The future finally is now in Buffalo

TigerJ

1 minute ago, TheBeane said:

This roster was crafted to fit what he is looking for.  So he has a lot of input on the players they are pulling in.  No matter your thoughts on if he is the guy to take this team to the Super Bowl and win it or not, he IS the guy who SHOULD get the most out of this team.

Well, that's the part I'm not sure of.  This offense is at the mercy of McD (as we saw last year) and Daboll.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's fair to criticize McD.

He's has a pathetic 10-15 record since a quick 5-2 start in his first season............included in there numerous massive blowout losses...........including the Peterman catastrophe's........and he's somehow managed the near impossible by raising the bar for a Bills coach being uncompetitive against Bill Belichick.  

He and Beane have shown an ability to self-evaluate wrt personnel and then make changes so hopefully there are no more Peterman's in his future and he figures out how to stop reflexively bending over at mere the sight of BB and the Pats. 

I disagree with anyone who says he hasnt gotten anything out of this team.  This team had the worst roster in football last year and yet we still won games.  The year before wasnt much better and we made the playoffs.  I think anyone who critisizes what he gets from his team is delusional. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My concern is that McD isn't the guy who is going to get the most out of this team.  Sorry.

I have zero concern he will get full buy-in and effort out of the team -- they seem to want to run through walls for him.  My concern is whether he continues to develop his gameday routine (i.e., time management, strategic in-game decisions, etc.) because I think they do go into games with solid plans on both offense and defense.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My concern is that McD isn't the guy who is going to get the most out of this team.  Sorry.

It's certainly an open question.  He should win with this roster plus the draft picks. If he doesn't we may have a problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, eball said:

I have zero concern he will get full buy-in and effort out of the team -- they seem to want to run through walls for him.  My concern is whether he continues to develop his gameday routine (i.e., time management, strategic in-game decisions, etc.) because I think they do go into games with solid plans on both offense and defense.

Again, it's not about full buy in and effort.  Nice guys get that from their roster often.

The other things you mention are my concerns as well.  This guy volunteered to die on the Nate Peterman hill....twice. 

I like the conversation in this thread.  I don't think Buffalo has answered every question, by any means.  I agree with those who point to the draft as a key to making this thing work.  Beane made a strategic decision not to focus on big name players in free agency.  Mitch Morse is a fairly big name, and he was made the highest paid center in the league.  John Brown is a little less of a big name, but he's still notable.  Beane also signed guys in the Micah Hyde category - guys who had playing time, maybe even a few starts, but were not household names.  They still have the potential to come in and if not gain the near stardom like Hyde, at least might turn into solid starters - Nsekhe and Feliciano.  There are questions about some players - Kevin Johnson's health, but I think this team has a chance to be significantly better than the 6-10 team from last season.  I don't know that they are quite ready to dethrone New England, and the playoffs are not a guarantee at this point, but now that the cap situation has been cleared up, Brandon Beane clearly has his eyes on that goal.

I think a key to the success is how quickly the new OL coach can get this group of players into a cohesive unit.  There were several OL free agents who signed huge deals...how much better can they block than the 4 we signed?  All 4 were highly rated, and the margin between them and those with giant contracts is really not that wide.  You can have a star at LT and the line still fails because they lack cohesion.  

The team got a lot better with the additions. 

Our receivers should be solid.  Foster will get even better.  Zay may be ready to become a great player.  The guy from the CFL is a talent.  We signed John Brown and Beasley.  We're much better.  The OL should be vastly improved.  I think Josh Allen is going to be a superstar.  

If they can trade down and get extra picks, there is huge value in rounds 2-4.  There's a running back to be drafted.  Don't be shocked if it's one of the Alabama kids.  

I'm excited.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He hasn't just claimed it. He's been judicious as hell.

And when you have $75 mill, and you spend it judiciously, you can bring in a lot of pretty decent players, fill a lot of holes.

And when you start talking about division crowns this early, you make people wonder if there are vast cases of Kool-Aid in your storerooms.

I like how they're doing things a great deal. But they still have a lot to prove. I expect improvement, though. I think it's legit to expect far fewer areas of obvious weakness this year. But we still have a 2nd year QB and an OL that's never worked together. Playoffs seem possible this year, but far from a sure thing.

i am so excited for this year!...because for once we have no qb competition or questions. they will hopefully get the starting 5 olinemen established early in camp.

for the 1st time in many years we should be able to have a very solid, cohesive training camp and pre season.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's fair to criticize McD.

He's has a pathetic 10-15 record since a quick 5-2 start in his first season............included in there numerous massive blowout losses...........including the Peterman catastrophe's........and he's somehow managed the near impossible by raising the bar for a Bills coach being uncompetitive against Bill Belichick.  

He and Beane have shown an ability to self-evaluate wrt personnel and then make changes so hopefully there are no more Peterman's in his future and he figures out how to stop reflexively bending over at mere the sight of BB and the Pats. 

The decision to stay with Peterman for as long as he did, certainly hurt his credibility. So far his coaching ability is primarily defensive.  So I believe he can maintain a solid D throughout his tenure, but it will be DaBoll and this offense that determines McD's fate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Again, it's not about full buy in and effort.  Nice guys get that from their roster often.

The other things you mention are my concerns as well.  This guy volunteered to die on the Nate Peterman hill....twice. 

Yeah, I don't think it's that he's a "nice guy" -- he earns their respect.

The Peterman thing is still inexplicable...I'd like to sit down with McD over a beer and really find out what that was all about.

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Im sorry your posts are so bad

He takes a team that sheds salary for draft picks in his first year and makes the playoffs

Last year.....now in full blown rebiuld mode and dead cap sandwich he wins more games then he should have......

He has been working with chicken salad......now has a better choice of meat and YOU dont think he can work with it

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

We have 3 games against the 2 biggest tanking teams in the league (Miami 2x, NYG) 

I'll go ahead and say it. We absolutely have to win all 3 and I'll go further. We need to win all 3 convincingly. 

3 hours ago, HiddenInLight said:

I believe we still need to spend a bit more this year to avoid having to pay a fine to the NFLPA.  Some rule about not spending X amount over a three year period.  That means we can probably expect either one more big deal or a few smaller ones.

Everyone needs to stop bringing up this 89% spending floor rule.  It will have no effect on the Bills.

1st off it will not be calculated until all spending is done after the 2020 season.

It's the accumulative spending in cash over the 4 seasons starting in 2017.

It is cash spending not cap space.  NFL teams have bean counters who know these things.

NO TEAM has ever paid money to the NFLPA and none ever will.

47 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im sorry your posts are so bad

He takes a team that sheds salary for draft picks in his first year and makes the playoffs

Last year.....now in full blown rebiuld mode and dead cap sandwich he wins more games then he should have......

He has been working with chicken salad......now has a better choice of meat and YOU dont think he can work with it

What’s wrong with chicken salad?

• Like (+1) 1