Report - Bills talking to Hou for Clowney

MAJBobby

I think trading high picks (which I consider 1st and 2nd rounders) for vets looking for huge $$$ is bad practice in the NFL.

Draft picks are gold because the rookie contracts are so low.

Just think of the value of contracts like Matt Milano, Dion Dawkins......you're literally paying .10-.20 on the dollar for what that player would be worth on the open market.  You are forgoing the opportunity to get a player at a great price only to hand over an astronomical money to a player on his second contract. It's sexy and exciting when it happens, but in the long run it's bad business.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Estro said:

I think trading high picks (which I consider 1st and 2nd rounders) for vets looking for huge $$$ is bad practice in the NFL.

Draft picks are gold because the rookie contracts are so low.

Just think of the value of contracts like Matt Milano, Dion Dawkins......you're literally paying .10-.20 on the dollar for what that player would be worth on the open market.  You are forgoing the opportunity to get a player at a great price only to hand over an astronomical money to a player on his second contract. It's sexy and exciting when it happens, but in the long run it's bad business.

If you do it consistently it can be. But in spots it is smart. The draft is all projection. No one knows if anyone will truly be any good once they transition to the nfl. Using a pick here on there on a proven commodity, even if you have to pay more for the player, is not bad practice imo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

If you do it consistently it can be. But in spots it is smart. The draft is all projection. No one knows if anyone will truly be any good once they transition to the nfl. Using a pick here on there on a proven commodity, even if you have to pay more for the player, is not bad practice imo.

To follow up on this, with all of the additions we have made so far and with our pretty stout defense, we really don't need ten picks. I think now would be a great time to package some picks and players for better players like Clowney. 

I don't  think 10 rookies make the 53. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m pretty sure every non QB in the league is “available” A first can get you almost anything. It’s sickening how much NFL teams overvalue draft picks.

They have Watt and Mercilus.  They are going to need to sign Watson in a couple of years and they might want to get something for him now.  It is likely bull#### though so I don't think we have to worry about it.

44 minutes ago, mcdamit said:

not so fast .  they are going to be tempted by one of the d tackles 

Fair point McDamit

I think McBeane knows we need to score more points on offense and our defense in already in good shape.  All of these moves means nothing if Allen doesn't continue to grow.  Adding an elite pass catching, hard blocking TE is a need on this team and will be big for Allen.  A great TE can be the focus of a successful offense in today's NFL.  Drafting Hoskenson would address a true position of need and wouldn't be a reach at #9.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If the Bills grab either Ansah or Clowney in free agency you can go ahead and pre-order your Hockenson Bills jersey now.

Clowney would cost that first rounder likely. So you could cancel that Hockenson jersey.