Gettleman - idiot or genius?

eball

I don't think the Giants have the ability to tank bad enough to get a top-3 pick. Having Barkley plus 2 first round picks pretty much guarantees them 4-5 wins. They'll probably grab a QB & WR in the 1st & be on the upswing.

You never know what constraints and directives a GM is working under.  If the Giants aren’t blowing up that team and going all out for QB of the future and total rebuild, then someone there is stupid.  Could be the owner, could be the GM.  

42 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You never know what constraints and directives a GM is working under.  If the Giants aren’t blowing up that team and going all out for QB of the future and total rebuild, then someone there is stupid.  Could be the owner, could be the GM.  

Very true. Especially considering that McAdoo and Reese were both fired for trying to move on from Eli before the owner was ready. Gettleman may have been hired and told to do what he can to build around Eli. Not sure how trading OBJ works into that, but it would explain picking a RB #2 overall instead of any of the QB prospects.

Hmmm, a meddling owner sandbagging his GM and forcing them to pick a RB over a QB.... where have I heard this story before?...

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, 947 said:

I don't think the Giants have the ability to tank bad enough to get a top-3 pick. Having Barkley plus 2 first round picks pretty much guarantees them 4-5 wins. They'll probably grab a QB & WR in the 1st & be on the upswing.

The new QB won't start.  The new WR won't be like OBJ.  This team has 3 wins written all  over them.

If the Giants have anyone in the building with clue, they won't bother drafting a QB from this year's class.

4 hours ago, eball said:

I'm leaning towards idiot, but I guess his new "plan" is to tank this season and go after the QB next year.  But wow.  Think where the Giants might be if they had drafted a QB last year as many felt was the prudent move?  And how do you think Eli feels at this point?  "Thanks for the two Super Bowl wins, man -- now get out there and get your ass kicked while we tank for Tua!"

Giants in full rebuild mode now.

On the plus side, the Bills play the Miami Tankers twice and the Giant Tankers once this year!

The trade is hard to understand.  OBJ isn’t  a quitter like Brown.

Is it possible we’re seeing the first ever two year tank so they can draft Lawrence?

Devil's advocate time....   

This is a rebuild, even if it isn't stated.   The OBJ trade wasn't great, but given he shopped the offer, I'm guessing it was at market value.  He's rebuilt the OL and will likely grab his QB to with some decent pieces in Shephard and Engram.  On defense, he has work to do, but has 4 picks in the top 1000, avoided a really bad contract in Collins and added Peppers in his place.  

Yeah....best I have.....idiot.

12 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Giants were awesome with the all pro last year!

true. Giants can't get much worse. Now they can't get much better either.

Now the Steelers.. have a lot to lose. We'll see how valuable all-pro skill position players are. I think Bell's absence directly caused them to miss the playoffs.. handicapped them to the point where they were fighting for a spot with or without Brown. We'll see how JuJu does with double teams, and how James Connor holds up health wise. Somehow he's more injury prone than a 5 year running back averaging 400 carries a season. He's a great RB in his own right though. Albeit the position has very little depth

Giants will remain a team that sucks balls. Steelers will become one lol.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

2 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

true. Giants can't get much worse. Now they can't get much better either.

Now the Steelers.. have a lot to lose. We'll see how valuable all-pro skill position players are. I think Bell's absence directly caused them to miss the playoffs.. handicapped them to the point where they were fighting for a spot with or without Brown. We'll see how JuJu does with double teams, and how James Connor holds up health wise. Somehow he's more injury prone than a 5 year running back averaging 400 carries a season.

Giants will remain a team that sucks balls. Steelers will become one lol.

We aleady know....they are not that valuable when it comes to winning and losing games, especially lombardi's.  There is lots of data out there.  The QB  is really the only position that affects wins and losses in a meaningful way when it comes to one player.

• Like (+1) 1

I know everyone is saying the Browns are the next big thing but i don't see it, name the last big name WR to win a SB... Jerry Rice? Also is freddie kitchens in his first year going to be able to manage all these divas? Hunt was just in a tape kicking a woman, both Landry and OBJ are head cases and from what I read OBJ is already asking for a pay increase like the one AB got from the Raiders. I'd love for the Browns to be relevant but I just watched my other favorite team :)  the Pittsburgh Steelers who had all these divas just blow it up and I'm telling you I feel even better now that these guys are off the roster, now you have a hungry James Conner, a team player and pro bowler in Schuster and a guy who will become a house hold name in James Washington. Say what you want about Gettelman but the guy put together a roster good enough to compete in the SB that is more than we can say about any GM from 1997 on from our team.

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

We aleady know....they are not that valuable when it comes to winning and losing games, especially lombardi's.  There is lots of data out there.  The QB  is really the only position that affects wins and losses in a meaningful way when it comes to one player.

yes the QB is the most important one player. I don't see how you're drawing the conclusion that we already know and there's lots of data out there that skill position players don't make a difference. QB's have their best years when they have their best skill position players: Brady w Moss, Brees w Kamara & Michael Thomas, Brady w Edelman & Sony Michel, Foles w Alshon.

I mean we just spent the whole season complaining JA doesn't have the skill position players he needs. Which is it? Quarterbacks like throwing to guys that can get open and make catches. It's football, a team sport. Losing all-pros at any non-QB position still makes you worse.

Are you saying the Steelers are going to be better?

3 hours ago, QCity said:

He's a massive idiot. Why would you pay him a $20M signing bonus just to ship him out of town months later?

Cleveland is basically getting OBJ for 5yrs $75M with only $19M GTD. That's insane. It's $15M AAV.

The problem is that OBJ is already unhappy with his contract.  The 5 year deal for $75 million will need to be adjusted for things can get ugly.