Le’Veon Bell Signinig With the Jets

sven233

12 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Does that necessarily make it harder on the offensive line? Genuine question. Watching Bell run seems like the DL have to stay very disciplined and see where the gaps are growing.. looks like it has an element of pass blocking to it.

I just watched a video analysis of his running style in a Steelers Bills game. He obviously hits the hole hard when he has it. But he had a lot of chunk yardage plays where he intentionally lets the protection break down while he pivots to a good spot to counter over aggressive defenders.

Be interesting how his style works with a crap OL. He obviously benefits as much as anyone from a good push. But it'd be scary if he's more independent from weak OL play than most RBs.

I bet this is true.  He's patient, but not a tap dancer back there.  Then he's a bull going forward.

These stats are becoming silly:  a difference of 0.3 seconds for a RB behind the line of scrimmage is kind of a silly thing for these people to be tweeting out.  It's not like QB release time.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:45 AM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

This article is a pretty good feel good piece.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/3/13/18263367/leveon-bell-new-york-jets-gamble-new-contract-steelers-holdout

Tldr: he got what he wanted. And he will be ridiculed for not getting all the money he could have. But he burned his own money willingly and did it for a reason. It's his money to earn and lose.

Really no reason for ripping him over what any financial advisor will recommend to someone in a very precarious profession. Sorry Bell is fiscally responsible. Or that that seems to irk people for some dumb reason.

I see zero character problems with what went down. How many rookie holdouts do we see over the most frivolous things? Like Joey Bosa with the Chargers. This held much more weight

thanks for that. a good read. I'll be the first one to criticize a greedy player. this just never felt like that to me. good for bell. though I hope he gets eaten up the next few years while he enjoys that money!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Life's a gamble.

Sometimes but he made a uneducated decision.

RBs are easy to find so thinking your are going to set the market at 20 million is delusional.

Being a me first player who had the whole team turn against him doesnt make other teams want you.

Losing guaranteed 14.5 because of sitting out and never will be regained.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:45 AM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

This article is a pretty good feel good piece.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/3/13/18263367/leveon-bell-new-york-jets-gamble-new-contract-steelers-holdout

Tldr: he got what he wanted. And he will be ridiculed for not getting all the money he could have. But he burned his own money willingly and did it for a reason. It's his money to earn and lose.

Really no reason for ripping him over what any financial advisor will recommend to someone in a very precarious profession. Sorry Bell is fiscally responsible. Or that that seems to irk people for some dumb reason.

I see zero character problems with what went down. How many rookie holdouts do we see over the most frivolous things? Like Joey Bosa with the Chargers. This held much more weight

2018 season - "Bell is holding out for the best financial decision possible!"  

2019 season - "Even though he lost money, it's his to lose!"

Face facts.  Bell and his agent blew it, like most of us said he would when this saga started.  This backtracking, "maybe he just didn't want to play for the Steelers!" is nonsense.  

• Like (+1) 1

It looks like the Bell/Bills stuff was nothing more than rumors. I don’t think the Bills were ever actually in on Bell.

There’s this -

and then there is this -

https://theathletic.com/870418/2019/03/15/it-takes-a-village-behind-the-scenes-of-bills-free-agency-with-brandon-beane/

There will always be conversations about the players who didn’t come in. After the Bills were tied to Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell’s name also emerged, but there was nothing to those rumors.

(Subscription required for article)

Its from a “behind the scenes in free agency” article that Matthew Fairborn wrote, with a lot of direct quotes from Beane and lots of info on how Beane and his staff handled free agency. So I would have to imagine that Bell info is coming directly from Beane. 

On 3/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Does that necessarily make it harder on the offensive line? Genuine question. Watching Bell run seems like the DL have to stay very disciplined and see where the gaps are growing.. looks like it has an element of pass blocking to it.

I just watched a video analysis of his running style in a Steelers Bills game. He obviously hits the hole hard when he has it. But he had a lot of chunk yardage plays where he intentionally lets the protection break down while he pivots to a good spot to counter over aggressive defenders.

Be interesting how his style works with a crap OL. He obviously benefits as much as anyone from a good push. But it'd be scary if he's more independent from weak OL play than most RBs.

This is a great post my ninja.

Thats a hell of an observation. All those factors are gonna change things. Its not like plug n play with his running style. Hopefully it works for us cuz i didnt wanna see levonn bell twice a year with a growing Sam darnold.  We better start looking for an anti-bell.  Like Mack vs Rogders in the NFCN

On 3/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Jets got a good player. Watched him play for Pittsburgh a few years ago in Buffalo and I couldnt believe how patient he was. I worry far more about his receiving skills than his running to be honest, but the Jets got a good player

I get a kick out of how everyone praises him for being a patient RB. The only thing that means is that the o-line is doing their job to open up gaps and giving the RB time. We'll see how patient he is when his line is getting blown up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/14/2019 at 2:14 PM, BringBackOrton said:

2018 season - "Bell is holding out for the best financial decision possible!"  

2019 season - "Even though he lost money, it's his to lose!"

Face facts.  Bell and his agent blew it, like most of us said he would when this saga started.  This backtracking, "maybe he just didn't want to play for the Steelers!" is nonsense.  

Cool. The article mentions as much. He ultimately lost money he can never get, the article just shows the silver lining.

At the end of the day who the hell cares. You can rejoice that he blew it and lost millions (weird), you can feel sorry for him (no one's forcing you to pity a millionaire). Ultimately the Jets got a bargain deal which ain't good for us.

I don't like the character assassination is all. If the worst thing he's done is hold out for guaranteed money, which every athlete does and is entitled to do, what's the character problem he's shown as a teammate?

26 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Cool. The article mentions as much. He ultimately lost money he can never get, the article just shows the silver lining.

At the end of the day who the hell cares. You can rejoice that he blew it and lost millions (weird), you can feel sorry for him (no one's forcing you to pity a millionaire). Ultimately the Jets got a bargain deal which ain't good for us.

I don't like the character assassination is all. If the worst thing he's done is hold out for guaranteed money, which every athlete does and is entitled to do, what's the character problem he's shown as a teammate?

Until Darnold proves he can take over a game, I'm not afraid to hope the Bills just stack the box and focus on shutting Bell down. Plus it looks like their O-line is shaping up to take a step backwards this year, which can only help us in this overall regard as well. Bell will not be running behind the same type of line he had in Pittsburgh, that's for sure. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/16/2019 at 6:34 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I get a kick out of how everyone praises him for being a patient RB. The only thing that means is that the o-line is doing their job to open up gaps and giving the RB time. We'll see how patient he is when his line is getting blown up.

Being patient is another way to say he has good ball carrier vision. He's willing to wait for a better to hole if it opens up. He's sort of the opposite Trent Richardson who had the dumbest RB IQ I've ever seen and couldn't run straight through a gaping hole. The OL is doing a bang up job, while Bell brings his own talent to the table by utilizing that. Can't fault an RB for using vision and a strong OL to take a few extra seconds to find the best hole. 

We'll see how much better he can do with a crap OL, I've posited that good RB vision makes him less dependent on strong OL play, but we ultimately don't know. His patience people bring up refers to his willingness to counter overaggressive defenders - he let's them make the first move and lose their gap discipline. But he also hits the hole when it's available just like any other one cut runner. His best strength as a RB is his balance and IQ. I don't think he'll have the opportunities to take the liberties he had with the Steelers OL to wait as long behind the LOS. But he ultimately could be less OL dependent than other RBs. That's my guess.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Until Darnold proves he can take over a game, I'm not afraid to hope the Bills just stack the box and focus on shutting Bell down. Plus it looks like their O-line is shaping up to take a step backwards this year, which can only help us in this overall regard as well. Bell will not be running behind the same type of line he had in Pittsburgh, that's for sure. 

When have the Bills ever stacked the box? Don't get me wrong, I love our defense but we disguise a lot and blitz way less than any other team I care to watch on Sundays...

14 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Nope, he most likely won't be. I'm interested to see how he's utilized in the passing game. He's a QB's perfect safety blanket. Heck he could split out wide and probably be the Jets best wideout too.

Guy's a swiss army knife and probably the best skill position player all around that can line up virtually anywhere. I'd say him and Christian McCaffrey are unique tools in the NFL in that they play the RB position but can be utilized anywhere on the field. They're the RB version of what Gronk used to bring to the table for the Pats at TE. There's probably a few more RBs that operate this way but Bell and McCaffrey are the best ones that come to mind. They make the position much more flexible for an offenses than you typically see.

I don't think as highly of Darnold as others around here seem to do. So many picks, the guy looks Winston-esque. So I'm really not especially worried. He did play well in the Bills loss to the Jets after a rough start though. I'd rather have Baker then Josh Allen as of now.. and I'd like to have a stronger verdict on Lamar Jackson, but he could be the dark horse to pass Darnold as top 3 QBs in that draft based on his ceiling as he develops. 

39 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I’m not rejoicing about anything. Bell was just wrong and was proven wrong, and the people who defended him were also wrong.

27 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I’m not rejoicing about anything. Bell was just wrong and was proven wrong, and the people who defended him were also wrong.

Sure. But going from defending his negotiation to saying it was his money to lose is clearly a concession statement. I'm generally getting the vibe from pro Bell people of "well that sucked".  Again.. the article makes this very clear lol

Not to make any excuses or start an argument.. because ultimately he should have signed the tag week 10: but the state of that lockerroom and the teammates, especially the OL making the comments about him is a pretty scary situation for an RB to hear what his big protection fellas think about his holdout. In the OL's defense, Bell was never forthcoming about what his plans were. But regardless former players were pretty shocked at the statements they made. It's pretty unprecedented for players not to support their teammates in a holdout

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that decision. There's no way his agent wasn't begging him to sign by week 10 and he definitely made a hasty last minute decision not to take that much guaranteed money for a few games presumably as a backup

1 hour ago, Watkins101 said:

I wouldn't have minded a heavily incentive laden contract for bell. Cheap if unproductive, quite costly if he played at an elite level.

I'm sure teams offered him contracts like that.. but the RB is last position to accept such an incentive contract. This is likely his last big deal, he's proven he's great, can take the heaviest 400 carry workload in the league with minimal injury history. Todd Gurley would be more appropriate for that kind of incentives if he was a FA today knowing what we know now

Gronk took an incentive like that to basically insure against him being as injury prone, as he's likely to get the 10+ TD requirement for sure provided he plays the full season.

Teams really don't have the bargaining position for that. Especially if the offense already suck balls and are essentially asking a player to flip their offensive production to be playoff caliber due to a single player.. his incentive in that case oughta be astronomical if they're asking him to exceed any RBs reasonable value.

Only incentive I can see as fair to put on the table is regarding Bell's drug suspension history.. which Jets probably did.. I don't really know. But he wouldn't go to the Bills is his incentive was based on turning them a 180 offensively if the base contract isn't in the ball park he's been asking for guaranteed and the incentives aren't astronomically high haha.

Like if David Johnson/Shady proved an All-Pro player can regress behind a crap OL, it feels pretty unreasonable to say "we'll only pay you XYZ if you're the rushing leader next year.. cause we have zero expectations you meet it with the stacked boxes and poor OL you'll be working with"

Just out of curiosity, what incentives would you think are fair? 900 yards rushing? I'd gamble on that. Sounds like you're talking about graded production for salary. That's fair so long as you're giving the appropriate guaranteed money RBs need more than other positions

Some sort of incentive that asks you to get 200 more yards than what your last primary RB made is fair. Just some sort of precondition you're getting a significantly better rusher.. all things otherwise equal.

I want to be an NFL agent now. I'd love bargaining with GMs haha. New dream job