Is it strange no news re: Daryl Williams? (edit: re-up'd w/ Panthers)

eball

1 minute ago, eball said:

Seems as though he was thought of as a pretty hot commodity.  I'm surprised I've heard nary a peep.

I think he's a guy people are going to need to bring in for a physical.  So it makes sense that there is no news during the tampering period, prior to when visits are allowed.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe cuz the whole NFL world can't shut up about OBJ and Bell... I was wondering why I don't tune into the NFL Network like I used to and this morning proved to me why... The table on Good Morning Football talked about OBJ for 2 hours all the way until I had to come to work... With all the moves that were made in the NFL, these fools kept talking about 1 person smh...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

I think he's a guy people are going to need to bring in for a physical.  So it makes sense that there is no news during the tampering period, prior to when visits are allowed.

Just now, aristocrat said:

tough knee injury and i'm sure the docs are gonna want to poke and prod

Exactly.  No one wants to commit money to him during the tampering period if they can get "healthy" guys to commit to signing with them.

3 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Maybe cuz the whole NFL world can't shut up about OBJ and Bell... I was wondering why I don't tune into the NFL Network like I used to and this morning proved to me why... The table on Good Morning Football talked about OBJ for 2 hours all the way until I had to come to work... With all the moves that were made in the NFL, these fools kept talking about 1 person smh...

Last night was hours of it too. No mention of the Bills adding 8 players, just round the clock OBJ trade talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He's among a number of players on which the market has been eerily silent.  Other guys include:

Justin Houston

Bryce Callahan

Ndamukong Suh

Pierre Desir

Jared Cook

Tyler Eifert

I'd still love to add Cook or Eifert, and Houston or Suh.  And Williams and Saffold.  

Getting Eifert could be an incentive-laden deal.  When healthy, he's the best catching TE in the red-zone.  

4 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

the NFL network is now garbage.  There is no place to turn for around-the-league coverage.   Literally, the most interesting thing on the NFL network is the ticker at the bottom telling you the news around the league.  Coverage: limited to splash players for hours on end.  It's like ESPN.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He's among a number of players on which the market has been eerily silent.  Other guys include:

Justin Houston

Bryce Callahan

Ndamukong Suh

Pierre Desir

Jared Cook

Tyler Eifert

Most of those guys are going to be coming off injuries iirc.  They will need to do in person visits for physicals.  It's strange that no visits are being reported though.

1 minute ago, HiddenInLight said:

Most of those guys are going to be coming off injuries iirc.  They will need to do in person visits for physicals.  It's strange that no visits are being reported though.

For Eifert and Callahan, that's most likely true.  I didn't think the others had anything serious going on, but can't remember off the top of my head.

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd still love to add Cook or Eifert, and Houston or Suh.  And Williams and Saffold.  

Getting Eifert could be an incentive-laden deal.  When healthy, he's the best catching TE in the red-zone.  

the NFL network is now garbage.  There is no place to turn for around-the-league coverage.   Literally, the most interesting thing on the NFL network is the ticker at the bottom telling you the news around the league.  Coverage: limited to splash players for hours on end.  It's like ESPN.  

Didn't Saffold sign with TEN?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

FWIW, a tweet popped up on my twitter from The Athletic's CAR correspondent saying he'd guess the NYG.  Pure speculation though...

It's the same rationale behind the supposed Bills interest, in that both GMs are ex Carolina, and both teams have perceived needs there.

Familiarity can play an important part in FA signings - from both sides. It's hardly a stretch to think either team is going to make a play for his services.

I think there have been earlier reports that both teams are interested, and I don't believe they were simply 'joining the dots' reports, but as others have pointed out, there's going to be a definite need to get the injury checked out before committing big bucks, and he's likely to be getting a decent chunk of change thrown at him if the injury checks out.

I echo the sentiment that Williams' injury may have been more serious than many are giving credit for.

I expect him to either re-sign with the Panthers on a 1-year prove-it deal or to sign with the Giants on a 1-year prove-it deal. Either way, I expect that the Bills will not be the team to sign him.