With all the moves, I'm now conflicted at 9

Virgil

1 minute ago, dje85 said:

I'll make it easier for you. Josh Allen 99% likely  won't be available by our pick. Also, the Bills won't slide Dawkins inside to left guard. I don't get people's obsession with wanting to do this just because some draft analysts and anonymous scouts said he would be god there.

Trade up for Allen.

Dawkins can play Guard, which is also an easier position.  He's good at LT, would probably be better at LG.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

Trade up for Allen.

Dawkins can play Guard, which is also an easier position.  He's good at LT, would probably be better at LG.  

Ah okay well I guess that is a possibility of a trade up. So that is still on the board touche you got me there. 

As for left guard being easier. It really isn't. Yes you have help but most guards don't make good tackles much like most tackles don't end up making good guards. It requires different technical skill sets. I just think tackle is his best position. Yes he had an off year last year but I think he comes into this upcoming season motivated and playing at a high level.

12 minutes ago, Iamkrgr said:

I'm tempted by Hockenson at 9. But I think the smart play is to go with the BPA and I think that'll be on the defensive side. Wilkins or Oliver or Gary. 

2nd round you let the board come to you and see where the better player is. Could a good olineman fall? A good WR?

Beane has balls, if they can grab Oliver at 9 - I wouldn't count out a trade back in for a TE (if the value is right) - the safety valve TE is all we are kinda missing

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've sold myself so hard on Oliver, I'll be disappointed if he isn't available. Perfect fit for this defense 

Have to run to the podium if he is there, if he isn't...hmmm

Biggest difference maker.  Where ever.  I would have hated it a week ago but I'm even ok with corner or linebaker.  9 should net an impact player.  If they dont see one available trade it for one.  

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They certainly have filled many spots thru FA, but as has been pointed out, most contracts can walk away from in 1 to 2 years with little pain.  That being said makes me feel they'll need to fill slots through the draft now so they are ready to be big contributors in 1 to 2 years.  Therefore would rather see them trade down or stay at 9, but not move up.

Moving down a few spots would still let them pick an impact player and potentially get them an extra day two pick.  Given the FA moves to date, I see the biggest needs (not listed in any particular order) remaining as pass rusher, d-tackle, TE, and OT.   A lesser need is to find the future strong side linebacker (Zo's last season).  Given the depth of some of these position groups in the draft, there will be some pretty good players available in the top 100 picks.  I'm sure Beane and Company have thought through all of the various scenarios and have a game plan to deal with them.  I don't like the idea of moving up.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dje85 said:

I'll make it easier for you. Josh Allen 99% likely  won't be available by our pick. Also, the Bills won't slide Dawkins inside to left guard. I don't get people's obsession with wanting to do this just because some draft analysts and anonymous scouts said he would be god there.

That and be played OG at the Senior Bowl, and was named the best OL for the game. He’s also not quite level up to expectations. But I guess nobody did last year on that OL. 

Seems like there's 100% chance a stud likely top 5 overall talent DT falls to 9.. and we haven't made any moves there in FA. 

I don't like to get too invested in the draft and DT's not the sexy pick but I'm all about beefing up the trenches.

I'd be more excited about DK Metcalf but I don't really know anything about him. Kinda feel shades of Dolphins grabbing Ted Ginn Jr at 10 in a class where there was no other real clear top WR talent.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

Hockenson fills two roles, great blocker on the O-line and a  big bodied receiving target for Allen.   We have addressed the other roster needs in free agency well enough that I think we can afford to take a TE at #9. 

The two clearest, most glaring needs on the roster right now are at TE and 3T. 

Adding a young, stud tight end to grow with Josh Allen and a penetrating 3-technique to keep McDermott's defense humming are the two most IMMEDIATE priorities.

Given that Hughes and Lawson are up at the end of this year and the Bills defense was poor at sacking the opposing quarterback in 2018, Edge Rusher is a need as well. It seems like the Bills want to fill this hole in free agency, as well, with the Ansah visit on the way. Tackle is a need, too, but the contract they gave Nsekhe suggest that they think he can start for a year or two if needed.

If they completely don't address DT and TE any further in free agency, I expect those are your likely 1st and 2nd round picks in some order. At DT, I like Ed Oliver and Christian WIlkins. At TE, I obviously love Hockinson, but Irv Smith is a guy I think the Bills may take a long look at. He has familiarity with Daboll, speed to burn, and there's a decent chance he's there in the early 2nd round.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I'm beyond happy with who the Bills have gotten so far and think we've put ourselves in great shape for the draft.  I think they need to roll some money over to re-sign our own guys next year, but I would still like to see them spend a little.  With that, I think there are three positions that can really put us over the top.

1 - OT - There's two guys that could go at 9.  Only one of them is projected to be able to play LT.  If we could get him, kick Dawkins to LG, then the other FA's start, our offensive line would be a force.

2 - Ed Oliver - This one is hard for me as McDermott is heavy on rotation.  But his pass rush ability up the middle (just for your Marsha) would fill out the line nicely

3 - Josh Allen - I wasn't on board before, but I can't help but think about it now.  He's a monster in both pass rush and coverage.  With the QB's heating up, I could see him dropping to 4th or 5th.  That's not a crazy jump forward.  Imagine Allen, Milano, and Edmunds for the next 10 years. 

I wish there were some guys left in FA that could take one of these positions off the board, but there aren't any studs left.  Starters that are serviceable?  Yes.  If the Bills could pull off a trade where they got their edge rusher while keeping the #9, that would be amazing.

I also still want one of the Iowa TE's and Jarek Cook somehow.

Damn this is all exciting.

To remove the certainties and create choices ... to create conflict in the form of freedom to choose ... is precisely what you want FA to do.

I like it too, a lot.

Saying that, though, Josh Allen should be long long gone.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's definitely BPA now with all of the additions. I'm still hoping for Devin White. 

In general, I'm not a fan of drafting LBs that high, but he really does look good. Sure wouldn't be disappointed with him.

• Like (+1) 1

At this point I am cool with whatever. There are no glaring holes. My (realistic) favorite is probably Oliver. I know that other things can happen but he’s a player. He will provide a pass rush from the inside. If you add he and Ansah the Bills are in GREAT shape defensively. They could be a top 5 defense.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Seems like there's 100% chance a stud likely top 5 overall talent DT falls to 9.. and we haven't made any moves there in FA. 

I don't like to get too invested in the draft and DT's not the sexy pick but I'm all about beefing up the trenches.

I'd be more excited about DK Metcalf but I don't really know anything about him. Kinda feel shades of Dolphins grabbing Ted Ginn Jr at 10 in a class where there was no other real clear top WR talent.

I'm gun shy about taking wrs that early ever since Sammy Watkins. I was ecstatic at the time we snagged him even if we had to trade up.  I know one wr fail doesn't mean it will always happen but still makes me gun shy. I'd rather take one of the dts where even if he doesn't ive p to the hype taken at 9 he will likely still play at a decent level and his short comings can be hid in a dt rotation.

7 minutes ago, Rico said:

In general, I'm not a fan of drafting LBs that high, but he really does look good. Sure wouldn't be disappointed with him.

A young Ray Lewis imo. :thumbsup: