Gettleman - idiot or genius?

eball

On 3/13/2019 at 11:31 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

A first a 3rd and a starting strong safety is dar more compensation than what OBJ was worth. The Giants fleeced the Browns. Just the opposite in how Oakland fleeced Pittsburgh. 

If you think the Giants are going to get near the player OBJ is compared to that first pick your insane.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

If you think the Giants are going to get near the player OBJ is compared to that first pick your insane.

People don't seem to understand how good obj is.

I feel like they've never watched him play and just like to complain about him being a diva.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

I feel like they've never watched him play and just like to complain about him being a diva.

Exactly. Same thing with the Amari Cooper trade last year. Oakland got robbed. No way they have the same talent at pick 20 something that Amari could provide. 

Didn't save money either since they ended up trading for AB

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Exactly. Same thing with the Amari Cooper trade last year. Oakland got robbed. No way they have the same talent at pick 20 something that Amari could provide. 

Agreed.

Giants signed golden Tate to replace obj though

So i guess double slot guys (Tate and Shepard) might work??

I feel like gettleman was like "oh God. Fans are upset. Need a wr name they know. Get me that guy, what's his name, golden corral... Yeah... He has some decent numbers, let's sign him" and has never actually watched a game to know that he's basically a really good slot guy (not a knock, just what he is) so now your #1 and #2 are both slot guys

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

AB is a better WR for the next 3 years and will be cheaper than Cooper will want after this season is over.

people arguing that the Giants fleeced anyone is truly laughable.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

How do you know they won't find a better player?  You don't and neither do I. If I'm NYG I don't make that trade mainly because of the dollars NYG already paid and the dead money hit. OBJ is great and I could care less if he kicks a net. It is actually inherently racist to complain about the minimal sideline antics he has done.  No way PED Edelman gets the same reaction from the media. But still, the value they got back for a twice injured WR that is on a large contract was excellent.  They can draft Eli's replacement with their pick and rebuild the OL with the other picks. Honestly it is a win win trade for both organizations. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

How do you know they won't find a better player?  You don't and neither do I. If I'm NYG I don't make that trade mainly because of the dollars NYG already paid and the dead money hit. OBJ is great and I could care less if he kicks a net. It is actually inherently racist to complain about the minimal sideline antics he has done.  No way PED Edelman gets the same reaction from the media. But still, the value they got back for a twice injured WR that is on a large contract was excellent.  They can draft Eli's replacement with their pick and rebuild the OL with the other picks. Honestly it is a win win trade for both organizations. 

I know they wont get the same quality player because Gettelman is making the pick

It was a dumb trade. Browns got a steal

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Tanking is happening in sports, that is obvious. What I don't get is why a team doesn't use it as a 'spring training' so-to-speak.  

If you are going to lose, why not really use the time. Play mad-scientist with offensive formations.  Instead of spending the whole week developing a gameplan to lose by 15 instead of by 25, how about having your staff brainstorm to come up with ideas that 'no-one' has ever tried.  A team trying to win isn't going to want to do anything really wacky, but what would be the harm for a 'tanking team' to try to see how to attack an opposing offense (Or defense) in a unique way?

Of course, I don't really know what any of that would be...but it seems when teams are tanking...they still try to do whatever they can to keep games close.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

I feel like gettleman was like "oh God. Fans are upset. Need a wr name they know. Get me that guy, what's his name, golden corral... Yeah... He has some decent numbers, let's sign him" and has never actually watched a game to know that he's basically a really good slot guy (not a knock, just what he is) so now your #1 and #2 are both slot guys

I think Tate is more versatile than a "really good slot guy". Indeed when Philly tried the 2nd half of last season to use him exclusively in the slot his production was down. His three thousand yard seasons in Detroit all came playing mainly outside and occasionally in the slot. He is an underrated player in my mind and has been a top 10/12 receiver in the NFL for most of the past 5 or 6 years.

That said, OBJ he certainly isn't and 31 by the time next season begins he certainly is.

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Tate is more versatile than a "really good slot guy". Indeed when Philly tried the 2nd half of last season to use him exclusively in the slot his production was down. His three thousand yard seasons in Detroit all came playing mainly outside and occasionally in the slot. He is an underrated player in my mind and has been a top 10/12 receiver in the NFL for most of the past 5 or 6 years.

That said, OBJ he certainly isn't and 31 by the time next season begins he certainly is.

I was generalizing him, but yes he's a very good receiver.

He's not obj though, as you said.

There will be a big drop-off.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2019 at 10:49 AM, SouthNYfan said:

Ironically the diva label really only applies to generationally talented players 99% of the time. Yet it's a scarlet letter for fans that think the talent is useless anywhere but the Patriots lol.

GMs disagree. They actually think about the circumstances that made the player deemed a "diva" (I doubt GMs even use this term) juxtaposed with the varying degrees of talent these guys bring to the table. OBJ's been on a god awful team. He could have acted out much worst.

One thing to consider, he's used to sucking.. and having his quarterback sucking. OBJ's going to be thrilled to see what being on a non-Giants team feels like. He's had a low bar for expectations in his NFL career to date.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2019 at 2:34 PM, mjd1001 said:

Tanking is happening in sports, that is obvious. What I don't get is why a team doesn't use it as a 'spring training' so-to-speak.  

If you are going to lose, why not really use the time. Play mad-scientist with offensive formations.  Instead of spending the whole week developing a gameplan to lose by 15 instead of by 25, how about having your staff brainstorm to come up with ideas that 'no-one' has ever tried.  A team trying to win isn't going to want to do anything really wacky, but what would be the harm for a 'tanking team' to try to see how to attack an opposing offense (Or defense) in a unique way?

Of course, I don't really know what any of that would be...but it seems when teams are tanking...they still try to do whatever they can to keep games close.

You really shouldn't look like you're tanking.. idk the rules on it, but even Colts' "suck for Luck with Curtis Painter" campaign carried the excuse they had Curtis Painter backing up their injured HOFer QB, not like they spent any small effort to find someone more competitive than Curtis Painter.

I love your idea though. It also in a way removes that purposeful tank image. You can just say you experimented with some wacky concepts to see if it would make up for your bad team (it wouldn't but you might learn some tricks in that mad scientist experiment you can use when you get better).

On 3/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, mjd1001 said:

If your tanking why pay Tate all that money?  Why not tag Collins and trade him?  If someone is willing to pay him 50 plus they would trade a day 2 pick for him.  It looks like they dont know what they want.  Are they contending or tanking?  They are in the former Buffalo cycle of middling. 

Edited by Mat68

14 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If your tanking why pay Tate all that money?  Why not tag Collins and trade him?  If someone is willing to pay him 50 plus they would trade a day 2 pick for him.  I looks like they dont know what they want.  

Just like there is a salary cap, there is also a salary floor that teams MUST spend. They have to spend the money one way or another, so might as well just throw it at a vet who will only be around a year or two, and then come off the books when you are ready to start rebuilding.

But I do agree, it looks like the Giants have no real plan whatsoever.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:26 AM, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

That's how the Yankees ended up with Ellsbury instead of resigning Cano