Using remaining cap dollars for extensions

37 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just an FYI that Spotrac doesn't currently have the contract details for Gore, Kevin Johnson, or Ty Nsekhe, so those guys aren't included in that $45M total. So the real total leftover is less. It also doesn't account for the approximately $9M needed to sign our draft picks (as currently projected by Spotrac), and whatever other money we'd want to carry over into next year for signing guys mid-season as guys get hurt.

So I'm estimating $13Mil for those three guys so lets say $32Mil left...

Think they will want to keep $20Mil up their sleeve...

So if they like Ziggy Ansah that might just about be it for FA?

Further O line upgrades will need to happen in the draft...

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I'd like to see a G or edge guy still brought in.  But with remaining dollars I'd like to see some extensions, in particular for Hyde and Poyer.  They make an excellent tandem and extending them now would be a move that would help keep our D solid.   I'd even consider doing Tradaveous or Milano now.  Certainly nextyear though on them given they'll have around 100 million in space 

What are you talking about? Extending Someone would have ZERO effect on the cap this year. An extension is a contract in a future year. Unless they are ripping up thr current contract and giving out a new one but why would they do that now?

This post makes no sense on really any level.

I'd like to see a G or edge guy still brought in.  But with remaining dollars I'd like to see some extensions, in particular for Hyde and Poyer.  They make an excellent tandem and extending them now would be a move that would help keep our D solid.   I'd even consider doing Tradaveous or Milano now.  Certainly nextyear though on them given they'll have around 100 million in space 

I don't think Milano or Tre can't extend till after next season. 

I would like to see some 1yr deals now for players like Ansah or someone else of his caliber.  They have good yrs and we lose them we can start getting comp pks. 

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don't love Ansah.  However, I'd love to see him come in on a 1 year prove it deal.  This way it gives us some flexibility to make some decisions on him, Shaq and Murphy.  Then we pick the best combo of what we want (if any) beyond next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I wouldn't extend White until his contract is up. I wouldn't extend Milano until his rookie contract is up. No sense in paying more for a player you don't have too. 

White is a first round pick so ok, but Milano is grossly underpaid so they should reward him after his 3rd season.

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would still like to see Darryl Williams.......I would call it a day after Ziggy and Darryl

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Would still like to see Darryl Williams.......I would call it a day after Ziggy and Darryl

I would like that too, but they wont be able to squeeze them both in if the numbers earlier in the thread are correct...

Good points from folks here.  Isn't it nice they can look forward to having the $$ to keep guys?

...have not been in that position for a long, LONG time......wasn't it a couple of years ago where we had 23 UFA's because of the one year signings overload?....

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

What are you talking about? Extending Someone would have ZERO effect on the cap this year. An extension is a contract in a future year. Unless they are ripping up thr current contract and giving out a new one but why would they do that now?

This post makes no sense on really any level.

As OBD has $$ this year and next they may selectively take a proven player - say Jerry Hughes - and extend his agreement for 3 more years by basically writing a new 4 year deal that starts now with lots of upfront $$ in guaranteed $$.   This would not be signing bonus as that would prorate out over 4 years and count against the cap.  Make years 3 and 4 be minimal guaranteed or prorated $ and we could walk away after 2020 and we pay him when we have spare coin

2 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

As OBD has $$ this year and next they may selectively take a proven player - say Jerry Hughes - and extend his agreement for 3 more years by basically writing a new 4 year deal that starts now with lots of upfront $$ in guaranteed $$.   This would not be signing bonus as that would prorate out over 4 years and count against the cap.  Make years 3 and 4 be minimal guaranteed or prorated $ and we could walk away after 2020 and we pay him when we have spare coin

I like Hughes and I'll say he hasn't had a whole lot of help.  However he's been slightly over paid for his production and I'd like to leave it where we sit right now.  Now if he starts of strong, would I give him an extension, sure.  I don't see the need at this moment - in fact he's, IMO, someone that the decision to extend him isn't answered yet. 

3 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

I wouldn't extend White until his contract is up. I wouldn't extend Milano until his rookie contract is up. No sense in paying more for a player you don't have too. 

Yes, there is. It offers a long term assurance and security that they'll be retained. Additionally it allows you to front load a contract while you have the extra money and leave less guarenteed money on the table down the road. 

9 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

White is a first round pick so ok, but Milano is grossly underpaid so they should reward him after his 3rd season.

After the draft Milano will be Least important player on defense and the easiest to replace via the draft.  If they can get him at a reasonable price then sure go ahead and extend him. But the more important positions to spend money on will be Hughes or Hughes replacement .

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

After the draft Milano will be Least important player on defense and the easiest to replace via the draft.  If they can get him at a reasonable price then sure go ahead and extend him. But the more important positions to spend money on will be Hughes or Hughes replacement .

All Milano does is makes plays.  He led the league in takeaways before getting injured.  He was the number 2 graded LB in the AFC East.

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Yes, there is. It offers a long term assurance and security that they'll be retained. Additionally it allows you to front load a contract while you have the extra money and leave less guarenteed money on the table down the road. 

If the front office does their job that should never matter because we should always have money. 

You don't pay players more now because you are afraid you'll lose them in two years. It's just not good cap strategy. 

You won't be able to keep all the homegrown talent anyways.