Jets getting better is ultimately good for the Bills

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I was bummed to see Bell sign with the Jets last night, but after thinking about it a little bit, I think on the whole a competitive Jets team is good for us.  This has been the Patriot's division for 17 years and a large part of their success has been playing the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins twice a season, every season.  Playing in this milquetoast division filled with three dysfunctional franchises has been one of the main factors in their dynasty.

The last season the Patriots had less than double digit regular season wins was in 2002.  Since then they have only had two seasons with less than 11 wins.  Not only do they waltz into the playoffs every year, but with their fat regular season record from dominating the AFC East, they usually have home field advantage too.  

For the Bills to finally be contenders, the Patriots can no longer dominate the division.  The Patriots need to start losing division games and winning the AFC East needs to become competitive again, not just a foregone conclusion.  That's why it's good for the Jets to get better too, not just the Bills.  Instead of the Patriots going 6-0 in division games, or having that one fluke loss and going 5-1 in the division, the Patriots need to start going 3-3 in the division playing tough Bills and Jets squads and suddenly the division is up for grabs again.  Being able to have playoff games in Orchard Park would be huge.  For way too long the road to the playoffs has gone through Foxborough

The Patriots dynasty can't end soon enough and a competitive Jets team is an important part of that.  We need to have the AFC East become a normal football division again, with multiple competitive teams and the title up for grabs at every season opener, not this dysfunctional division of the Patriots and the Three Dwarves.  It goes without saying that the Bills need to finally take that next step and become competitive, but the Jets need to become competitive too.

In the big picture, I think the Jets getting better is more of a plus than a minus for our division and the Bills.

The word of the day is, "milquetoast".

I admit, I had to look it up.

• Haha (+1) 1

Jets literally still have zero pass rush and a terrible ol , according to their fans. They should get better with Bell/Mosley but they have tons of holes , way more than But had entering FA . 30th ranked D , also lost 2/3 starting CB in Skrine and Claiborne, Jet Nation wants their GM gone . I do like their young wr Corp , Enuwa and Anderson.  

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

I don’t follow the logic here. If Josh Allen ends up being a good QB, and the Bills stop being a doormat for NE, why would we want the Jets to be good? How does the Jets being good benefit the Bills? Either the Bills right the ship after two decades of suck our we continue on the cruise.

It helps because the Pats may not sweep the Jets every year and that eats away at their win total. It only helps theoretically because if they can beat the Pats, they can beat us. So IMO it's a wash.

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

It helps because the Pats may not sweep the Jets every year and that eats away at their win total. It only helps theoretically because if they can beat the Pats, they can beat us. So IMO it's a wash.

I see that point but think that if we improved and the Jets and Fins are still doormats that it would result in maybe a wildcard bid coming out of our division every year.

Either way, all that really matters is Allen turning into a solid QB and the Bills becoming good/relevant again.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I was bummed to see Bell sign with the Jets last night, but after thinking about it a little bit, I think on the whole a competitive Jets team is good for us.  This has been the Patriot's division for 17 years and a large part of their success has been playing the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins twice a season, every season.  Playing in this milquetoast division filled with three dysfunctional franchises has been one of the main factors in their dynasty.

The last season the Patriots had less than double digit regular season wins was in 2002.  Since then they have only had two seasons with less than 11 wins.  Not only do they waltz into the playoffs every year, but with their fat regular season record from dominating the AFC East, they usually have home field advantage too.  

For the Bills to finally be contenders, the Patriots can no longer dominate the division.  The Patriots need to start losing division games and winning the AFC East needs to become competitive again, not just a foregone conclusion.  That's why it's good for the Jets to get better too, not just the Bills.  Instead of the Patriots going 6-0 in division games, or having that one fluke loss and going 5-1 in the division, the Patriots need to start going 3-3 in the division playing tough Bills and Jets squads and suddenly the division is up for grabs again.  Being able to have playoff games in Orchard Park would be huge.  For way too long the road to the playoffs has gone through Foxborough

The Patriots dynasty can't end soon enough and a competitive Jets team is an important part of that.  We need to have the AFC East become a normal football division again, with multiple competitive teams and the title up for grabs at every season opener, not this dysfunctional division of the Patriots and the Three Dwarves.  It goes without saying that the Bills need to finally take that next step and become competitive, but the Jets need to become competitive too.

In the big picture, I think the Jets getting better is more of a plus than a minus for our division and the Bills.

I wouldn't say the Jets got better... they're O-Line is still in shambles. Bell & Darnold are going to have a hard time playing behind that line. 

I get it tho... I think right now, they're where the Bill's are at. I think if we can add a stud WR at 9. That will set us up big time to contend. 

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I see that point but think that if we improved and the Jets and Fins are still doormats that it would result in maybe a wildcard bid coming out of our division every year.

Either way, all that really matters is Allen turning into a solid QB and the Bills becoming good/relevant again.

this is it.  the bills needed to improve the ol and wr...which it seems they have.  now it's on allen.

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

I don’t follow the logic here. If Josh Allen ends up being a good QB, and the Bills stop being a doormat for NE, why would we want the Jets to be good? How does the Jets being good benefit the Bills? Either the Bills right the ship after two decades of suck our we continue on the cruise.

I think it is because we are not there yet.

If we are good but not the dominant team of the AFCE we need another good team to help prevent NE to win 5 or 6 games inside the division. 

I understand the OP Sentiment, and agree.

Miami, NY and Buffalo are fighting an ogre in New England.

The enemy of my enemy is a friend.

Let's go crazy with it all.

What if AZ is open to a trade for Josh Rosen?

What if that trade is to Miami?!?! Miami needs a young QB. They are moving on from Tannehill and they choose to go to Rosen?

The AFC East would be:

Patriots: Brady

Jets: Darnold

Bills: Allen

Dolphins: Rosen

How amazing would that be?

I'm feeling:

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Pats

in only a year or two

Don't sleep on the Dolphins going for Rosen.

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Good post-

I think that the primary reason for our division, the AFC East's downtrodden state is not just your "garden variety" or "vanilla bad" poor management, it is the bad management uniquely created through the constant turmoil of being dominated by a dynasty year-in and year-out; our division has been a place where promising flames of hope are destroyed by the evil empire. Being in this division therefore, tends to wear out welcomes quickly. GM's, Coaches and QB's just aren't all that brilliant when facing the Patriot machine.

However, it seems that even the paragon of the NFL, the Pats owner has crossed some sort of odd line and perhaps, just maybe... they are in the their final days... but is it one, two or three more years? I mean they did just win it all...again.

Edited by foreboding
brilliant thought

17 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Imo yours was a well thought analysis.

Improved Jets and Bills teams along with Brady and Gronk getting old simply has to impact the Patriots, or at least one would think.

We need to piss in Gisells drops.?

13 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

I wouldn't say the Jets got better... they're O-Line is still in shambles. Bell & Darnold are going to have a hard time playing behind that line. 

I get it tho... I think right now, they're where the Bill's are at. I think if we can add a stud WR at 9. That will set us up big time to contend. 

I think we would be fine with the WRs we have.  Its all on Allen.  He has to continue to grow or its all irrelevent.  I think Brady would be very happy with our WR group.

• Haha (+1) 1

Last time I checked the Patriots beat everyone, regardless of division, conference, or how dysfunctional or function teams are. Go look at their history of success against any team. Pretty much only the Giants have had any real success against them, maybe the Broncos for a bit.

I think the best thing for the Bills would be for the Jets and Dolphins to suck... oh and the Patriots too. That would be really good for the Bills. But hopefully the Bills get good enough so that it doesn't matter if the other divisional teams suck or not, they can win regardless (like the Patriots).