Who gets cut when these signings become official

Is Conor McDermott still on the team so that after hours our coach can look at a uniform with his name on the back & dream he's a player?  I can't think of any other reason he's still on the team.  

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Groy and Miller are my top two candidates after Geoff Bodine.  Teller and Boettger outplayed them.

Groy & Miller are already gone. 

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Is Conor McDermott still on the team so that after hours our coach can look at a uniform with his name on the back & dream he's a player?  I can't think of any other reason he's still on the team.  

Groy & Miller are already gone. 

So I was right!  I missed that they were gone, my apologies.

51 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I am. You can probably add Murphy to that list too if they sign Ansah. 

Zero chance they cut Murphy. He is the only DE under contract post this season. Way too risky. Maybe post 2020 free agency, but not this year

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Thats a good point - people we sign/existing players can get injured in camp and we bring 90 anyway.  These are the only notable things, and i have no idea when or what triggers it.

Bodine - 200k workout bonus
Ivory - 250k workout bonus

Dimarco - 50k workout bonus

Yeah that is the ONLY reason to cut players now if there is:

An option Due

A Guaranteed Trigger Due

Or team is Cap tight.

If one of those three dont exist keep players on you roster.  Never know what could happen.  IE 

Maybe Bodine fetches a 4th during the draft as teams miss on centers

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

An option Due

A Guaranteed Trigger Due

Or team is Cap tight.

If one of those three dont exist keep players on you roster.  Never know what could happen.  IE 

Agreed -  during or after the draft if they have a chance to move an Olineman and have a replacement - I could see a trade, but for now I do not see a reason to move or cut anyone.

You have a starting Center in Morse with Bodine and Long to back up.

You have multiple guards/tackles to allow you to find the best 5 at their best position and move forward from there and now there is depth and flexibility.  

Then you have the draft for new young talent to fit in.

Edited by Rochesterfan

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

An option Due

A Guaranteed Trigger Due

Or team is Cap tight.

Another reason is you have no plan to keep him on the team & instead of bringing him to camp as a body, you let him go to a team that he has a chance of making.  If you treat players like numbers instead of human beings you get a bad reputation among the players which isn't good for free agency.  Players talk among themselves all the time & when coaches & GMs start lying to them they spread the word quickly.  In the past Donahoe & Whaley got some bad words passed around by Steve Christie & Fred Jackson for playing games with their lives.  Yes it's a business, but you can't be screwing your employees and think it won't hurt you somewhere down the line.  

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Another reason is you have no plan to keep him on the team & instead of bringing him to camp as a body, you let him go to a team that he has a chance of making.  If you treat players like numbers instead of human beings you get a bad reputation among the players which isn't good for free agency.  Players talk among themselves all the time & when coaches & GMs start lying to them they spread the word quickly.  In the past Donahoe & Whaley got some bad words passed around by Steve Christie & Fred Jackson for playing games with their lives.  Yes it's a business, but you can't be screwing your employees and think it won't hurt you somewhere down the line.  

That is what the cuts like Clay are for.  

Bodine, et al at this point can outplay other depth and hence stick.  There is really only ONE OL contract that is a starting contract and that is Morse.  the other contracts are competition contracts.  

No one gets cut yet because they wont have to. IIRC, rosters expand in the offseason so there shouldn't be a need to cut someone to fit these guys in. Unless they want to give someone the chance to sign on elsewhere, or already know they have no chance to make the team, theres jo reason to get rid of anyone.

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm keeping both Bodine and Murphy for depth, regardless of the rest of FA and the draft.  Unless we draft a top center or edge and can trade Bodine or Murphy for something.  

They will add a PR before the summer and I don't see Lawson ending up that deep in depth,this is the last yr of his contract,so he'll be hungry, I see Murphy as the odd man out..jmo...not sure about cap savings on him.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Do any players have an option coming due or a guarantee trigger in the next couple days?

If the answer to that is NO.  Then why cut anyone.  we are not in the need for space yet and can keep shopping easily if wanted.

Year Date Player Team Trigger Base Salary Roster Bonus
2019 March 17 Micah Hyde Bills $500,000 roster bonus is due $3,950,000 $500,000
2019 March 17 Jordan Poyer Bills $150,000 roster bonus is due $2,950,000 $150,000
2019 March 17 Stephen Hauschka Bills $250,000 roster bonus is due $2,000,000 $250,000
2019 March 17 Star Lotulelei Bills $5.15 million of base salary becomes guaranteed $7,150,000 $1,000,000
2019 March 17 Star Lotulelei Bills $1M roster bonus due $7,150,000 $1,000,000
2019 March 17 Trent Murphy Bills $2.5M of base salary becomes guaranteed $5,800,000 $500,000
2019 March 17 Trent Murphy Bills $500,000 5th day of league year roster bonus due $5,800,000 $500,000

4 minutes ago, Tuco said:
Year Date Player Team Trigger Base Salary Roster Bonus
2019 March 17 Micah Hyde Bills $500,000 roster bonus is due $3,950,000 $500,000
2019 March 17 Jordan Poyer Bills $150,000 roster bonus is due $2,950,000 $150,000
2019 March 17 Stephen Hauschka Bills $250,000 roster bonus is due $2,000,000 $250,000
2019 March 17 Star Lotulelei Bills $5.15 million of base salary becomes guaranteed $7,150,000 $1,000,000
2019 March 17 Star Lotulelei Bills $1M roster bonus due $7,150,000 $1,000,000
2019 March 17 Trent Murphy Bills $2.5M of base salary becomes guaranteed $5,800,000 $500,000
2019 March 17 Trent Murphy Bills $500,000 5th day of league year roster bonus due $5,800,000 $500,000

So based on that I dont see any need cuts.

However Trent Murphy is interesting if another DE is signed or traded for would save 5.2M

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1