Brandon Beane Money Ball

wppete

I am pleased with what they have done. What I do think it shows though in them being so active is they do feel more pressure to win in 2019 than maybe some (myself included) suspected. I was in the 8-8 or a non-playoff 9-7 definitely sees them back in 2020. The sheer number of moves they have made suggests they feel that 9-7 (equalling year 1) is the minimum requirement. 

They have filled holes to the extent that when they go on the clock next month they genuinely can go BPA and not need filling. 

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am pleased with what they have done. What I do think it shows though in them being so active is they do feel more pressure to win in 2019 than maybe some (myself included) suspected. I was in the 8-8 or a non-playoff 9-7 definitely sees them back in 2020. The sheer number of moves they have made suggests they feel that 9-7 (equalling year 1) is the minimum requirement. 

They have filled holes to the extent that when they go on the clock next month they genuinely can go BPA and not need filling. 

Well, yeah.

For those that have recognized that this was always meant to be a 3-5 year rebuild with slashing all the players/contracts that they didnt believe fit this organization the first 2 years were designed to be the most painful. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Beane pitched Pegula of this plan of getting rid of some talent and dead cap space and that he would retool this team with a different philosophy not just from a culture standpoint but how they would do their contracts with players so not to stay anchored with them for years if the players didnt live up to expectations.  

Now that the slashing is largely done this was meant to be the year of the upswing in talent and there is pressure now to perform at a higher level than the first two years.  If they were to regress or even play similar level of football than this past year then Pegula will begin to lose trust and then they will be on the hot seat the following year.  

I think all indications show that we should be an improved offense.  I still think they will go after a quality DE lineman through either FA or a trade and will pick the BPA with their #9 which will also be a DL.

This topic is an excellent observation.  This really is Moneyball.  With the exception of Morse, these are all relative value signings, no big splashes but lots of very good players(according to most accounts) at reasonable prices with reasonable contract lengths.  We'll see if it works, but it is the antithesis of going for the ABs and Bells of the world.  I personally love it, but we will see how it turns out.  22 wins in a row like the Oakland As? 

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

This topic is an excellent observation.  This really is Moneyball.  With the exception of Morse, these are all relative value signings, no big splashes but lots of very good players(according to most accounts) at reasonable prices with reasonable contract lengths.  We'll see if it works, but it is the antithesis of going for the ABs and Bells of the world.  I personally love it, but we will see how it turns out.  22 wins in a row like the Oakland As? 

I'd settle for 19.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Success said:

If someone can tell me the last time splashy, overpaid signings helped a team win the Lombardi, I’m all ears.

This might be one of the most practical, smart FA periods I’ve sent this team have...

Exactly! all our moves so far are unsexy but badly needed pieces to fortify the teams depth.  I'm sure the draft will see us take the sexier options and let us stockpile more athleticism which is the better way to manage assets with regards to upside vs.cost.

It seems like this regime likes to get their stars in the draft and build them up. While bringingnin cost effective veterans with the right attitude to promote growth of the rookies.  Ita not a bad philosophy but sometimes you just have to pony up cash and bring talent in.  This year and next year we should be doing more of that. Evidence by that top shelf Center we just picked up

On 3/12/2019 at 6:55 PM, MJS said:

I think Beane has a couple more big moves up his sleeve, possibly trades. He can't let the off season go by without a big trade, right?

I see a trade happening on draft day but just don’t see it happening right now. I think he will let a few of the needy teams really feel the pressure come April. I do, however, think we land another FA or 2. The next few weeks he can let everything cool down- their isn’t many teams left with substantial cap room.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:26 PM, Success said:

If someone can tell me the last time splashy, overpaid signings helped a team win the Lombardi, I’m all ears.

This might be one of the most practical, smart FA periods I’ve sent this team have...

Peyton Manning, Marshawn Lynch, and Alshon Jeffrey are just 3 notable acquisitions that teams would not have won a super Bowl without in the last 5 years alone Darrelle Revis, and as much as it pains me to say it, Stephon Gilmore are honorable mentions.. Other teams like the Rams have risen to dominance through liberal use of FA.

This very common take is bad, for a lot of reasons. Winning a championship takes a bit of luck, but getting yourself in position to win a championship year in and year out is what skillful use of FA can and does accomplish.