MLB viewing for 2019 (intended)

row_33

38 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

You wouldn't say that if it's a Good Humor ice cream inning on SNY. Nobody can figure out how the cute little dalmatian gets on top of the ice cream truck..Keith gets happy because he gets a free treat ??

On a serious note...I like when the Cubs go to the booth to interview who's singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame....and then,of course...they show the person singing the song during the stretch.

the homeliness and small insider banter of local telecasts warms the cockles of my heart

Ron and Gary mocking Keith's 200th commitment to shedding 10 pounds is always welcome, with a new King Cone dispenser in the press room.

i go back to Harry Caray doing the 7th inning stretch with the White Sox, somehow the AM station came through to Southern Ontario, Harry and Jimmy Piersall were amazing to listen to.  During a bad game Harry would let Jim carp on and on about how the whole franchise blows, then ask about Jim's recent dates.  I swear JP called a woman a very very bad word one night, leading to him being away for 10 days. Jimmy had issues...

The NFL suffers from giving us only national TV broadcasters for games, they have no clue about the teams outside of 3 questions asked of the GMs as research for the game.

Moving this into baseball is terrible, especially acting like I care about a double in the Seattle/Twins game, cutting into live action in the Yankees game.

Nobody cares, ESPN.....  i know you've mortgaged 20 years of your company into making MLB regular season an exciting new mass movement...

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the homeliness and small insider banter of local telecasts warms the cockles of my heart

Ron and Gary mocking Keith's 200th commitment to shedding 10 pounds is always welcome, with a new King Cone dispenser in the press room.

i go back to Harry Caray doing the 7th inning stretch with the White Sox, somehow the AM station came through to Southern Ontario, Harry and Jimmy Piersall were amazing to listen to.  During a bad game Harry would let Jim carp on and on about how the whole franchise blows, then ask about Jim's recent dates.  I swear JP called a woman a very very bad word one night, leading to him being away for 10 days. Jimmy had issues...

If you like the home town feel to a broadcast...when you have the time this year,listen to Marty Brennaman on the Reds broadcasts...his last year,much like Blass with the Pirates....he can write a book on the air..much like Vin Scully did.

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

And..I'm sure your small transistor radio picked up Jack Buck on KMOX in the 70's.Ernie Harwell on WJR ? from Detroit. Those small radios really served a purpose for us.

Edited by Misterbluesky

Before the season ends...MLBN or ESPN should have a national telecast with ONLY Brennaman and Blass calling the game.No commercials.

Talk about getting entertained.

Steve-"up until the 40's, outfielders shared their mits with the opposing teams"

Marty-"yes,because of the war,we had soup kitchens instead of mit makers"

Steve-"I need to tell you a story about my grandfather...... "

18 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

And..I'm sure your small transistor radio picked up Jack Buck on KMOX in the 70's.Ernie Harwell on WJR ? from Detroit. Those small radios really served a purpose for us.

oh yes, KMOX came through loud and clear, and Ernie was required listening for the massive rivalry with the Jays in the 80s.

now i can barely get local stations on AM but Boston comes through fine in the day time

18 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Before the season ends...MLBN or ESPN should have a national telecast with ONLY Brennaman and Blass calling the game.No commercials.

Talk about getting entertained.

Steve-"up until the 40's, outfielders shared their mits with the opposing teams"

Marty-"yes,because of the war,we had soup kitchens instead of mit makers"

Steve-"I need to tell you a story about my grandfather...... "

i could deal with Brennaman and Blass as fulltime national ESPNers.

• Like (+1) 1

------------------------

Yankees and Pale Hose weekend series, always preferred the South Siders to the Wrigley franchise, for watching and listening and attending games.

Both WGN and WPIX are carrying tonight's game, will watch the Yankees is O'Neill or Singleton are working it, otherwise Stoney and memories of Harry/Piersall/Hawk...

I'm all for bashing the ESPN Sunday night broadcasts, but tonight they had Henry Aaron in the booth. I missed all but the end when he was asked about the toughest pitcher he faced. Stan Williams. I know the name, had the baseball card but other than that he's a nobody to me. Wish I'd heard more from Hammerin' Hank tonight.

36 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm all for bashing the ESPN Sunday night broadcasts, but tonight they had Henry Aaron in the booth. I missed all but the end when he was asked about the toughest pitcher he faced. Stan Williams. I know the name, had the baseball card but other than that he's a nobody to me. Wish I'd heard more from Hammerin' Hank tonight.

Much like "The King and His Court " 4 man fast pitch softball team,the Indianapolis Clowns after the ***** league days traveled around the country and would pound the daylights out of minor league teams....exhibition games,of course.They traveled in small school buses...with clown faces and multi colored ballons glaring out of the white painted buses.The team was a not all black at that time.It might have been..late 70's when the Bisons still played at War Memorial that I saw them beat the then double AA team.

Edited by Misterbluesky

19 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

sorry i missed it, he doesn't make a lot of appearances, nor does Willie Mays....  :(

• 3 weeks later...

Creative modern broadcasting.

Somewhere around the 14th inning, the Mets broadcast zoomed in on a white bucket in the Brewers bullpen labeled 'JJ's Secret Stash'. The back story was that it contained grape bubble gum for Jeremy Jeffress.

Mets announcers challenged their stadium reporter Steve Gelbs to bring them some gum from the secret stash.

A few innings later they show footage of a Brewers catcher collecting grape gum (but not from JJ's secret stash) into cups that he tosses up to Gelbs.  Gelbs delivers the gum to the booth and they have a laugh that it didn't come from JJ's bucket..  

On 5/5/2019 at 12:32 AM, SinceThe70s said:

Creative modern broadcasting.

Somewhere around the 14th inning, the Mets broadcast zoomed in on a white bucket in the Brewers bullpen labeled 'JJ's Secret Stash'. The back story was that it contained grape bubble gum for Jeremy Jeffress.

Mets announcers challenged their stadium reporter Steve Gelbs to bring them some gum from the secret stash.

A few innings later they show footage of a Brewers catcher collecting grape gum (but not from JJ's secret stash) into cups that he tosses up to Gelbs.  Gelbs delivers the gum to the booth and they have a laugh that it didn't come from JJ's bucket..  

good stuff

enjoyed the DBacks TV crew for a game on the weekend with Berthiaume and Bob Brenly

alive and informative without being too much

and also good to watch a Padres game with Orsillo, as they FINALLY got that miserable and horrible hack Dick Enberg out of the chair

so i'm getting into the season and see the Yankees have about 80% of their roster on IL but still are doing just fine, not sure if both stories are equally sad...

Edited by row_33

Mets up 11-2 and Gary and Keith go to one of my favorites - the box of baseball cards comes out. 

First one Gary pulls is Manny Mota.

As I type Keith is extolling the virtues of Clay Carroll.

EDIT: a bonus mention of Bernie Carbo

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets up 11-2 and Gary and Keith go to one of my favorites - the box of baseball cards comes out. 

First one Gary pulls is Manny Mota.

As I type Keith is extolling the virtues of Clay Carroll.

EDIT: a bonus mention of Bernie Carbo

Keith is throwing them out of the booth and Gary just gave a little guy a full deck.

Gotta love it..

"Don't go play on the freeway with them"...leave it up to Keith to tell a kid that.

Edited by Misterbluesky
  • Like (+1) 1

i've settled with White Sox games for the AL, i like Stone and Benetti as announcers, and getting away from the circus that is the AL East is stress-reducing and makes the game enjoyable again

and will watch Clayton and Thor and other aces for NL games.

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i've settled with White Sox games for the AL, i like Stone and Benetti as announcers, and getting away from the circus that is the AL East is stress-reducing and makes the game enjoyable again

and will watch Clayton and Thor and other aces for NL games.

I watched the rain soaked NESN(mariners/sox) game yesterday..thick accents on those fellas.At 4,I moved over to Underwood and "Archie" for the Indians/A's....business as usual in Oakland...blue skies and 10k in that old,urine smelling Coliseum.They still don't have plans for a new one..what a shame.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Messed up and got the Tigers feed instead of  the White Sox for a game last week.

first time hearing Kirk Gibson on the crew while he is battling Parkinsons. Not sure I could listen to this on a daily basis, even with best wishes and thoughts...

• 4 weeks later...