What if Metcalf is BPA at draft time?

I think BPA is a little bit of an overused term. I mean, each of these players has a subjective “grade” placed on them. Also, the differences in the subjective grade from one player to another are so small. Furthermore, positional value is important to consider.

So basically any player that you draft you can say is BPA, it really doesn’t mean anything. It’s really just another way to say you are not going to desperately reach for a player because it’s a glaring need.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

First round last year was certainly about athletes with high ceilings. Small sample size, but maybe telling. What would you give for a look at their draft board???

Seeing the board would be interesting, but I would prefer to be in the discussions building it. Just vetting these guys out, what's important to them and what's not. For example, the beginning of last year it seemed Beane was acquiring bigger guys, then admitted speed was really the thing we need. I assume that's mainly Daboll pulling him, but when you look at a guy like DK with both speed and size, put him with a young qb who could get in the habit of throwing that way, that seems to me to be pretty huge. Might be worth the chance to see if he can take all that potential and become a professional football player. If he pans out I would have to think that's our "big" acquisition on offense and pretty much gives us a really good group of wr's. TE in the second, maybe irv smith, and I think the offense will be able to compete.

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Seeing the board would be interesting, but I would prefer to be in the discussions building it. Just vetting these guys out, what's important to them and what's not. For example, the beginning of last year it seemed Beane was acquiring bigger guys, then admitted speed was really the thing we need. I assume that's mainly Daboll pulling him, but when you look at a guy like DK with both speed and size, put him with a young qb who could get in the habit of throwing that way, that seems to me to be pretty huge. Might be worth the chance to see if he can take all that potential and become a professional football player. If he pans out I would have to think that's our "big" acquisition on offense and pretty much gives us a really good group of wr's. TE in the second, maybe irv smith, and I think the offense will be able to compete.

I thought I was greedy to want to see the board! ?

I’d love to see the process from behind the curtain, for sure! I really can’t think of anything in sports that would fascinate me more. 

Having said that, I’d need to watch film I have not seen, and get a good explanation for why DK may look like Tarzan, but has never really accomplished anything of note. That concerns me greatly at #9....or even later. I rule nothing out, but I have serious questions. 

I question your player board if you have Metcalf as BPA at 9. With his injury history and lack of agility showing at the combine, he is not even BPA on my WR board.  No WR this year would be my board at 9. Now a mid to late round 1st would be a different story,  and it wouldn't be Metcalf at WR.

Edited by simpleman