The future finally is now in Buffalo

TigerJ

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My concern is that McD isn't the guy who is going to get the most out of this team.  Sorry.

This is absurd. I am not a huge fan of BEANE, but McDermott had MAXIMIZED the win totals of some VERY limited teams in terms of talent.

There is no telling if he's a coach who's good enough to get into the playoffs, but not quite good enough in primetime, but this is a ridiculous take based on what has actually transpired thus far.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like the enthusiasm, but I still have reservations. We signed good players in FA, but not game changers by any means. I also need to be convinced that Josh Allen can throw with enough accuracy that we can beat the heavyweight teams consistently and frankly, I doubt we'll ever get that from him. You either wake up with that kind of arm accuracy or you don't and there is no question that he doesn't. How that will change, I have no idea.

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Let's not get too excited yet. None of the FA signings are superstars, and a few of them have significant injury histories. Let's see how they play on game day before we label this team a winner. 

Best post so far. You are exactly right. It still depends on whether or not Allen can hit the side of the proverbial barn with his throws. I'll need to be convinced.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

I like the enthusiasm, but I still have reservations. We signed good players in FA, but not game changers by any means. I also need to be convinced that Josh Allen can throw with enough accuracy that we can beat the heavyweight teams consistently and frankly, I doubt we'll ever get that from him. You either wake up with that kind of arm accuracy or you don't and there is no question that he doesn't. How that will change, I have no idea.

That is my concern as well. I'm not hating on Allen, nor will I gush about a guy who hasn't PROVEN to be a top notch passer in the NFL.

My overall take from free agency is that acquisitions appear to be good, not great on paper. If Josh Allen IS the real deal, this will take care of itself. 

No, there is no QB who could take last year's trash heap offense far, but the one we'll field this year will be significantly better. The kind of decent offense that a standout QB can make better.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I agree things seem different. I'm thrilled with how free agency started for the Bills, but won't delude myself into thinking they've stacked pro-bowlers across the board.

However, Allen has been given enough pieces to (hopefully) succeed. I don't expect him to turn into Jim Kelly or Ben Roethlisberger this year, but I do expect progress. If there's substantial progress, I think many of us will be (pleasantly) surprised with the results, but for me, that is not the expectation.

33 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Best post so far. You are exactly right. It still depends on whether or not Allen can hit the side of the proverbial barn with his throws. I'll need to be convinced.

You can claim the sky is green forever.  But repeating it all the time doesn't make it right.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Im sorry your posts are so bad

He takes a team that sheds salary for draft picks in his first year and makes the playoffs

Last year.....now in full blown rebiuld mode and dead cap sandwich he wins more games then he should have......

He has been working with chicken salad......now has a better choice of meat and YOU dont think he can work with it

Those are roster moves, bro.  Let's see him coach on Sundays to win games. 

You said the same stuff about Rex I bet.  Because...of course you do.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is absurd. I am not a huge fan of BEANE, but McDermott had MAXIMIZED the win totals of some VERY limited teams in terms of talent.

There is no telling if he's a coach who's good enough to get into the playoffs, but not quite good enough in primetime, but this is a ridiculous take based on what has actually transpired thus far.

It's the talent he and Beane put out there---including Peterman.  That wasn't a winning-max move.

I'm ready to see it this year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Except when Rex got here and didnt perform.....I didnt

And yes....when you are coaching on a team with little talent and you make playoffs in your first year...you dont suck

but hey lets not let that get in the way of your little narrative

17 hours ago, DallasMac said:

I'm still a little underwhelmed by our receivers but I have been happy overall with what they have done.  And I know there weren't a lot of receivers to choose from.  Can't wait for the draft.

LOL our Receivers are already 100% better then what we had and to boot its going to turn into a competition and we have not even gone into the draft yet.. I am not worried about WR.. 2-3 will pop out and we will be good to go.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Except when Rex got here and didnt perform.....I didnt

And yes....when you are coaching on a team with little talent and you make playoffs in your first year...you dont suck

but hey lets not let that get in the way of your little narrative

My narrative is let's wait and see.  I'm withholding judgment but skeptical.  Pretty crazy, right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

LOL our Receivers are already 100% better then what we had and to boot its going to turn into a competition and we have not even gone into the draft yet.. I am not worried about WR.. 2-3 will pop out and we will be good to go.

Saying our wrs are better isn't saying much.  They couldn't get much worse.  Like I said I'm looking forward to the draft to hopefully get a guy or two with some size.  Josh Allen isn't Tom Brady where he's going to make quick throws to small fast guys underneath.  He needs some guys with a bigger catch radius.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:45 PM, Mr. WEO said:

It's the talent he and Beane put out there---including Peterman.  That wasn't a winning-max move.

I'm ready to see it this year.

Same my friend. I don't think any of us can defend the Peterman situation.

My overall point was that I do feel McDermott has gotten maximum win totals out of poor rosters.

The key question with him I think is whether he's a Dick Jauron(worst case scenario) who can eek out wins from a bunch of castoffs or is a guy able to take that next, all important step.

I don't think free agency has been terrific or terrible. It's somewhere in between. The roster is most certainly improved to the point where it's not unrealistic to expect a pretty big leap forward, especially if Allen can build on his end of season improvements.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1