Lombardi tweets Barr might not be the only flip

Estro

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Let's hope none of the Bills signees has a change of heart prior to these signings becoming official at 4PM today.

Lombardi had a tweet early this morning saying hes hearing Barr might not be the only one.....first thing I thought of was Beasley or Brown.

I saw WR Perriman flipped but that's because he signed before the Beckham trade so he's now off to Tampa. 

This is why I don't understand why these things are leaked. They're not real until the contracts are signed. If I was a GM I would keep it quiet and tell agents that the deals are void if leaked.

42 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They haven't signed anything and cant under league rules make anything official until the new league year starts. So there are no 'rules' right now, just teams and agents/players discussing and coming to terms on a future deal. A team could always come back at a player with a better offer before they sign and convince someone to go elsewhere, or another move could convince someone that they made a mistake and dont want to sign there anymore. A team could also change its mind and take back the offer

This is just a negotiating period and nothing is official during it, although most stick with the deals negotiated because they dont want to be viewed poorly by going back on a deal in case they need to go back through this process again.

It's just strange. Agreeing with all of these players without the old traditional wine and dine them to sign 'em of old times.  I am really surprised more people don't back out knowing there is no true commitment. 

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is why I don't understand why these things are leaked. They're not real until the contracts are signed. If I was a GM I would keep it quiet and tell agents that the deals are void if leaked.

It at least provides notice to other teams not to bother, "he's ours!"

40 minutes ago, MJS said:

The “leak” puts pressure on them to sign. 

No no one wants to Barr situation. 

40 minutes ago, anguskeenan said:

It's just strange. Agreeing with all of these players without the old traditional wine and dine them to sign 'em of old times.  I am really surprised more people don't back out knowing there is no true commitment. 

I think it has more to do with the following

- player doesnt want to look bad going back on a deal that was agreed to in principal

- teams dont want to look bad making a deal and then not following through on it

- Other teams dont want to have teams one upping their offers and stealing away players they made a deal with so they dont do it themselves.

Whining and dining is old school. These guys today just want to get paid, then they can go and pay for their own fancy meals whenever they want with their friends instead of some old billionaire they have nothing in common with.

3 hours ago, dubs said:

I am also hearing that there may be another change of heart. I’m hearing we should know by 4pm today or shortly thereafter. I’m also hearing that it may involve an AFC team or possibly an NFC team. 

You, sir, have a career in professional NFL beat reporter tweeting!

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Estro said:

Let's hope none of the Bills signees has a change of heart prior to these signings becoming official at 4PM today.

Lombardi had a tweet early this morning saying hes hearing Barr might not be the only one.....first thing I thought of was Beasley or Brown.

It's actually AB. He now wants to come to Buffalo after all our upgrades! Lol!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloButt said:

It's actually AB. He now wants to come to Buffalo after all our upgrades! Lol!!

He was confused and thought the team was already on Vegas, after finding out that they will be playing in Oakland again next year he realised things could be worse then playing in Buffalo..

6 hours ago, dubs said:

I am also hearing that there may be another change of heart. I’m hearing we should know by 4pm today or shortly thereafter. I’m also hearing that it may involve an AFC team or possibly an NFC team. 

I agree, it may be an offensive player too, or possibly a defensive one.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, anguskeenan said:

What are the rules on this - when these guys commit to a contract during the tampering period, how do they get away with backing out. Did the Jets have to give Barr permission to back out?

no one has to give permission either way. it is just a verbal commitment. Just like verbal NCAA scholarship commits before signing day.

Reportedly:

Perriman seen the handwriting on the wall after Browns acquired OBJ and he/agent in a courtesy move talked to Browns GM and requested release from their verbal non binding commitment. GM agreed and granted release.

It was a good PR move by Perriman/agent to do this when they could have just called Browns and said we are backing out.

• Like (+1) 1