Unreliable Accounts For Bills News and Rumors

12 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

That’s the tip of the iceberg.  When you check Twitter, it’s just as crazy if not worse.  Ditto for the multiple Bills fan pages.  Some fans.....

Not to worry...our government is pushing Twitter, FB, and YouTube to implement idiot-proofing measures.

Like a lot of publishing disciplines they probably should build in, fact checking, peer review, and reputation grades.

I am sure the gullable will just flock to the next uncensored source of misinformation.

Hard to legislate out "the stuup", and folks are always tripping over themselves to have that inside scoope who cares where the info is coming from.

From P T Barnum to H G Wells there has never been a shortage of gullible people.

12 hours ago, NoSaint said:

The flip side is.... solid stuff can fall apart.

Sometimes there’s a trade very close to done and the rug gets pulled out from under it. Or the jets try to sign a free agent.

Yeah right, that is the ultimate cop out for making up any fake stories.

The Bills almost had a deal in place to trade 2 first round picks to New England for Tom Brady....but it fell apart!

57 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yeah right, that is the ultimate cop out for making up any fake stories.

The Bills almost had a deal in place to trade 2 first round picks to New England for Tom Brady....but it fell apart!

Tis the life if you want insight into the process.

It’s easy to stretch the truth to create more interesting stories but also easy for the truth to change quickly. It’s not always easy to differentiate. 

36 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Tis the life if you want insight into the process.

It’s easy to stretch the truth to create more interesting stories but also easy for the truth to change quickly. It’s not always easy to differentiate. 

I see what you mean.  It just takes one thing to fall through and that gives people an opportunity to say a journalist is speculating.

Still, I just don’t think the Joe Marino’s or Kevin Massare’s of the world have any rea sources.  They are basically fans with a blog.

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think Kevin Massare is deliberately spreading misinformation. Here's just a guy trying to get a toe hold in the sports journalism biz. He mostly reports on UB stuff.

So then what do you attribute his fake news on Beane making a trade during tampering period?

I think he’s just speculating, yet so many fans are quick to think knows something.  I don’t think he does.

There’s a simple solution to all of this. Calm down. Does it really matter if you know if the Bills sign a free agent within 30 seconds or two hours later when it is official?

Why is there a need for a sports inside scoop when you can wait 5 minutes for the outside truth?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I see what you mean.  It just takes one thing to fall through and that gives people an opportunity to say a journalist is speculating.

Still, I just don’t think the Joe Marino’s or Kevin Massare’s of the world have any rea sources.  They are basically fans with a blog.

There are certainly plenty of those and ol chinstrap beard massare I think connects dots far more than shares secrets.

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

There are certainly plenty of those and ol chinstrap beard massare I think connects dots far more than shares secrets.

Actually I think both journalists and bloggers (posing a journalists) try connecting the dots and reporting a rumor all the time

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think Kevin Massare is deliberately spreading misinformation. Here's just a guy trying to get a toe hold in the sports journalism biz. He mostly reports on UB stuff.

Yup. He also does a lot of work with Eric Turner on Cover 1. His analysis is usually ok, maybe just not his inside scoops. Overall, he's not horrendous 

10 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

So then what do you attribute his fake news on Beane making a trade during tampering period?

I think he’s just speculating, yet so many fans are quick to think knows something.  I don’t think he does.

He's just spitballing, or he got a tip from someone full of it  I recall Pat Moran " betting his daughter" on a Bills story that turned out wrong. I don't think some guys are malicious. Just desperate for that rep-making scoop. 

Here's an example of a time it did work out. We all remember when Sal Capaccio was doing his online "Coach Sal" shows from his basement (or his mom's basement as many joked.) Well he was the guy who first learned that Terrell Owens was joining the Bills. He went on social media with that scoop, took a ton of crap for it, but was proven right. It probably led to him getting his gig at WGR.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

I’ve been surprised to see the tremendous amount of fake information about the Bills and Free Agency over the past few days.

The first one is a Bills Fans Page of Facebook that has about 30,000 members.  They are constantly promoting a low rent fan blog called 716SportsPost.com.  They don’t report anything of note themselves and instead paraphrase what other reporters aboard.  

I’m also going to lump a blogger named Kevin Massare here too.  He throws out all kind of “insider” information and it seems like a lot of it never comes to fruition.  Here is one example:

IMHO

people are dumb and will repeat most anything they hear just to be heard themselves.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:52 PM, CaptnCoke11 said:

And most people on here eat it up like it’s gospel 

Dunkirk Don should be a lesson to Bills fans.  

9 hours ago, SDS said:

There’s a simple solution to all of this. Calm down. Does it really matter if you know if the Bills sign a free agent within 30 seconds or two hours later when it is official?

Why is there a need for a sports inside scoop when you can wait 5 minutes for the outside truth?

The Microwave society and a need for 15 seconds of fame. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

8 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Actually I think both journalists and bloggers (posing a journalists) try connecting the dots and reporting a rumor all the time

I think the legit journalists do it but are usually way more measured in their wording when they do. Especially compared to random fan bloggers. I’ve often seen fans run with tweets where the phrasing is obvious that it’s more speculative than inside info.

Ultimately, the whole culture around news creation and consumption is a bit of a hot mess on both sides. 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think the legit journalists do it but are usually way more measured in their wording when they do. Especially compared to random fan bloggers. I’ve often seen fans run with tweets where the phrasing is obvious that it’s more speculative than inside info.

Ultimately, the whole culture around news creation and consumption is a bit of a hot mess on both sides. 

Person A tweeets, Person B retweets A's tweeets,  Person C retweets A's and B's tweeets, and on and on it goes.  

Is it really better to write a retraction / correction after you blew the story> 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

He's just spitballing, or he got a tip from someone full of it  I recall Pat Moran " betting his daughter" on a Bills story that turned out wrong. I don't think some guys are malicious. Just desperate for that rep-making scoop. 

Here's an example of a time it did work out. We all remember when Sal Capaccio was doing his online "Coach Sal" shows from his basement (or his mom's basement as many joked.) Well he was the guy who first learned that Terrell Owens was joining the Bills. He went on social media with that scoop, took a ton of crap for it, but was proven right. It probably led to him getting his gig at WGR.

You are onto something.  “Desperate” is right.  But that’s only because they don’t the connections of a legit writer.  To me it’s annoying to see them sondesoerste to make a name for themselves that they’ll share unreliable information, which many fans take as authentic.

I think your point about “Coach Sal” makes sense, though I never got the impression he was just spitballing.  He claims that he had a source in Buffalo or OBD which makes sense given his background.  I think someone tipped him off about the flight.  I just never got the impression he was throwing it out there in hopes of gaining credibility.  It seemed that he had good intel 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

I’ve been surprised to see the tremendous amount of fake information about the Bills and Free Agency over the past few days.

The first one is a Bills Fans Page of Facebook that has about 30,000 members.  They are constantly promoting a low rent fan blog called 716SportsPost.com.  They don’t report anything of note themselves and instead paraphrase what other reporters aboard.  

I’m also going to lump a blogger named Kevin Massare here too.  He throws out all kind of “insider” information and it seems like a lot of it never comes to fruition.  Here is one example:

For anyone who still follows Massare,, I just wanted to point out that he is so shady that he went back into his timeline and deleted the above-referenced tweet about a trade going down before the tampering window concluded and then deleted all retweets relating to that. Don't waste your time following clowns like this.