Gettleman - idiot or genius?

eball

I'm leaning towards idiot, but I guess his new "plan" is to tank this season and go after the QB next year.  But wow.  Think where the Giants might be if they had drafted a QB last year as many felt was the prudent move?  And how do you think Eli feels at this point?  "Thanks for the two Super Bowl wins, man -- now get out there and get your ass kicked while we tank for Tua!"

Giants in full rebuild mode now.

On the plus side, the Bills play the Miami Tankers twice and the Giant Tankers once this year!

• Like (+1) 2

Well based on the OBJ resigning/trading alone, I’d say idiot as well. Unless, of course, it was ownership vacillating and they were the ones directing him to give OBJ a gigantic contract and then trade him 7 months later.

This is hilarious 

Just now, aristocrat said:

Well I think they could have gotten more for Odell but he wanted to get ahead of the problem so he took the Browns deal. 

Based on what was reported, he gave everyone 24 hours to beat the Browns deal and no one bit. 

• Haha (+1) 7

Idiot without a doubt. Hitching his wagon to an aging Eli and not drafting Darnold was his first mistake. I don’t care if Saquon is the best running back in NFL history, the positional value just isn’t there. Could have easily took a Sony Michel or Nick Chubb and had Darnold. Trading OBJ was idiotic as well. Their new QB (Haskins?) was plug and play, set up for success with a good RB, WR and TE. Now that WR corps is awfully pedestrian. It can be cliche to say this, but, if he passes on a QB at 6 this year he needs to be fired on the spot. 

• Like (+1) 3

I honestly don’t think the OBJ trade hurts them or makes them go into “tank” mode. 

I do however think they got hosed on the deal. They could of gotten better compensation for him. That said, they have some decent receivers and a pretty exciting young tight end to use, and Barkley is obviously a monster. 

Where I think Gettleman is an idiot is his use of their cap, they gave out sickening contracts. In the end though, I don’t think having OBJ makes their offense that much better. It’s Barkley’s team now. 

I don’t think they’ll be all that good this year, but Barkley, Sheppard’s, and Engram isn’t a terrible group to have on the field. 

The offensive line is trash and Eli is gonna get killed either way since he’s a statue, that’s the big problem for them 

25 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm leaning towards idiot, but I guess his new "plan" is to tank this season and go after the QB next year.  But wow.  Think where the Giants might be if they had drafted a QB last year as many felt was the prudent move?  And how do you think Eli feels at this point?  "Thanks for the two Super Bowl wins, man -- now get out there and get your ass kicked while we tank for Tua!"

On the plus side, the Bills play the Miami Tankers twice and the Giant Tankers once this year!

And so do the Pats and Jets. 

Stubborn fool maybe?    You gots to know when to fold them WRT Eli. 

Is an EMO really what a 2nd year QB needs to deal with?  

He's no John Dorsey (Cleveland GM) ... that dude ... on paper has revamped that entire roster from Hue Jackson's team that won ... 1 win for the entire 2016-2017 seasons.

That franchise has struggled even more than ours ... so nice to see the changes there .. would love a pair of Lake Erie franchises to rise to the top and we beat them in an AFC Championship game (revenge from the 1989 playoff loss)

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, eball said:

I would be shocked if they did not draft a QB with their first pick this year. 

Gentleman made a great move.

Receivers don’t win you many games,if any and the Giants are obviously in rebuild mode.

People sure do fall in the media hype track. Media has made OBJ into a superstar. He’s not worth the money or draft picks Cleveland just gave.

I can see why Cleveland did it, it makes them relevant in the eyes of fans and media. Hell, I just heard they are now considered Super Bowl contenders, and that’s a huge LOL.

its not true,  but people will never believe it because they are influenced by media.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

He's no John Dorsey (Cleveland GM) ... that dude ... on paper has revamped that entire roster from Hue Jackson's team that won ... 1 win for the entire 2016-2017 seasons.

That franchise has struggled even more than ours ... so nice to see the changes there .. would love a pair of Lake Erie franchises to rise to the top and we beat them in an AFC Championship game (revenge from the 1989 playoff loss)

They have a potentially really good QB. Splashy trades and signings mean nothing. It’s all paper wins.

Im sure not going to change anyone’s mind because people are products of what they are told to believe.

Cleveland will be better but it’s not because of all these silly moves, it will be because their QB will improve and drafting has improved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Gettleman is not to blame for everything.  Giants ownership wants Eli as the qb as McAdoo found out the hard way.  He tried to trade OBJ last year but no suitors.

All in all, I think the Giants messed up last year by not taking a qb.  

37 minutes ago, eball said:

It's way too early to judge the 2018 QB class and whip Gettleman for passing on a QB and take a generational RB prospect.  It may be that if Mayfield had been available, they would have grabbed him but who knows as they never got that chance.  Mayfield was clearly the best of the rookie QBs by a significant margin.  He clearly demonstrated that the talent and leadership that made him the #1 pick apparently carried over to the NFL. The other four QBs all seem to be promising youngsters with Allen and Jackson demonstrating the best leadership but whatever they did in their rookie seasons -- including Mayfield -- will be meaningless unless they make significant progress as sophomores and continue to develop into true franchise QBs.

Furthermore, just because there's a bunch of highly regarded QB prospects in a draft doesn't mean that any or all of them will find success.  Most drafts yield a single franchise QB ... and not all of them come out of the top of the draft or even out of the first round (Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson all come to mind).

I think he just did what had to be done.  Maybe some day fans will realize what teams have, great talent at WR does not equate to a winning team.  Arguably the two best WR's in the league have been traded not because of cap issues, or that there is better talent coming up or anything.  They were traded because they are selfish pricks and that is not how you build a winning team.  If OBJ was a professional he would still be in NY.   You have to remove the cancer in your locker room to move forward sometimes.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Gentleman made a great move.

Receivers don’t win you many games,if any and the Giants are obviously in rebuild mode.

People sure do fall in the media hype track. Media has made OBJ into a superstar. He’s not worth the money or draft picks Cleveland just gave.

I can see why Cleveland did it, it makes them relevant in the eyes of fans and media. Hell, I just heard they are now considered Super Bowl contenders, and that’s a huge LOL.

its not true,  but people will never believe it because they are influenced by media.

I’m pretty certain Odells multiple 1000+ receiving yard seasons are what made him a superstar. Guy has put up 1000 yards, at least, in every season. Except two years ago where he was hurt and only played in 4 games. He has 44 TD’s in 5 seasons and that includes his injured season. His numbers speak for themselves, Odell is a superstar with or without the media. 

• Like (+1) 1