New Bills FA's have short-term contracts. Part of Beane's long term plans?

Out of all the FA's the Bills have signed so far, I noticed Morse and Beasley's contracts are the longest at four years, otherwise the rest are three years or less. Also, assuming Josh Allen turns out to be the QB we all hope he can turn out to be, he will have four years left on his rookie contract (with the Bills picking up his fifth year option). By that time, Beane will have to pay Allen well over $100M on a five or six year contract.  I like how Beane is being very calculated with his current crop of FA signings, knowing he has about four years where he can spend in numerous areas, while also setting the team up for these contracts to expire when Allen is ready for his big payday. I'm interested in seeing how Beane's plan will unfold over the next five years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Agreed. I imagine Beane’s plan is to replace the new FA’s through the draft by the time new FA’s contracts expire.

Or if someone stops producing,you can show them to the door.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Out of all the FA's the Bills have signed so far, I noticed Morse and Beasley's contracts are the longest at four years, otherwise the rest are three years or less. Also, assuming Josh Allen turns out to be the QB we all hope he can turn out to be, he will have four years left on his rookie contract (with the Bills picking up his fifth year option). By that time, Beane will have to pay Allen well over $100M on a five or six year contract.  I like how Beane is being very calculated with his current crop of FA signings, knowing he has about four years where he can spend in numerous areas, while also setting the team up for these contracts to expire when Allen is ready for his big payday. I'm interested in seeing how Beane's plan will unfold over the next five years. 

I agree! "TRUST THE PROCESS!" #playoffcaliber:beer:

Edited by 315Mafia
  • Like (+1) 1

Some contracts, like Kroft's, are paying for potential rather than past history. I'd bet money there is an out there after year 1 if he doesn't pan out. You can't get into a long-term contract with a guy with concussion history like Morse (3 in 4 years). It's actually pretty risky as it is. I'd also wager that most of these contracts can be walked away from after 2 years with little dead money. We'll see in the next few days when figures are released. Front-loading now while you have the space is prudent. 

Beane is killing IMO. There might be a miss in these signings and I'm sure we'll hear all about it if there is, but I can't fault him yet. There looks to be more coming and still have the draft to add more talent.

I'm a lot more confident in McDermott than I am in the crazy eyed Jets coach to bring the fight to the Pats.

Edited by downunderbill
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, downunderbill said:

Beane is killing IMO. There might be a miss in these signings and I'm sure we'll hear all about it if there is, but I can't fault him yet. There looks to be more coming and still have the draft to add more talent.

I'm a lot more confident in McDermott than I am in the crazy eyed Jets coach to bring the fight to the Pats.

I agree. While a couple of big name/big contract additions would have been flashy and sparked a lot of short-term excitement, I like how Beane is upgrading the current talent level on the team as a whole without breaking the bank (plus still has room for more).