.  He's a superior talent and his technique may already be equivalent or beyond Levi's.  I don't know.  But what I would say is if you have an opportunity to substantially increase your talent at a position, DO IT.

Why Ed Oliver, Christian Wilkins at 9 and or Jerry Tillery in the early teens.  Right now the team has 3 DT's on the roster, one of which is a depth player.  Phillips is an unknown at this point so you need a high level of competition in this area.  Let two unknowns battle it out for the starting spot.  I do think they like Wilkins and Tillery over Oliver because of length and they were both just as productive on the interior in terms of sacks and QB pressures.  I wouldn't be surprised if Tillery was their top guy here.  Not only can he push the pocket and get pressures and sacks, but his length allows him to swat a lot of footballs.  From what I've read, a lot of teams love Tillery.  I think the Bills are one of them.  He's just scratching the surface and with his frame he brings a lot.

Why Montez Sweat could be a possibility.  The Bills need to get to the QB.  It doesn't matter if it is from the interior or the edge, they need to get to the QB.  So you bring in the best talent available on the board.  I'm not saying Sweat will be available.  But if he is, take him.  Honestly, I could see Gruden being star struck and the Raiders take Sweat at 4 and that pushes Josh Allen down the board.  Allen could be a  guy available that people thought would be gone.

This is all I would be thinking at 9 unless guys like Allen and Williams somehow fall to that spot.  Otherwise, I would try to leverage someone and move out of the spot.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

If we we go DL, I’m hoping it will be Christian Wilkins.  Really disruptive and versatile, four-year starter (got his degeee in less than three years), recognized as a gym rat and a leader.  Reminds me of a DL version of Tre White coming out of LSU.  Greatly prefer him to Oliver. Wilkins might even be available after a modest trade back.

100% agree. 

9 hours ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

#9 If we stay, then take best available pass rushing DE/DT; Christian Wilkins DT or Ed Oliver DT otherwise slide down... I think that the offensive prospects are a reach in the top 10. Drafting guys later works for me, because I feel confident that our staff can develop defensive players. Screw WR's in round 1 unless they are absolute beasts like Megatron.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

My dream is to trade back and grab an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, then to draft best available TE/OL; T.J. Hockenson TE or CODY FORD OT, then trade up from 2nd round and take someone like Jonah Williams OGI believe that a TE will not be drafted in the top 12.

FYI, I like multiple first rounders to get the extra year on their contracts.

* Free agency gave us extreme flexibility. 

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Pipe dream: After all is said and done we will find a #1 WR in a trade after the draft. I would trade away our 2020 #1 round, #3 round, Shaq Lawson and Levi Wallace for Julio Jones WR. Then extend him for a career ending contract in Buffalo.

Couldnt have put it better myself.

Stay#9: Any of the big 5 that drop (Bosa, Q.will, Allen,Oliver,White), ill even allow TJ

Trade: To anywhere that gets us another 2nd. Talent is deep at DL, and we can get a starter for sure at TE/WR/OL with a heavy preference on OL.  Gimme 3 starters in the first 2 rounds

Edited by BillsMafia13
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Do you (and others) who want us to draft Oliver like him more than Quinnen Williams?

I have not seen enough of Oliver to offer a pertinent opinion but count me as one (perhaps the only one) who does not think it impossible for Quinnen to be there at #9. He does not have a large body of work because he was only a starter for 1 season.

I'm probably wrong but I have a hunch that he will be there if we stand pat at 9.