Is this the most active Bills free agency period ever?

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I can’t remember one. Been a fan for 35 years. We have had single players like B Paul and M Williams who were single big signings. But nothing like this volume. Can people now see the process?

Took me a solid minute to figure out you were referencing Bryce Paup. I kept saying, “Who in the hell did we sign named Paul.” ?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Haha (+1) 1

Marv and DJ's first go-round in 2006 UFA was about the same quantity of UFAs:

DT Larry Tripplett

TE Robert Royal

C  Melvin Fowler

WR Peerless Price

G  Tutan Reyes

S  Matt Bowen

CB Kiwaukee Thomas

QB Craig Nall

RB Anthony Thomas

WR/KR Andre Davis

But that wasn't the same in terms of quality. At least on the surface it wasn't. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The volume has been about the same as last year.........but last year none of them ended up playing particularly well and 1/3 of them didn't even make it out of TC:

Vontae

Lotulelei

Murphy

McCarron

Bodine

Newhouse

Ivory

Kerley

Phil Gaines

Paid a lot more for this years group and got some better player IMO.......... but activity-wise they expected all of last years signings to compete for starting gigs too and it didn't work out well at all.

Wow that is a horrible list of signings. I guess the only one that really contributed was star. The rest all busts. I really hope this years FA class is not the same. 

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Up to 7 new starters on offense so far this off-season.  Nobody can complain when we get no compensatory picks in 2020.  

Do we have to give up draft picks now because too many FAs?

15 minutes ago, wppete said:

Wow that is a horrible list of signings. I guess the only one that really contributed was star. The rest all busts. I really hope this years FA class is not the same. 

Yeah the REALITY is that Brandon Beane has been terrible wrt pro personnel acquisitions.   TERRIBLE.

Murphy is the only player with any upside left from that 2018 UFA list of dead-money walkin'.

I think this class is WAY better.

And I like filling needs with vets so they don't have to draft for need.........and hopefully drafting and UDFA'ing BPA they find replacements for the inevitable busts from this class the way Wallace replaced Vontae.

But the GM is the same guy that acquired KB and all those turds so I think it's fair to trust but verify Beane's process.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

But not a single big name guy 

Since you, by nature, overpay in FA we fill holes (Poyer and Hype was classic) and draft our future big names. Jets took the opposite approach. Hope it burns them! Spent a fortune on a few guys, but still have a ton of holes to fill, and those guys need to be able to play too! 

I like it, but I’m sure some won’t. 

1 hour ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Are you seriously comparing those guys to the talent we’ve brought in this year 

No  I think he was comparing the activity. Which is pretty obvious given the thread it is posted in.

The activity is about the same in terms of numbers signed, the quality seems better, but the overspending is in line with last year as well. 

However who cares if they overspend if they produce? They will still have enough cap room next year, Shady will be off the books, and I think only Dawkins will be on a rookie contract that needs to be renegotiated.  

Now if they produce as poorly as Murphy, Bodine, Ivory, and McCarron did then we are screwed for 2019 and probably 2020.  

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The volume has been about the same as last year.........but last year none of them ended up playing particularly well and 1/3 of them didn't even make it out of TC:

Vontae

Lotulelei

Murphy

McCarron

Bodine

Newhouse

Ivory

Kerley

Phil Gaines

Paid a lot more for this years group and got some better player IMO.......... but activity-wise they expected all of last years signings to compete for starting gigs too and it didn't work out well at all.

Dude, keep banging that drum. Last year they had NO MONEY and these were stopgap signings to get them through the year. Comparing the quality (and intent) of the signings this year to last is pure folly and makes it seem as though you don’t understand basic finance. 

Beane had a plan. You didn’t see it. It’s ok. 

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Wasn’t Lawyer Milloy signed with that bunch as well?

Yes, he was!

I knew I was forgetting someone.

Tom Donahoe was odd when it came to the draft, but he nailed it for us in free agency.

Notice this about most of these players.  They are young veterans, who have made the grade in making a NFL roster, have a good bit of game experience, and were close to growing into a starting position.   Let the other teams do the development work to shift thu all the rookies. We can sift thu all these young players and grab ones that  look like they have a lot of upside.   Combine that with some good older players, who can fill holes for a year or two and we have a roster.  Those older players are on short term contracts and will be replaced by our own draft picks or next year's low cost, young veterans.