What if Metcalf is BPA at draft time?

If they take Metcalf at 9 then I would see that as a problem with their evaluation system, not their draft philosophy. I have no problem with Beane taking BPA every time, all the time.

i can’t fathom how anyone would arrive at Metcalf being 9th on their overall board though. The guy ran 2 routes in college, basically. There’s something to be said about raw talent/athleticism, which he certainly has, but a top 10 collegiate player? Those guys should have at least some level of polish to their game as well. DK seems lacking there.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, 947 said:

Taking a guy like Metcalf at #9 is exactly what old Bills regimes would've done. We are not that organization anymore. 

I really don't think any team aside from maybe the Raiders values him in the top half of the first round.

I hope you're right, but Beane traded up twice in the 1st for a QB with "scattershot accuracy" and a 257 lb MLB that hits like a creampie and is usually a day late and a dollar short.

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Not unless we trade back. I want a dominating DT to replace Kyle. Also, no to Ziggy. He's WAY overrated by many posters here.

Gotta agree. Going by what they've done so far I see Oliver at 9, a trade up for Hock, Smith or Fant and then best WR or OL after that.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

He's not in the top 9 so he won't be BPA at pick 9.  Frankenstein runs better agility drills.

But Frankenstein can't go deep.

Actually, I think the Bills have done a solid job setting themselves up to take the BPA.... Metcalf probably is not BPA at #9 ... What if Haskins or the Okie QB is BPA @9 and you can't trade back, do you go QB in back to back drafts ?

Give me a guy in the gutter ... OT Taylor or DT Oliver.

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

But Frankenstein can't go deep.

Actually, I think the Bills have done a solid job setting themselves up to take the BPA.... Metcalf probably is not BPA at #9 ... What if Haskins or the Okie QB is BPA @9 and you can't trade back, do you go QB in back to back drafts ?

Give me a guy in the gutter ... OT Taylor or DT Oliver.

...his name is becoming more prevalent in recent mocks for Bflo........

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

He's not in the top 9 so he won't be BPA at pick 9.  Frankenstein runs better agility drills.

I won't be surprised if he trims some time off the low numbers at his pro day. Looks like he had a little trouble with his footing at the combine. 

With the size/speed combo someone will take a chance on him. I would not mind putting him in there with brown and beasley, would could cover the entire field in half the time it would have taken our top three wr's last year. I have a funny feeling Zay is going to look really slow in the preseason games if DK is brought in.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

I'd have him off my board...any dude with that horrible flexibility that he runs in the 2nd and 3rd percentile in 3 cone and short shuttle will have a very short and injury plagued career before he ends up out of the league due to them....dude will be David Boston and be done within 5 years.

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'd have him off my board...any dude with that horrible flexibility that he runs in the 2nd and 3rd percentile in 3 cone and short shuttle will have a very short and injury plagued career before he ends up out of the league due to them....dude will be David Boston and be done within 5 years.

When is his pro day? Maybe he really did slip in one or both agaility drills? Still, I tend to agree, a WR needs better agility than that, not just straight line speed. 

What if BPA available at 9 is a QB, do you take him too?

When was the last time you've heard a team come out after the draft and state, "We didn't get the guy we really wanted, but wer'e happy with who we got instead"  Instead all you ever hear is "he's the guy we wanted all along!"

Likely the difference in grading between the 9th best and maybe the 15th best is so slight, one scout just grading ever so slightly different could probably bump a guy from 15 to 10 in the blink of an eye. Do teams even truly have a definitive order or do they group players together, these are our top 5, then the next five, and so on.  But you'll here he was the BPA whomever it is.

When you get below the 4th round or so, then BPA is more important as at that point,  very little idea anymore if the person will even still be in the league in 3 years.  In the 1st couple of rounds you want someone who'll work out for the team, and also be able to become a major contributor early on.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

When is his pro day? Maybe he really did slip in one or both agaility drills? Still, I tend to agree, a WR needs better agility than that, not just straight line speed. 

You can look at the video yourself, just go under his results and there is the playlist of video's. While he could be a look like tarzan play like jane guy, considering the chances we took last year on physical specimens I won't be surprised if he's the guy.

I'm going to say if he trains for the drill a little more he will also take the time down.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/d.k.-metcalf?id=32194d45-5436-3377-5806-d2746f1b94aa

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

You can look at the video yourself, just go under his results and there is the playlist of video's. While he could be a look like tarzan play like jane guy, considering the chances we took last year on physical specimens I won't be surprised if he's the guy.

I'm going to say if he trains for the drill a little more he will also take the time down.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/d.k.-metcalf?id=32194d45-5436-3377-5806-d2746f1b94aa

First round last year was certainly about athletes with high ceilings. Small sample size, but maybe telling. What would you give for a look at their draft board???