John Miller - Sigh

I know he is a free agent, but WTH? Seemingly he had a plug-and-play resume and did well as a rook. I know schemes/staffs change, but he was a third round pick. I would say 2-4th rounds are generally the "safe zones" for OL. Early in his career A Lynn was wanting to get him to the PRO BOWL (!)

Just saying: as a team bereft in OL talent, what on earth happened to this guy? He may get a small deal somewhere - maybe LA - but clearly peaked early? Maybe was beneficiary of Woodcognito? Seemed like he was down hill since this story...

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/watch-story-bills-ol-john-miller-a-pro-bowl-snub-maybe-20161223

"When asked who else he would send to the Pro Bowl from his unit, Lynn didn’t hesitate in naming Miller that man.

“I’d send Johnny Miller. In a heartbeat,” Lynn said."

• Sad 1

Just now, HansLanda said:

I know he is a free agent, but WTH? Seemingly he had a plug-and-play resume and did well as a rook. I know schemes/staffs change, but he was a third round pick. I would say 2-4th rounds are generally the "safe zones" for OL. Early in his career A Lynn was wanting to get him to the PRO BOWL (!)

Just saying: as a team bereft in OL talent, what on earth happened to this guy? He may get a small deal somewhere - maybe LA - but clearly peaked early? Maybe was beneficiary of Woodcognito? Seemed like he was down hill since this story...

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/watch-story-bills-ol-john-miller-a-pro-bowl-snub-maybe-20161223

"When asked who else he would send to the Pro Bowl from his unit, Lynn didn’t hesitate in naming Miller that man.

So Miller to Chargers? They could use a guard. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

He sucks.  Let him walk

I know - but seemed like a promising longterm guard...and either didn't adapt to new schemes and/or staff? Just seems like a complete waste yet someone that had NFL starting talent. 

5 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

He's good enough to play in the league as a fringe starter or backup.  I see him as the Russell Bodine of the guard position.  He can come in and give you decent guard play but unlike Tony Lynn I don't see him as a Pro Bowl players.

He will get signed over the next few weeks when these types of players usually do

1 minute ago, Rico said:

What happened? Another Whaley gem.

His drafts look worse and worse as the years go by.  I actually thought Miller was going to be good but he nosedived.  Not a good pick

1 minute ago, vincec said:

I think Roman's blocking schemes made a lot of the Bills OL look good. Groy, Kouandjio, Miller, Mills all looked very good those two season and subsequently looked like crap. Not a coincidence, IMO.

More like Juan Castillo's blocking schemes make every OL he's ever coached look like crap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, vincec said:

I think Roman's blocking schemes made a lot of the Bills OL look good. Groy, Kouandjio, Miller, Mills all looked very good those two season and subsequently looked like crap. Not a coincidence, IMO.

This could be true - but the guys closest to the ball on OL/DL should be able to perform in most any scheme - zero tech NG not withstanding. 

Just now, HansLanda said:

What is LOL? He should have been coach of the year. 

For his choke job in week 16 against the Ravens (at home) to lock up the top seed in the AFCE...or the humiliating dismantling by the patriots in the playoffs?

Lynn is just another in a long line of Chargers HCs that win a lot of games, but not the ones that count.

You would pick him over Reich?  Payton? Nagy? Even  Pete Carrol or McVay?  No you wouldn't, because that would be silly.

• Like (+1) 2