Thoughts on the front office

Avid bills fan for 30+ years. As such I stumbled on this website after the BBMB shutdown ( very thankful). 

I read much more negative thoughts on the current front office than positive thoughts. Especially in regards to “filling out the team”.

Im not going to push anyone’s buttons, I’m just curious to see current thoughts regarding the teams front office from all of you up until this point.

Im very optimistic, I believe it’s tremendously easy to spot FO folks that are in completely over their head (Whaley, Russ).

Granted our newly acquired players have not taken a snap yet, however I feel as if the team is on a uptick with much more actual functional talent as opposed to yesteryear hype.

Whats your thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The GM and coach are on the same page, which is not always the case, and is so important for an organization's success.  Without eating all of that dead money last year, this free agency doesn't happen.  They have a plan and they are executing it.  They got their QB.  They have a solid defense in place.  Now they are putting an offense together on reasonable, team friendly deals. 

He has acquired all these free agents and is still sitting on 10 draft picks, including a top 10 pick.   Lastly, they are projected to have the most cap space in the league next year so we won't have to watch all of our own great players walk (which has been a back breaker for this franchise for years) and we should be able to continue to add talent to the roster.

I'm a fan.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Their first Draft was extremely well done.  

Last season, without much money, they seemed to try to make chicken salad out of chicken **** and as a result, some moves didn’t work out and they looked a bit foolish. 

However, in their first real offseason, as part of “the process”...... Wow.  Strong. 

Edited by SCBills

We will see about their player evaluation abilities with the addition of these free agents and, among other things, trading up for Allen and Edmunds last year.  Ultimately, performance on the field this year will be the best way to assess this front office.  I have concerns about overpaying for what I would have thought were tier two and tier three level free agents and the injury history with some of these players, but we will see.

Edited by jahnyc

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

About 40 million spent in two days...this tells me we should overtake the Patriots now.

I don't see it.

Nobody has overtaken the patriots including one of the best teams in the nfl the rams. Until Brady is gone it doesn’t matter if we have drew brees, Julio Jones, Todd Gurley, or a Madden roster. If that is your barometer to which you measure NFL teams there are currently 31 failed FOs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

You have to admit that they have had a plan since they walked in here, and it looks like they have been given the time to implement it..

Compare it to Rex and Whaley years that preceded them... ( things seems a lot more "ad lib" so to speak..)

This Free Agency was the part I was concerned about but I think they have done good so far ( not great, but I am a hard marker) with hopefully another big name still to come...

Lot of the players they have bought have upside but also can be discarded relatively quickly if they don't work out.. ( maybe they might have learnt a lesson from Star last year perhaps?... )

I am pretty confident that they will draft well again this year so its my expectation that the team is very  competitive in 2019...

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Nobody has overtaken the patriots including one of the best teams in the nfl the rams. Until Brady is gone it doesn’t matter if we have drew brees, Julio Jones, Todd Gurley, or a Madden roster. If that is your barometer to which you measure NFL teams there are currently 31 failed FOs. 

But 40 million in spending should at the least,make us a playoff team.

I love this front office, they seem organized and deliver on their plans. Even last year was calculated to acquire Josh Allen.

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I loved what we were doing until I saw the OBJ deal - We need to grab one elite offensive player IMO

Morse was our elite offence addition. Our offence looks solid right now. We need to turn our attention to the draft at this point. Maybe one more solid signing on defence.

57 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Avid bills fan for 30+ years. As such I stumbled on this website after the BBMB shutdown ( very thankful). 

I read much more negative thoughts on the current front office than positive thoughts. Especially in regards to “filling out the team”.

Im not going to push anyone’s buttons, I’m just curious to see current thoughts regarding the teams front office from all of you up until this point.

Im very optimistic, I believe it’s tremendously easy to spot FO folks that are in completely over their head (Whaley, Russ).

Granted our newly acquired players have not taken a snap yet, however I feel as if the team is on a uptick with much more actual functional talent as opposed to yesteryear hype.

Whats your thoughts?

You were on BBMB and you have optimism?

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Whats your thoughts?

You make a very good point.  Some Bills fans will always lament for the past no matter what.  You’ll hear “We never should have gotten rid of __________” whenever a former Bills player or coach doesn’t anything of significance.  This even happened with Nick Freaking O’Leary!  Give me a break

Beane deserves more of a shot than SOME fans have given him.  On the other hand, he does have a lot to prove still.  But the fact is, he made the playoffs for the 1st time in 2 decades in his 1st year.  

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

I love this front office, they seem organized and deliver on their plans. Even last year was calculated to acquire Josh Allen.

Morse was our elite offence addition. Our offence looks solid right now. We need to turn our attention to the draft at this point. Maybe one more solid signing on defence.

My head agrees, my heart wants more lol