Key word for in Bills Free Agent additions: Flexibility

Logic

With the caveat that free agency obviously isn't over yet and there will likely be at least a couple more signings...

The word that keeps coming to mind regarding the Bills free agent signing is Flexibility.

First, it should be noted that Beane front loaded most of these contracts, such that if any of them don't work out the way the Bills hope, they can easily move on after year 1 or 2. None of the moves thus far should hamstring the Bills long term. It should also contribute to the Bills being in the top three for cap space available NEXT offseason. In this way, the moves provide the Bills FINANCIAL flexibility.

Second, many of the moves provide the Bills ROSTER flexibility in terms of how the players fit in and how they affect the draft. Long, Feliciano, and Nsekhe could all win starting jobs on the offensive line. On the other hand, none of them carry such a high cap number that it will prevent the Bills from drafting players at guard and tackle. As such, if the free agent signees DON'T win starting jobs, they will provide versatile and experienced depth. Long has played both center and guard, Feliciano has played all three interior positions, and Nsekhe has played everywhere but center. The Bills could even theoretically move Dawkins to LG and start Nsekhe at LT.  Furthermore, the additions at WR and TE mean that while a drafted player at those positions remains desirable, it is no longer an emergent need.

Not only did the Bills add players that will immediately help their roster, they did so in a way that provides both financial and positional flexibility going forward, as well as allowing them to truly draft the best player available in all 10 rounds come April. For these reasons, I think the Bills absolutely knocked it out of the park in free agency this year. Beane stayed true to his word, filling holes, acquiring players that fit the Bills culture, and maintaining flexibility and financial solvency moving forward. A++

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

100% Agreed.

We won't get the headlines the Jets or Browns get (and the Browns knocked it out of the park), but we might be right up there with Cleveland's offseason when you take into account how quickly Beane elevated the talent level on this team. 

We're looking at a potentially elite defense if certain, somewhat suspected moves, are made, along with an offense that should provide Josh Allen all the tools he needs to make a Trubisky-like jump.

• Like (+1) 2

I think flexibility is one of McDermott's favorite traits in players, knowing that they can play multiple positions or in multiple phases of the game is something that he holds in high regard. 

I am ecstatic about the Morse signing, the others may not be headline news but compared to what the Bills fielded in 2018-2019 on the offensive side of the ball, the signings are definitely improvements. 

And I really like the way Beane has structured some of these deals with easy outs after year 1 or 2, and giving Buffalo flexibility in future off seasons. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm fine with not getting the headlines. I'm confident with the way this team is being built that the National Media attention will come. I'm predicting a playoff birth this year and being a legitimate contender in 2020. 

Like a Browns fan said on Twitter this morning: 2020 AFC Championship Game - Bills vs Browns, the Battle for Lake Erie.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks, Logic, especially on the cap analysis.  

I don't know oline talent, but it looks like only Morse is a sure fire starter.  Maybe there's a second starter in the geoup, and as far as I'm concerned that's more than enough, provided they use a high draft pick for an online guy too.  

There will be plenty of competition in camp.  

Although I expected more youth, Gore and Beasley will be great leaders. They're McD style players through and through. And Brown should be a great fit. 

I continue to be really impressed by Beane.  

• Like (+1) 2

Many writers and insiders have already stated the nature of these contracts and what you've posted here. 

The Bills are on paper better than last year and have set themselves up to go BPA in the draft. That's what their stated intention was.

I still wonder whether or not they can make the leap from being a 6 to 11 win team and challenging for the division. Much of that still rests with the QB who has shown glimpses.

Regardless of the contract specifics, it shapes up to be a deeper team that gives Allen the opportunity to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Wouldn't that be something. Of course the game would be played in Buffalo ?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Like a Browns fan said on Twitter this morning: 2020 AFC Championship Game - Bills vs Browns, the Battle for Lake Erie.

I hate to say it, but the 6-3 stinker games always come to mind when I hear Bills/Browns.  got to get that outta my head!!!

I like the FA approach so far for the reasons mentioned in the OP.   

It will be interesting to see if targeting "strong complimentary" type players coming off their first contract rather than marquee/high price "I've heard of him!" guys will be a winning approach.     The Pats have perfected this model but Brady the GOAT makes its replicability to other franchises a tough thing to judge.     

At some point, "stars" make the difference between SB winners and first round playoff losers.    Right now, that's not something to worry about as a first round playoff loss would be a big achievement in and of itself for the Bills...

18 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I hate to say it, but the 6-3 stinker games always come to mind when I hear Bills/Browns.  got to get that outta my head!!!

I attended that game. And it was awful! And those lovely Browns fans decided to throw snowballs at a pack of Bills fans leaving the stadium. Keep it classy, Cleveland! 

1 minute ago, JPL7 said:

I attended that game. And it was awful! And those lovely Browns fans decided to throw snowballs at a pack of Bills fans leaving the stadium. Keep it classy, Cleveland! 

I also attended that game. I expect it will stand forever as the worst sporting event I ever attend. Just putrid.

• Like (+1) 1