John Miller - Sigh

13 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

To give you an idea of how wrong you are about Miller he gave up 33 QB pressures last year vs Wyatt Teller who only allowed 8 pressures in 8 games.

Buffalo graded as one of the worst run blocking units in the NFL in 2018 (30th)and run blocking is Miller's strong suit and yet he graded at (54.2). His real issue is he is slow to come out of his stance and can get manhandled. 

If the guy was worth a damn he would have been resigned by the Bills, simple as that. 

Or he would have signed by anybody else. The fact that a ton of money is being thrown around to depth players and a 25 year old guard with 47 starts under his belt is still sitting out there, available, should tell you something about his level of play. He sucks. 

3 hours ago, GG said:

If Miller was so good why did the team put Sirles in the line up trying to get a live body on the field?

Miller is not that good. All I am saying is he was best OG on the tam last year and I’m not convinced the two guys they signed arecany better.  And I’m fairly certain Sirles saw the field the same way Teller did, the season was lost so what did it matter. They were just giving other guys reps.

9 hours ago, Turk71 said:

He was the Bills 2nd highest rated lineman behind Dawkins last year on pff and their best guard by a longshot, sad as that may be. 

Who CARES? how many times did we see him pinch on a DT and it was like slow motion for him watching the ILB/OLB go between him and the RT? Too OFTEN! His PFF is average and his play with Buffalo was Sloppy at best.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I watched plenty. None of them are even average but Miller was the best last year.  Teller was the worst but he needed to play after they were eliminated. Miller didnt even dress for most games in 2017 so obviously you didnt watch much game film. Castillo chose Ducasse over Miller, but Miller was a better player than Ducasse in 2018. Not by much but still better.   

I will be honest I didnt watch Spencer Long with the Jets but everything Iread said he was garabge as a center and only marginally better as a guard.

Sure those games you watched were Bills' games?

13 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I know he is a free agent, but WTH? Seemingly he had a plug-and-play resume and did well as a rook. I know schemes/staffs change, but he was a third round pick. I would say 2-4th rounds are generally the "safe zones" for OL. Early in his career A Lynn was wanting to get him to the PRO BOWL (!)

Just saying: as a team bereft in OL talent, what on earth happened to this guy? He may get a small deal somewhere - maybe LA - but clearly peaked early? Maybe was beneficiary of Woodcognito? Seemed like he was down hill since this story...

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/watch-story-bills-ol-john-miller-a-pro-bowl-snub-maybe-20161223

"When asked who else he would send to the Pro Bowl from his unit, Lynn didn’t hesitate in naming Miller that man.

“I’d send Johnny Miller. In a heartbeat,” Lynn said."

He was thinking of this guy:

image.jpeg.c39f553bba372d6d1bfef165af227143.jpeg

i think we draft a tackle in one of the first 3 rounds.  maybe a G as well (or sign).

this would open the gate to having new tackle at RT, dawkins inside at LG (where i am becoming convinced he would dominate) and ty at LT where he can last for a couple few years until new tackle mans the left side (or dawkins wins it back or what have you).

Ty Dawk, morse, teller/whoever, good rookie

is a muuuuuuuch better line than what we paraded around last year

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

For his choke job in week 16 against the Ravens (at home) to lock up the top seed in the AFCE...or the humiliating dismantling by the patriots in the playoffs?

Lynn is just another in a long line of Chargers HCs that win a lot of games, but not the ones that count.

You would pick him over Reich?  Payton? Nagy? Even  Pete Carrol or McVay?  No you wouldn't, because that would be silly.

So silly. Payton and Carrol and McVay and Nagy and Reich have all lost crucial games and lost in the divisional round or earlier.

By your definition a good coach has to win the Superbowl Everytime they make the playoffs. God forbid they win a lot of games. That just puts them in another line if other coaches.. that win a lot lol

17 hours ago, HansLanda said:

This could be true - but the guys closest to the ball on OL/DL should be able to perform in most any scheme - zero tech NG not withstanding. 

I'm not sure this is true.  I did some digging to try to find it and couldn't - one of the guys on Buffalo Rumblings did a piece 2 years ago on how Castillo's blocking technique differed from what Kromer was asking the guys to do and how Ducasse actually was better than Miller in what Castillo was asking them to do (not good, just better than Miller).

I think Miller really struggled to use the techniques Castillo insisted upon and it totally changed his trajectory from "trending upward" to "what's the point?"

1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

So silly. Payton and Carrol and McVay and Nagy and Reich have all lost crucial games and lost in the divisional round or earlier.

By your definition a good coach has to win the Superbowl Everytime they make the playoffs. God forbid they win a lot of games. That just puts them in another line if other coaches.. that win a lot lol

You really think Anthony Lynn is a better coach (this past season) than McVay, Payton and Nagy...and Reich.

You are mischaracterizing my comment on Lynn--I obviously never implied what you are saying.  I was clear as to my criticism of Lynn.  He choked away his fortune in 2 games down the stretch.  In fact he almost lost to epically bad Lamar Jackson (again) in the playoffs due to his and his QBs offensive ineptitude.

Nice try.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You really think Anthony Lynn is a better coach (this past season) than McVay, Payton and Nagy...and Reich.

You are mischaracterizing my comment on Lynn--I obviously never implied what you are saying.  I was clear as to my criticism of Lynn.  He choked away his fortune in 2 games down the stretch.  In fact he almost lost to epically bad Lamar Jackson (again) in the playoffs due to his and his QBs offensive ineptitude.

Nice try.

Okay so you're just full on Skip Bayless-ing a thread about what you think of Lynn lol. It's not hard to characterize your comment. Has he not been a good coach last year such that his opinion on John Miller several years ago lends no credence?

Beating Lamar Jackson in the playoffs last year makes him a poor coach.. 

I don't even care, John Miller sucks. I have no idea why there's a reason to start trashing Lynn lol. That's the Skip tactic. Going down the pick-games-to-fit-narratives rabbit hole we can discredit Belicheck as a coach for losing to the Marriota Titans last year. It makes no sense to diss a CoTY candidate.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Okay so you're just full on Skip Bayless-ing a thread about what you think of Lynn lol. It's not hard to characterize your comment. Has he not been a good coach last year such that his opinion on John Miller several years ago lends no credence?

Beating Lamar Jackson in the playoffs last year makes him a poor coach.. 

I don't even care, John Miller sucks. I have no idea why there's a reason to start trashing Lynn lol. That's the Skip tactic. Going down the pick-games-to-fit-narratives rabbit hole we can discredit Belicheck as a coach for losing to the Marriota Titans last year. It makes no sense to diss a CoTY candidate.

Miller's a JAG.

I was then facetiously linking that to Lynn as a coach because.....I don't think he's a good coach.  Had a great team looking at the top seed in the AFC...then collapses over 3 crucial  games (see?  it's not just "picking a few games to make a point") and is out.  Go back ands review the 2 Baltimore games and the NE game and tell me how well he did executing whatever his game plan was for those 3 games.

COTY talk for that guy is lunacy.  I mean, it's a joke.  That was my point.  You haven't even offered a counter to what I said. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

COTY talk for that guy is lunacy.  I mean, it's a joke.  That was my point.  You haven't even offered a counter to what I said. 

He had the second most votes for CoTY

Nagy earned the accolade with 24 votes. Anthony Lynn (10), Frank Reich (8), Andy Reid (5), Pete Carroll (2) and Sean Payton (1) also had votes.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P