What is your favorite soup ?

mead107

On 3/14/2019 at 1:50 PM, The Senator said:

Nothing so fun as a good Maryland Blue Crab boil - cover the picnic table with newspaper, and break out the hammers and beer!

Snow Crab, I could eat all night - and always do when in Florida.

I had this for the first (and only) time summer 2017. My buddy had something like , idk, 50 pounds of blue crab flown in to Tulsa. It was quite an experience for me on a couple of levels. First  the whole newspaper on picnic table thing. Second, I had never been involved in a black family reunion. Third, I learned what soul food is really all about. It was a blast, and the food was awesome. My buddy moved back to DC last summer and has offered to fly me out for a similar feast. I have not taken him up yet - he also wants me to build him another deck, lol.

3 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I had this for the first (and only) time summer 2017. My buddy had something like , idk, 50 pounds of blue crab flown in to Tulsa. It was quite an experience for me on a couple of levels. First  the whole newspaper on picnic table thing. Second, I had never been involved in a black family reunion. Third, I learned what soul food is really all about. It was a blast, and the food was awesome. My buddy moved back to DC last summer and has offered to fly me out for a similar feast. I have not taken him up yet - he also wants me to build him another deck, lol.

Do it.  Go there!

My favorite experiences in the DC/.Maryland/ Virginia metro area, aside from Maryland Blue  Crab and Chesapeake Oysters, was hopping in a cab with an 80 year old guy that could tell you what DC was like during Johnson/ Nixon.  If you were lucky enough, maybe Roosevelt.

Those old timers have so many memories, so many miles, so much wisdom.

Edited by The Senator

On 3/16/2019 at 3:24 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I tend to like cold food.  Soup is nice if not too hot.

Another fav:

Gazpacho

Gazpacho_con_su_guarnici%C3%B3n_-_jlastr

I think some places try too hard with Gazpacho. They over think it. It’s a bit like chili, you like it the way YOU like it, so something different could be good, but still disappoints. I have a pretty simple and easy Gazpacho recipe, but there’s always a LOT of chopping! I’m just waiting for true Gazpacho weather. My wife can eat the same food every night, and I can take warm and sunny every day! 

• Like (+1) 1

vegetable beef soup.

Harkins to childhood when parents would get a soup bone from Loblaws

and cook it all day with a variety of vegetables, esp.. barley.

The dog would have a feast on the bone after it was extracted from the soup.

Good times.

3 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

vegetable beef soup.

Harkins to childhood when parents would get a soup bone from Loblaws

and cook it all day with a variety of vegetables, esp.. barley.

The dog would have a feast on the bone after it was extracted from the soup.

Good times.

Stone soup?  No, bone soup!

My mother made a flavourful beef vegetable soup, which as often as not used ox tails as the base.  We always had the large cans of chopped or diced clams in house, and a ‘beef vegetable’ soup often became ‘Manhattan clam chowder’, thanks to a can opener, and about two hours of simmering.  The annual Dominion Day - Fourth of July neighbourhood picnic always had a large kettle of the chowder on the stove.