Gettleman - idiot or genius?

eball

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

That's how the Yankees ended up with Ellsbury instead of resigning Cano

I thought they let cano walk because he was older than they thought and wanted a 10 year deal, and because he had the same issue they didn't like with Machado (doesn't always hustle)

The ellsbury signing I wanted to punch a wall when it happened.

Now they have him instead of Harper.

?

That's another discussion though

I'll leave this to football

Giants suck.

That's the end of it.

?

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just like there is a salary cap, there is also a salary floor that teams MUST spend. They have to spend the money one way or another, so might as well just throw it at a vet who will only be around a year or two, and then come off the books when you are ready to start rebuilding.

But I do agree, it looks like the Giants have no real plan whatsoever.

They were well above the floor though if I'm not mistaken (I could be)

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I thought they let cano walk because he was older than they thought and wanted a 10 year deal, and because he had the same issue they didn't like with Machado (doesn't always hustle)

The ellsbury signing I wanted to punch a wall when it happened.

Now they have him instead of Harper.

?

That's another discussion though

I'll leave this to football

Giants suck.

That's the end of it.

?

They were well above the floor though if I'm not mistaken (I could be)

You are correct about the 10 yr deal - the pissed off reaction from the fan base nudged Hal enough to sign someone "big" and that was Ellsbury - who still can't play this damn year. I also beyond irritated about Harper

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

You are correct about the 10 yr deal - the pissed off reaction from the fan base nudged Hal enough to sign someone "big" and that was Ellsbury - who still can't play this damn year. I also beyond irritated about Harper

Yeah it makes me want to cry.

• Sad 1

On 3/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, SouthNYfan said:

People don't seem to understand how good obj is.

I feel like they've never watched him play and just like to complain about him being a diva.

I am in the camp- and i think many are with me-  that he is a truly special talent but he is not reliable enough. Secondly no reciever is worth 20 million a year since he can not make the offense run- ofensive lines and qbs do that.

after reading this 

Idiot 

Gettleman: Giants can still win while building

"Really and truly, you can win while you're building," Gettleman said Monday on a conference call with reporters to discuss the trade of star wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

but not whey you dump your best talent and keep a used dishrag as QB. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

They know they need a quarterback. The problem is young QB's do better with good WRs - like Jarvis Landry for Baker.. Hopkins for Watson.. Hill/Watkins/Kelce for Mahomes.. 

If the plan was - draft a rookie this year, sit him for a year, and 2020 is the year to compete, then i guess it makes sense.  They'll now have tate, rookie QB, barkley, some solid o-line pieces, and a good chunk of cap to spend.  Their defense isn't great  - could use some pass rush, as well as secondary help. 

But i think i get what they're doing.  2019 isn't going to be great... But that gives them a high 1st in 2020 to address pass rush or improve the offensive line.  2020 is a "compete" year, but its not like a super bowl type of team.  ODB wasn't pushing them to a super bowl in 2019 or 2020.  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They know they need a quarterback. The problem is young QB's do better with good WRs - like Jarvis Landry for Baker.. Hopkins for Watson.. Hill/Watkins/Kelce for Mahomes.. 

If the plan was - draft a rookie this year, sit him for a year, and 2020 is the year to compete, then i guess it makes sense.  They'll now have tate, rookie QB, barkley, some solid o-line pieces, and a good chunk of cap to spend.  Their defense isn't great  - could use some pass rush, as well as secondary help. 

But i think i get what they're doing.  2019 isn't going to be great... But that gives them a high 1st in 2020 to address pass rush or improve the offensive line.  2020 is a "compete" year, but its not like a super bowl type of team.  ODB wasn't pushing them to a super bowl in 2019 or 2020.  

they had a chance last year to get  any of the 4 QB's.  

they chose RB.   SMH 

and their silliness helped us get the right Josh 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am in the camp- and i think many are with me-  that he is a truly special talent but he is not reliable enough. Secondly no reciever is worth 20 million a year since he can not make the offense run- ofensive lines and qbs do that.

False.

Look at Eli's stats with and without obj.

Giants offense went from 23ppg to 18ppg with vs without him.

Giants are a .500 team with him and something like 2-17 without him.

Some guys are difference makers.

He is one of them.

You can decide he isn't worth the headache, but you can't deny his impact on the games.

Also he is making 16.7, 14, 14.5, 13.75 and 13.75 in the upcoming years.

Not 20 million.

You exaggerated by almost 30-45%.

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

False.

He is one of them.

You can decide he isn't worth the headache, but you can't deny his impact on the games.

Not 20 million.

My thinking (which is Clevelands now) is -  do you want a EMO playing with a young QB??

The QB needs to lead and not follow.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

after reading this 

Idiot 

Gettleman: Giants can still win while building

"Really and truly, you can win while you're building," Gettleman said Monday on a conference call with reporters to discuss the trade of star wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

but not whey you dump your best talent and keep a used dishrag as QB. 

He also said, when hired, "you don't quit on talent."

• Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

My thinking (which is Clevelands now) is -  do you want a EMO playing with a young QB??

The QB needs to lead and not follow.  

Yeah I'm not sure it was the best move for Cleveland.

I think Baker is enough of a strong personality that obj won't walk all over him, but they might butt heads.

Guys like obj, brown, etc need to be with elite veteran QBs who aren't arrogant (like Ben)...

Guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah I'm not sure it was the best move for Cleveland.

I think Baker is enough of a strong personality that obj won't walk all over him, but they might butt heads.

Guys like obj, brown, etc need to be with elite veteran QBs who aren't arrogant (like Ben)...

Guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees

Brady screams at his players all day long.

Rodgers is pretty arrogant.

Brees is the best of that lot.

I think OBJ will be happy to work with a balls out QB similar in age to himself.  Someone he can relate to, as opposed to human bean bag chair E Manning.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Brady screams at his players all day long.

Rodgers is pretty arrogant.

Brees is the best of that lot.

I think OBJ will be happy to work with a balls out QB similar in age to himself.  Someone he can relate to, as opposed to human bean bag chair E Manning.

Rodgers is arrogant in some ways, but he regularly seems to be on board with his receivers.

He's not like Ben who just throws blame on them all day long.

Brady does have a bit of a screaming problem, but he and belli made moss behave

I agree about Baker and him, I said they might clash, but they might jive because Baker is, as you said, "balls out" like him.

The Eli description is pretty perfect.

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Rodgers is arrogant in some ways, but he regularly seems to be on board with his receivers.

He's not like Ben who just throws blame on them all day long.

Brady does have a bit of a screaming problem, but he and belli made moss behave

I agree about Baker and him, I said they might clash, but they might jive because Baker is, as you said, "balls out" like him.

The Eli description is pretty perfect.

I think the Big Ben thing is a bit overblown.  AB used it to get out of his contract and into some guaranteed money. 

But other than being in Cleveland for too many months a year,  OBJ will like playing on a team with a hopeful future.

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think the Big Ben thing is a bit overblown.  AB used it to get out of his contract and into some guaranteed money. 

But other than being in Cleveland for too many months a year,  OBJ will like playing on a team with a hopeful future.

The Ben thing wasn't just with AB.

Other players have said similar things about him, ab just made the biggest stink.

I think the truth lies somewhere between the two stories.

Yeah obj will be hating the winter but loving the team I think

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

they had a chance last year to get  any of the 4 QB's.  

they chose RB.   SMH 

and their silliness helped us get the right Josh 

I guess that’s what happens when you’ve had a franchise QB for 15 years- you think you will always have one....and if not, you think they are easy to find...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

False.

He is one of them.

Not 20 million.

you are arguing that missing 19 games in the last 3 years is not "unreliable"?. I was also counting the signing bonus but if you are gonna be that way knock youraelf put

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

you are arguing that missing 19 games in the last 3 years is not "unreliable"?. I was also counting the signing bonus but if you are gonna be that way knock youraelf put

Gonna be what way?

Cleveland isn't paying him $20 mil a year.

That's a fact.

He also missed like an entire season with a freak accident.