Thoughts on the front office

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

My head agrees, my heart wants more lol

They might still add a big time edge rusher. I think they are done adding WRs. They might add one more in the draft. 

I would expect the draft to start with DT and TE now though. 

21 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I loved what we were doing until I saw the OBJ deal - We need to grab one elite offensive player IMO

Too high of a price for sure, plus OBJ is not a process guy. He has also had a number of injuries since coming in the league. Glad someone else gave up the farm for him.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we are finally getting the chance to see what the brianstrust can do with some cash. Having a quarterback allows them to ignore that position and really focus on targeting specific upgrades for the team. Now I don't know if it's going to work, but it will all hinge how Allen develops. I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Too high of a price for sure, plus OBJ is not a process guy. He has also had a number of injuries since coming in the league. Glad someone else gave up the farm for him.

Oh it was - I do like Bell and covet a big time pass catcher (TE or WR)

I also get this:

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Their first Draft was extremely well done.  

Last season, without much money, they seemed to try to make chicken salad out of chicken **** and as a result, some moves didn’t work out and they looked a bit foolish. 

However, in their first real offseason, as part of “the process”...... Wow.  Strong. 

What happened to the first 2 off-seasons?  Not the process?

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

We will see about their player evaluation abilities with the addition of these free agents and, among other things, trading up for Allen and Edmunds last year.  Ultimately, performance on the field this year will be the best way to assess this front office.  I have concerns about overpaying for what I would have thought were tier two and tier three level free agents and the injury history with some of these players, but we will see.

People have short memories.  Their free agent moves last year, as others have pointed out, were not good.  

You'd hope they got their stuff straight this year and those signings of guys not named Morse will bear a better return. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll say this about Beane.  Dude must never sleep.  Seems like he’s in on every every player who’s available or might be available.  In addition to not being out-worked by anyone, he also seems to have great relationships with other GM’s and player agents.  Beane seems like a rising star but it’s all gonna come down to Josh Allen for him.  

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

What happened to the first 2 off-seasons?  Not the process?

People have short memories.  Their free agent moves last year, as others have pointed out, were not good.  

You'd hope they got their stuff straight this year and those signings of guys not named Morse will bear a better return. 

Absolutly part of the process, but it’s tough to judge anything when they were in “tear it down mode”.   That did that very well I suppose.  

Edited by SCBills

On paper they upgraded a bunch of positions without getting saddled with long term commitments.  Beane seems to be intent in not getting back into salary cap hell.  Lot to like so far and they still have plenty of cap space to chase even a splash signing.  Draft should be a lot of fun since they now have a lot more flexibility

3 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

Avid bills fan for 30+ years. As such I stumbled on this website after the BBMB shutdown ( very thankful). 

I read much more negative thoughts on the current front office than positive thoughts. Especially in regards to “filling out the team”.

Im not going to push anyone’s buttons, I’m just curious to see current thoughts regarding the teams front office from all of you up until this point.

Im very optimistic, I believe it’s tremendously easy to spot FO folks that are in completely over their head (Whaley, Russ).

Granted our newly acquired players have not taken a snap yet, however I feel as if the team is on a uptick with much more actual functional talent as opposed to yesteryear hype.

Whats your thoughts?

This past year when i was looking up and down the roster i was thinking to myself where is our Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Darren Sproles, Austin Ekler type of player and then the Bills go out and sign 2 of those types of players in Cole Beasley and John Brown, I'm ecstatic about John Brown because not only is he a speed demon but he has a great set of hands to go along with it and Beasley catches everything. These 2 players are the types of guys the Patriots, Chargers, Eagles and the other good solid playoff caliber teams get and I wouldn't be surprised if we get more like them at positions like RB, CB who are versatile and bring other things to the table.

I'm a little bit I don't want to say disappointed about the OL moves because I'm not, I love the Mitch Morse signing and he deserved the highest C pay, the dude hasn't allowed a sack since 2015, he will anchor this OL and were set there, I'm good with Dawkins at LT I think he'll bounce back from last season but the rest of the OL is all based off potential, The G we picked up from the Jets got straight up benched and he wasn't good on the Jets at all, I really like the G from the Raiders Jon Feliciano pickup but they are banking that he'll be a starting caliber G and that remains to be seen, not saying he can't but if not then what's the plan? Same for the RT pickup of Ty Nsekhe, the guy seems awesome and the signs all point to a decent starting RT but what if he isn't? I know we have the draft coming up but again these kids are potential also and will be learning on the fly. I'd love to see a pickup of Quinton Spain or Darryl Williams to put that at ease. We'd then have 3 legit starting OL and 2 potential guysat said positions but i still really like the moves.

I love the CB Kevin Johnson signing, I followed him in college, he is an excellent fit here and will be a fan favorite for sure, paired with White and the other Johnson plus Hyde and Poyer that can be a dominant group. The only concern is Johnson has never been able to stay healthy and it's always been his downfall so heres to hoping because that was a very under the radar pick that could become the best one of the bunch

I wasn't a fan of the frank Gore pickup, I get he still has some life left and  he's a leader but for 2M I would have spent it elsewhere and i still hope we draft one in the mid rounds, maybe an Austin Ekler type. 

We have Ezekiel Ansah coming in tomorrow for a workout, if his medical checks out I'd love to sign him, again some medical issues but we need pass rushers in a very bad way and still think we draft one also. All these contracts are front loaded in case some backfire we have the option to bail on all of them so Beane has done a masterful job getting guys who fit what were trying to do here and we still have plenty of room left to make moves if necessary I'm very pleased at what they've done so far.