What is your favorite soup ?

mead107

1 hour ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Progresso, or Chunkey.

Image result for soup nazi meme

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Duuuuuuude!!!

My favorite are the ones served in a bowl with a spoon.  In other words they are all good.  If I had to pick one it would be NE clam chowder but one that I make.   The ones I usually have are lacking in the salt department.  I don't like them overly salty but a clam chowder should have enough salt to taste like the ocean the clams came from. 

Best clam chowder I had was one made with cockles that I had dug. The broth from the fresh clams made all the difference. Ok, bacon was involved :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, rochester rob said:

Not a gumbo mention in the thread. Make mine with chicken,sausage and shrimp. 

I was gonna shout Gumbo but, like Jumbalaya, I considered it more a meal than a soup.

Gimme a bowl and a slice of sweet potato pie right now!

Edited by The Senator
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/13/2019 at 7:42 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

1. French Onion - Every new restaurant I go to,  I try the French Onion if it's an option. 

2. Tomato Bisque 

3. Ham and Bean

Not sure is chili is considered a soup, but it's always under the soup section in menus. If so that's tied with French Onion

i do this too.  typically if the french onion come out great, the other food is solid as well.   i'll play the same game with chicken french.

She-crab soup from a place in Charleston called “Hank’s” which is the best soup I’ve ever had in my life...and I’m really not trying to exaggerate here people! For the usual available options however, the tomato soup at Atlanta Bread Co is a big thumbs up, and I’ve also always liked a hearty pea soup. 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

I've seen this a few times

What's wrong with He Crab soup?    #genderneutralsoups

Great point. I think it may need to be renamed cisgender crab soup, or identifying as crab today soup, whatever any of that hot mess means ;)

• Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

never been a big fan of crab.    I guess too much work (legs) for strips of "meat"  

I've tried a few prepared dishes but if they have the strong fish smell I get turned off.  

Totally get that Shady—I’m the same way. That’s part of why the Hank’s soup is so good, because it does not have any of that kind of normal accompanying smells. Not sure why, but it’s ??.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Vichyssoise is fantastic.  Cold potato leek soup.

Did you win the middle school  Spelling Bee on that one?  ?

Growing up it was red meat and potatoes every night. I will have an occasional steak, but avoid potatoes, especially in soups where I try to eat around them. 

55 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

never been a big fan of crab.    I guess too much work (legs) for strips of "meat"  

I've tried a few prepared dishes but if they have the strong fish smell I get turned off.  

I had snow crab for dinner a couple nights ago. First time in a long time. Wife’s away, I can make what I want and it was snow crab. I kind of think of it as a diet meal. You burn as many calories as you consume. By the time I got to the last cluster I was thinking I’d gotten one too many. 

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did you win the middle school  Spelling Bee on that one?  ?

Growing up it was red meat and potatoes every night. I will have an occasional steak, but avoid potatoes, especially in soups where I try to eat around them. 

I had snow crab for dinner a couple nights ago. First time in a long time. Wife’s away, I can make what I want and it was snow crab. I kind of think of it as a diet meal. You burn as many calories as you consume. By the time I got to the last cluster I was thinking I’d gotten one too many. 

the wife and kids love crab legs.   they can enjoy them, I'll just eat whatever else is being cooked  

Wife and I would go out with friends and they would order the  All you can eat crab legs at Red Lobster ..  I'd get a steak. 

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the wife and kids love crab legs.   they can enjoy them, I'll just eat whatever else is being cooked  

Wife and I would go out with friends and they would order the  All you can eat crab legs at Red Lobster ..  I'd get a steak. 

When the Old Oyster Factory opened on Hilton Head Island, they used to have a crab leg special during happy hours. We’d take our young kids to the bar area (a high top, not a booster seat right at the bar, but that might have been worth it for the funny looks!) and chow down on crab legs. They were practically free as they wanted to make money on the drinks and get people into the new restaurant. If we ate that many crab legs there now it would mean taking out a second mortgage! We were young and it was a cheap night out.....and we got pretty much burned out on crab legs....

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

When the Old Oyster Factory opened on Hilton Head Island, they used to have a crab leg special during happy hours. We’d take our young kids to the bar area (a high top, not a booster seat right at the bar, but that might have been worth it for the funny looks!) and chow down on crab legs. They were practically free as they wanted to make money on the drinks and get people into the new restaurant. If we ate that many crab legs there now it would mean taking out a second mortgage! We were young and it was a cheap night out.....and we got pretty much burned out on crab legs....

King Crab way to go over snow crab..way easier. And for a guy with your money, extra expense no worries.

I do make a great shrimp and corn chowder...made for the Monday Nighter last year