Toronto to Buffalo

BritBill

22 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Which confused me   6 hours to fly?  

Or I'm just being overly thick today...  

I can leave from my home and drive to Henrietta in 6 hours 

there are practically no direct commercial flights between Buffalo and Toronto (I saw none at all, but it may occur on occasion)

so it requires stopovers and is expensive

they screw you coming and going in that flight game...  :(

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Its 100 miles away.  At 65mph.  Huh?

I had a co-worker that had a wife from I

England (I know, low-brow Swindon). 0ne time her family came to visit.  Landed at Chicago O'Hare. First thing they wanted to do:  Drive to DisneyWorld. And two... Were amazed at "How many trees there were in the United States."

Holy Moly do You Brits have any concept of distance?  Wow two extremes there.  100 miles being "too far" and taking a day trip, drive to Orlando, Florida from Illinois. I think my co-worker said: "Do you Blokes take a day trip from London to Rome for a Sunday drive?"

Which of course there are no direct flight.  Most Canadians DRIVE to Niagara Falls airport to catch the routine, daily 2am flight to Fort Canadadale, Florida.

LMAO... Sorry for being so damn snarky.  

its 403 miles from London to Edinburgh, Scotland

its 360 miles from where I live in Northern Va to Webster NY 

concept of distance ?  hardly 

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

its 403 miles from London to Edinburgh, Scotland

its 360 miles from where I live in Northern Va to Webster NY 

concept of distance ?  hardly 

Uh... They were from Swindon.  Not exactly from the House of Windsor.

Oh... My co-worker's house to ORD is about the same distance from Swindon to London.  Heck, it's only 20 miles shorter from BFLo to TO.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/13/2019 at 2:44 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

why don't you want to "rent" a car?   

It gives you so much more freedom than relying on public transportation.  

I think sat behind a wheel being restricted to 65mph will just make me angry like a couple of the replies on here.

In all seriousness, I'll have been travelling all the day the previous day (trains, planes etc) and will be tired. The thought of having to drive while tired in a foreign land, different laws and whatnot just doesn't appeal to me. 

Thank you for all those who took the time to reply.

46 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I think sat behind a wheel being restricted to 65mph will just make me angry like a couple of the replies on here.

In all seriousness, I'll have been travelling all the day the previous day (trains, planes etc) and will be tired. The thought of having to drive while tired in a foreign land, different laws and whatnot just doesn't appeal to me. 

Thank you for all those who took the time to reply.

I get that about being tired.   But verses all the other times indicated....   2 hours of driving and you'll be in a hotel relaxing or sleeping instead of still traveling by bus or train. 

take a nice nap on the flight across the pond.  

DO NOT TAKE A BUS!!!

I did it, twice, because like you I didn't want to drive, and will never do that again. As GBiD noted, at the border, the bus will be pulled over to it's own special area. Your bus will need to wait it's turn to be inspected. Everyone has to get off, with all your luggage, you can not leave anything on board or underneath, and go into a building where each person goes through the usual questions. If the agents have any issue, with any passenger, you are stuck there until either the issue is resolved, or the border agent releases the bus without the person that goes in the back for additional questioning. 

What would normally take about 3 minutes by car (being questioned once I reached the customs booth), took me 45 minutes going into Canada, 3 hours going back into the US. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

DO NOT TAKE A BUS!!!

I did it, twice, because like you I didn't want to drive, and will never do that again. As GBiD noted, at the border, the bus will be pulled over to it's own special area. Your bus will need to wait it's turn to be inspected. Everyone has to get off, with all your luggage, you can not leave anything on board or underneath, and go into a building where each person goes through the usual questions. If the agents have any issue, with any passenger, you are stuck there until either the issue is resolved, or the border agent releases the bus without the person that goes in the back for additional questioning. 

What would normally take about 3 minutes by car (being questioned once I reached the customs booth), took me 45 minutes going into Canada, 3 hours going back into the US. 

So when did they let you out of jail ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Several years ago, while living in Seattle, my Grandmother passed away, in Buffalo.  I decided not to take the normal connection thru O'Hare but to take Air Canada non-stop Seattle-Toronto.  Got to Toronto, in the middle of the SARS virus scare.  Everyone was wearing surgical masks.  Afraid to even touch a door to open it.  Got my rental car, as we were leaving the garage, I realized that the speedometer had the small numbers for KPH, I'm 6'1, so i lowered the steering wheel to better see the little numbers.  Got to the QEW, everything OK till Burlington, then we're stopped in bumper to bumper traffic.  While we're stopped, some hoser rams into the back of our rental car.  That drove us into the back of a van in front of us.  PERFECT!!  Our air bags deployed, my wife thought we were on fire, because of smoke.  I told her NOT to get out.  The "smoke" was residual accelerent powder from the airbags.  Smelled pretty bad too!  Because I had lowered the steering wheel, the airbag didn't hit my face, but I took it full force across my chest.  Felt like a huge hard hand slap.  My wife, got a bruise where her seat belt buckled.  The OPP pointed out that the rear bumper of our car had a mirror image of the license plate from front bumper from the Bozo who hit us.i  My lasting regret is that I didn't demand a blood/alcohol test for the hoser.  But, it was Canada, and I didn't know what my "rights" may be, and we still had to get to Buffalo.  We stood at the side of the QEW for 2-3 hours till a replacement rental car showed up.  Our rental was totaled, damage to both ends.  Our windshield broke, from the inside, where the little airbag door drove itself into the glass.  Got sued by the *****'s in the van for $2 mil.  The insurance company said we were "the meat in the accident sandwich,"  and not to worry.   They wanted to bring me back to Toronto, for a deposition, till they found out how much it would cost to get us there/back.  That was the end of that ordeal.  We rented the car because, at that time, there were no flights from Toronto to Buffalo.  Looks like that's true today too! 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

It wasn’t me. 

Only bonus to sitting at the border waiting, was getting to see border agents swarm this one car, guns drawn, and haul the two women out of it. 

Back in the70s my dad worked or a trucking company that hauled meat  like sides of beef etc. They had to go down to the Peace Bridge   to transfer a load from a Canadian truck to one of theirs.  Thet got it  almost done and the customs inspector examines it and sees something wrong with the paperwork.  He starts questioning each laborer  which took about 2-3 hours, until a boss came to straighten it out.  Customs put a seal on the truck  with had to be removed by customs in NYC, which is where the load was headed.

4 hours ago, mead107 said:

We saw him at the Opener. Maybe that was before his smackdown @ the border?

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

I've probably spent about 2 years in total time in the US so far, not a second was spent forgetting I was in a foreign country, no matter how similar we are.

Same here in Canada.  The metric system has a funny way of reminding people they aren't in Kansas anymore.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was back during the Toronto series, whenever that first game was  I remember it was preseason. I wanted to avoid finding parking in Toronto on a game day and rush hour so thought a bus from Buffalo would be easier. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Same here in Canada.  The metric system has a funny way of reminding people they aren't in Kansas anymore.

after a US trip i forgot to change back to km and found myself going 100 miles per hour on the 401 for a minute before realizing it was way too fast.

for once i wasn't getting passed with the occupants of the other car giving me the finger

• Haha (+1) 2