Bills Starters Through Draft

corta765

So this week Peter King had a superb part in his column about how typically the most successful teams in football are made through the draft and how the guys drafted the previous 3-7 years should be the core you want moving forward. Non-surprisingly the most successful teams like the Eagles, Seahawks, Steelers, Patriots etc... have almost half their starters being guys in that window. Overall its a pretty big point in the NFL that being able to draft a strong team is the main key to success in the NFL. So using that as a barometer lets see how many of this years Bills starters are guy drafted:

Offense:

QB Josh Allen

LT Dion Dawkins

G Wyatt Teller

Defense

DE Shaq Lawson

DT Harrison Phillips

LB Tremaine Edmunds

LB Matt Milano

CB Tre White

CB Levi Wallace/Taron Johnson (Figure Kevin Jackson takes either CB2 or Slot and one of these two take the other)

Overall the Bills should have 9 true starters that were drafted by the team heading into the season. Depending on how the draft goes you could add that another starter if they add a DL/DE or WR/TE. The good news is the defense has at least two guys who are already at Pro Bowl caliber level playing with Milano and White, hopefully the offense can add Allen and another starter or two there for the long term. So how does this compare to lets say the Jets who are trying to rebuild and an established successful team like the Eagles:

Jets  9 starters

Offense: QB Darnold, WR Anderson, WR Enunwa, TE Tomlinson, OT Brandon Shell, G Brian Winters

Defense: SS Jamal Adams, FS Marcus Maye, DE Nathan Shepherd 

Eagles  9 starters

Offense: QB Wentz, WR Agholor, TE Zach Ertz, OG Issac Semulo, C Jason Kelce, RT Lane Johnson

Defense: DT Brandon Graham, DT Fletcher Cox, CB Jalen Mills

Overall things look pretty even before the upcoming draft. The Jets did not lose any drafted starters of significance, but the Eagles did lose Jordan Hicks who was a starting LB for them. The big difference between the Bills/Jets and the Eagles is the how established and good some of the Eagles starters are. Not only do the Eagles have Wentz who is a Pro Bowl caliber player but Ertz, Kelce, Johnson, Graham, and Cox are all super established good or great players. I think for the Bills and Jets to succeed, after hitting on their QBs they both will need to see some of the OL/DL guys become good starters and at least one skill position player like the Eagles have in Ertz become a great player.

I hope this was a cool look at building a roster and I look forward to reading your comments.

17 minutes ago, alton said:

Shouldn't Zay Jones be on the list?

Yes.  According to https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneZa00.htm he started 15 games last season.

17 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Harrison Phillips isn’t a starter and won’t be this year most likely 

Pro Football Reference shows he started 0 games last season.  While he may be a starter this year, he really should not be on the OP list imo.

I don't see Teller, Zay, or Harrison Phillips being starters this year, even if we don't add anybody else at their positions. They're all solid depth players, and that's good teams need. Our backups last year were mostly pretty bad, this a major improvement.

With Beasley joining, I think Zay has a chance of being traded or cut.  I anticipate the receivers to be:

Beasley

Brown

Foster

McKenzie (primarily for ST)

Jones

Williams (if they carry 6)

Jones has a lot of value in the trade market and if Williams is halfway decent and pending what they do in the draft, Jones becomes expendable very quickly.  

• Like (+1) 2

It’s difficult to really evaluate the Bills using the 3-7 year metric since they cleaned the house of Whaley’s picks almost entirely. Give the regime at least 2 more years of drafting and I think they will look very good by his standard. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Coach55 said:

With Beasley joining, I think Zay has a chance of being traded or cut.  I anticipate the receivers to be:

Beasley

Brown

Foster

McKenzie (primarily for ST)

Jones

Williams (if they carry 6)

Jones has a lot of value in the trade market and if Williams is halfway decent and pending what they do in the draft, Jones becomes expendable very quickly.  

Yea I think people are underestimating how on the fence Zay is. He was decent last year, but after his drop in Miami he seemed to again regress like he did after the Carolina drop for a few games. If they actually drafted Metcalf or even a guy like Marquise Brown in the 2nd round I think Zay very much is a cut or trade candidate.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:55 AM, CaptnCoke11 said:

Harrison Phillips isn’t a starter and won’t be this year most likely 

Kinda of a moot point in a D line rotation.  I think the only think having a high number of your drafted players as quality starters accomplishes is creating sustained success because it keeps the CAP figure down.

I think having it that way says as much about player developement as it does the ability to draft.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

On 3/13/2019 at 9:33 AM, corta765 said:

So this week Peter King had a superb part in his column about how typically the most successful teams in football are made through the draft and how the guys drafted the previous 3-7 years should be the core you want moving forward. Non-surprisingly the most successful teams like the Eagles, Seahawks, Steelers, Patriots etc... have almost half their starters being guys in that window. Overall its a pretty big point in the NFL that being able to draft a strong team is the main key to success in the NFL. So using that as a barometer lets see how many of this years Bills starters are guy drafted:

Offense:

QB Josh Allen

LT Dion Dawkins

G Wyatt Teller

WR Robert Foster

Defense

DE Shaq Lawson

DT Harrison Phillips

LB Tremaine Edmunds

LB Matt Milano

CB Tre White

CB Levi Wallace

NCB Taron Johnson

Overall the Bills should have 11 true starters that were drafted by the team heading into the season. Depending on how the draft goes you could add that another starter if they add a DL/DE or WR/TE. The good news is the defense has at least two guys who are already at Pro Bowl caliber level playing with Milano and White, hopefully the offense can add Allen and another starter or two there for the long term. So how does this compare to lets say the Jets who are trying to rebuild and an established successful team like the Eagles:

Jets  9 starters

Offense: QB Darnold, WR Anderson, WR Enunwa, TE Tomlinson, OT Brandon Shell, G Brian Winters

Defense: SS Jamal Adams, FS Marcus Maye, DE Nathan Shepherd 

Eagles  9 starters

Offense: QB Wentz, WR Agholor, TE Zach Ertz, OG Issac Semulo, C Jason Kelce, RT Lane Johnson

Defense: DT Brandon Graham, DT Fletcher Cox, CB Jalen Mills

Overall things look pretty even before the upcoming draft. The Jets did not lose any drafted starters of significance, but the Eagles did lose Jordan Hicks who was a starting LB for them. The big difference between the Bills/Jets and the Eagles is the how established and good some of the Eagles starters are. Not only do the Eagles have Wentz who is a Pro Bowl caliber player but Ertz, Kelce, Johnson, Graham, and Cox are all super established good or great players. I think for the Bills and Jets to succeed, after hitting on their QBs they both will need to see some of the OL/DL guys become good starters and at least one skill position player like the Eagles have in Ertz become a great player.

I hope this was a cool look at building a roster and I look forward to reading your comments.

Fixed it for you.

Kevin Johnson is going to create great depth.  He isnt going to beat out Wallace for a starting CB spot and not all players can play that nickle spot, Taron definitely can.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

I think you have to count Undrafted Free Agents as well, so Foster and Wallace shold be added and unless they cut Zay you definitly have to add him. Croom I´m not sure how we got him, but I think he was also Undrafted FA. 

21 hours ago, TPS said:

It’s difficult to really evaluate the Bills using the 3-7 year metric since they cleaned the house of Whaley’s picks almost entirely. Give the regime at least 2 more years of drafting and I think they will look very good by his standard. 

Yeah, really.  There's a reason why they cleaned house.  Aren't there only a few guys still on the roster from before McD and Beane arrived?  I dare say that two years from now the Bills will be damn near the top of the "drafted players starting" list.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yeah, really.  There's a reason why they cleaned house.  Aren't there only a few guys still on the roster from before McD and Beane arrived?  I dare say that two years from now the Bills will be damn near the top of the "drafted players starting" list.

It was not a criticism that they do not have many 3-7 years players more a barometer for the group they are building long term.