The future finally is now in Buffalo

TigerJ

31 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Reality check. We were a awful team last year. We signed some average to above average guys. We will get a c+/b rating on free agency. But we are still a ways away. Good thing is anything can happen in this Nfl. 

They'll have, at the very least, a Top 10 level Defense and an Average Offense around Josh Allen.  

This means, if Josh Allen truly is the guy, he has every opportunity to turn this Offense into an above average group and win a bunch of games by scoring enough points to let our defense do its thing. 

Free agency was going to be interesting because there weren't a lot of "stars" per say.  The key was to get pieces and I think we did that in spades. 

I think we need a stud receiver to come out of this draft in whichever round we get one - it's so helpful to a team to get one there.  It would be nice to see another o lineman, LB or DT to add to our core from the draft.  Maybe even hit on a mid round RB that becomes our future back.  

Even with what appears to be a successful free agency thus far - IMO, we do still lack top end talent.   I know it's a lot to ask from one draft but I think it's critical that we get 3 excellent players out of it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I’m 50/50 on him myself.

I like a lot about him but he also drives me insane sometimes with his conservative mindset.

He has finally got a bit of talent around him so let’s see what he does in year 3.

kinda where I am at

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My concern is that McD isn't the guy who is going to get the most out of this team.  Sorry.

Weo, I respect you’re opinion, but respectively disagree.  McD has had a difficult job these last two years, and now finally this year and the next, we have the $ to spend hopefully wisely and can build the team the way they are trying for long term success.

They seem smart enough to maintain a healthy cap space so they can keep building each year.  This year should be fun.  The next even better.

2 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

That schedule doesn't strike fear in me either

....not anymore....

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Weo, I respect you’re opinion, but respectively disagree.  McD has had a difficult job these last two years, and now finally this year and the next, we have the $ to spend hopefully wisely and can build the team the way they are trying for long term success.

They seem smart enough to maintain a healthy cap space so they can keep building each year.  This year should be fun.  The next even better.

people forget we'll have even more cap $ to spend next year.

7 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Free agency has clinched it.  Buffalo is ready to win now.  Beane may have claimed he was going to be judicious, and in many ways he has with some of his signings, but just the sheer number of decent quality guys says the Bills are going after the playoffs in the 2019 season and maybe the AFC East crown.  It should be a fun season guys and gals.

He hasn't just claimed it. He's been judicious as hell.

And when you have $75 mill, and you spend it judiciously, you can bring in a lot of pretty decent players, fill a lot of holes.

And when you start talking about division crowns this early, you make people wonder if there are vast cases of Kool-Aid in your storerooms.

I like how they're doing things a great deal. But they still have a lot to prove. I expect improvement, though. I think it's legit to expect far fewer areas of obvious weakness this year. But we still have a 2nd year QB and an OL that's never worked together. Playoffs seem possible this year, but far from a sure thing.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....not anymore....

people forget we'll have even more cap $ to spend next year.

Too early by far right now to know that' we'll have even more cap $ next year. I'd bet it's quite a bit less than $75 mill. But it should indeed be very healthy again next year. But I expect them to keep it healthy every year. That's how the Panthers operate, and most of the best teams in the league, really.

7 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I'm still a little underwhelmed by our receivers but I have been happy overall with what they have done.  And I know there weren't a lot of receivers to choose from.  Can't wait for the draft.

I am expecting to be surprised by the draft. I definately don't think they will be drafting for need or to fill a starting position.  I expect them to emphasize the ceiling of these players and not how well they fill an immediate need.

Either way regardless of who they added it’s on Allen. This team will only go as far as he takes them. I am ecstatic with the signings they’ve made and think they have drastically improved the offense. We don’t exactly know some of those lineman signed but they have the look that Beane really did some homework big time on these signings and they all are versatile and can play multiple positions and some of them quite good as well.  A lot of posters seem to be on the legit #1 receiver threat, which I get. Me personally I want the move tight end who can work the middle of the field with Beasley. 

In the end though we can add all the best free agents and traded guys we want but Allen has to put it together. The run game has to improve for him, and he has to learn to work the field and get these new weapons all involved. If he’s the guy I see no reason this can’t be a top 10 offense if the run game is working. I would also expect some impact rookies at DT, LB, and TE for the draft. 

Division title? That’s laughable. 

Playoffs? It’s possible we can be in the hunt but consider the Browns(OBJ++) and Titans(Humphries, Saffold) getting players many around here wanted pre-free agency. Not to mention Jets have superior playmakers with Bell, Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder. They also added Osemele. 

Free agency isnt over and the draft is still to come, but let’s remember other teams are making moves too. I see this every year on this board. People get blinders for the Bills addition/draft picks.

Overall I’m pretty happy with what they’ve done so far but I’m not convinced they’re a playoff team. 

9 hours ago, Idandria said:

Are you being sarcastic? 

McD got us to the playoffs getting the most out of some bush league squad inherited from Rex Ryan. If anything, he gets his players to overachieve if anything. 

I'm still left with that insane amateur way he handled the QB spot last preseason and the beginning of the season.  That was beyond understanding.

But we'll see this year.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

All of that is true.  But when it comes to coaching, nothing in your post addresses that.  This is the year he has to show he can really call a game with all this new help.  Should be more fun than last year for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I am expecting to be surprised by the draft. I definately don't think they will be drafting for need or to fill a starting position.  I expect them to emphasize the ceiling of these players and not how well they fill an immediate need.

Of course.  Never recommend drafting for need and I hope they draft bpa that will positively impact the team.  I do believe in big,fast, physical receivers though and luckily there are some in this draft and hopefully the Bills get one.  

11 hours ago, Idandria said:

Are you being sarcastic? 

McD got us to the playoffs getting the most out of some bush league squad inherited from Rex Ryan. If anything, he gets his players to overachieve if anything. 

But did he really get the most out of a bush league squad? He took an offense who finished 10th and 12th in the league and gutted it, which is now 30th in the league in scoring. This was the path McD CHOOSE to take. He hired the dinosaur Dennison to lead the offense. He's gone to Peterman TWICE to be the starting QB.

His defenses have been better than Rex's but which players has he got to overachieve on that side of the ball? Lorax? He had one of his best seasons under Rex. Hughes? Again had one of his best seasons under Rex. Kyle? I mean, not much to say there. He's overhauled the secondary so there's not much to compare to.

I think the defense plays hard for McD but he's a former DC, so I expect that. It's his forte. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning if McD can get the offensive side of the team to gel because he has as of yet, done that.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My concern is that McD isn't the guy who is going to get the most out of this team.  Sorry.

This roster was crafted to fit what he is looking for.  So he has a lot of input on the players they are pulling in.  No matter your thoughts on if he is the guy to take this team to the Super Bowl and win it or not, he IS the guy who SHOULD get the most out of this team.